The Sasquatch Project

Sasquatch

The Sasquatch Project

Post by Sasquatch »

The Background:

I am brand new to Tactical Barbell, but I have been training consistently for 20+ years. Coast Guard veteran and washed up football player who now sits at a desk WAY TOO MUCH.

The past two+ years, I have been training in my garage, exclusively with Kettlebells. Specifically, I have completed the "Simple" standards of S&S, and two rounds of KB Strong (Geoff Neuport) for the Clean & Press and Front Squats with Double 24kg and Double 28kg's.

TB seems like an ideal way to satisfy my love for both Barbell and KB work AND get in the conditioning work that I need to get done. I am almost 42. Conditioning and Mobility are no longer "optional" for me. Hip and Shoulder Mobility work have to happen DAILY. I also struggle with Pull Ups because I don't train them. I don't train them because I struggle with them. Now that is out in the open, I'm going to be a grown ass man, and deal with these challenges.

Conditioning, Mobility, Pull Ups and Sitting Less. Those are my top 4 *NEEDS*. My mental well being also requires that I am constantly getting stronger.

It's been a while since I have done any Barbell work, so the weights that I am starting with are conservative, and very humbling!

The Plan:

Base Building - Rucking with 80lb vest will be my go to for "E". I'll do longer Rucks (60-90+ minutes) with a 40lb vest once per week.

Fighter Cluster: OHP, SQ, Pull Ups* and DL (1x per week).
*Following the Figher Pull Up Program - 3RM

SE: Simple and Sinister - 100 swings, 5+5 TGU

HIC: Most likely will be Resets on the airdyne bike (aka The HellBeast) in my basement. That thing sucks, but I know it will make a man out of me.

The Ask:

I am not a fragile snowflake. I can handle feedback. I try to have the mindset of a perpetual beginner, and realize that I have plenty still to learn. I am also brand new to TB, so if I do something dumb/wrong please call me on my shit.
Last edited by Sasquatch on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sasquatch

Re: The Sasquatch Project

Post by Sasquatch »

Training - Week 1; December 6-10, 2016

Sunday: Max Strength (75%); OHP - 5x5 @ 95; SQ - 5x5 @185; FIgher Pull Ups; DB Rows 5x5+5 @75lbs
First barbell "workout" in almost 3 years. Starting light.

Monday: (E)30 minutes rucking @ 80lbs + Fighter Pullups - didn't think to measure distance. Will begin doing that going forward.

Tuesday; (E) 30 minutes rucking @ 80lbs + Fighter Pullups

Wednesday: Max Strength (75)% OHP - 5x5 @ 95; SQ - 5x5 @185; DL- 1x5 @ 240; FIgher Pull Ups

Thursday: Recovery - Hip Should Moblity Drills, Static Stretching

Friday: 30 LSS on Airdyne (ice storm)
Saturday: REST
Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Welcome!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Welcome mate!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Hey man how were your results with Kettlebell Strong? I was doing a bit of reading on it awhile back, but there didnt seem to be to much out there on it. Sounded like a good program if you ever in a situation where you couldnt get to a gym for awhile.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

KS-90 wrote:Hey man how were your results with Kettlebell Strong? I was doing a bit of reading on it awhile back, but there didnt seem to be to much out there on it. Sounded like a good program if you ever in a situation where you couldnt get to a gym for awhile.
It's a good program for increasing the size bells you can train with. 100% as advertised in that regard. Like most minimalist programs, it gets really monotonous after a while.

Sasquatch

Week 2 Day 1

Post by Sasquatch »

W2 D1: Max Strength (80%)

Squats: 5x5 @ 200
OHP: 5x5 @ 115
Pullups: 25 total reps performed in sets of 1-2 through out workout. (fighter pullup plan is too much volume for my elbows at this point.)

Extras:
DB Bench - 3x8+8@75
DB Row - 3x8@60

Notes: Weights are really light. Can't wait to retest at the end of BB cycle. It feels very good to be back in a gym performing Barbell lifts again.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Welcome mate.

I like the rucking in place of running. Is there any major reason you have chosen that as your main form of LSD?

Good job on the light start with the barbells. Give it a couple cycles and you will be outdoing all your lifts from 3 years ago.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Maxrip13 wrote:Welcome mate.

I like the rucking in place of running. Is there any major reason you have chosen that as your main form of LSD?

Good job on the light start with the barbells. Give it a couple cycles and you will be outdoing all your lifts from 3 years ago.
Thanks for the encouragement!

I actually enjoy rucking and I know myself well enough to realize that adherence to a running program would be much more of a challenge for me. The weather has been shit here over the last week, so I have been doing some LSS on my airdyne.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

W2D2 - E 40 minutes

40:00 LSS Airdyne ride; 141 avg bpm
20:00 Foam Rolling & Static Stretches