Josh's log

Josh

Josh's log

Post by Josh »

Hello all,

Background

I started running a couple of years ago, working up to a very slow half marathon last fall. I also ran a Starting Strength Linear Progression starting in September of 2016. I ended up gaining a bunch of fat and a bunch of aches and pains, while losing the aerobic base I built for myself.

I bought the Tactical Barbell books a while ago, but the Starting Strength kool-aid is strong and I spent 6 months after my novice progression trying to push my 5s on the big 4 lifts, with little progress and lots of joint stress.

Male 36, 220lb 5'10"
My recent top sets
Squat 260x3
Bench 195x5
Press 115x5
Deadlift 320x5

My last run was 2.1 miles in 24:17

Goals
My short term goals are:
  • Complete base building
    Lose some weight
    Rehab my elbows,shoulders, and hip flexors
    Run a sub hour 10k
    Learn to lift in a constructive, not destructive manner
Plan
I plan on starting My base building block on Monday. Between now and then, I'll try out my SE circuit and get in another run or two.
I think my circuit is going to be:
Squats
Push-ups
Single leg Romanian Deadlifts
Inverted rows
Back extensions

Josh

Re: Josh's log

Post by Josh »

7/5/17
9am
2.1 miles 24:17
5:2 run:walk ratio
I bailed on the last two minutes of the workout as my left ankle was starting to feel funny.
Last edited by Josh on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/6/17

SE trial ~12 minutes I think. I need to use a timer
Squats
Push-ups
SLRDLs
Inverted rows
Supermans
First set I did 20 reps. Squats seemed super easy, push-ups seemed about right. The single leg RDLs are more of a balance exercise. I had to rest pause the rows: 12,7,1. The second set I did 10s of everything. I'm going to do the Alpha version of base building, and I'm going to switch out lunges for squats
Last edited by Josh on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/7
Insomnia run
2.5 mi in 30:30 mins on the treadmill
Need to regulate sleep

Josh

Post by Josh »

Basebuilding
Week 1 Day 1
11:30pm
SE 3x20: 34:49

Squats Push-ups SLRDLs iRows Supermans

I rest-paused the rows and the last pushup set. Elbows and right shoulder feel ok immediately after. I didn't want to wait until Monday.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Basebuilding
Week 1 Day 2

Run/Walk
5:2x5=33 minutes 2.7 miles

Rehab circuit:
2 rounds of shoulder dislocates, low bar stretches, band pull aparts, db curls and planks

I also took my two daughters on a quick mile bike ride to the park and then back.
I also did 4x15 @80lb on the lay pulldown while I was doing laundry.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Basebuilding
Week 1 Day 3

Run/walk
5:2x5= 33 minutes 2.7 miles
It felt maybe a little slower, especially the uphill parts

Rehab circuit
3x
20 ezcurls @40
10 shoulder dislocates
15 band pullaparts
Low bar stretch
Plank

I miss lifting heavy, but I feel so much better after a few weeks off. It kind of makes me want to run green protocol when I'm done with BB

Josh

Post by Josh »

Basebuilding
Week 1 Day 4
SE
1x20= 7:34

I got called away to deal with sick kids after the first set and was too tired to get back to it. I thought it might have been the bike rides and walks I went on with the girls. When I woke up this morning, I had the head cold my girls have: mystery solved. I'm going to cal yesterday my recovery day and redo my SE today.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Base Building
7/13
Week 1 combo: 2nd SE last E workout

Run/Walk
5:2x6ish = 39:44 3.2 miles
5 minute break
SE 2x20 16:25

Dad-life got in the way the past two days. So I did the last two workouts of the week back to back. The run was my towns local 5k route. The last time I ran it was in April and it was a minute faster, but I'm not thinking of time right now.
The SE went ok, the last couple of push-ups were tough, but the squats went quick and I think I'm getting better at balance during the Single leg RDLs. iRows are still done rest-pause style. Tomorrow is a rest day but unless I go for a hike or quick jog, week 1 is in the books

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

I was strong on that Starting Strength kool-aid for a while last year too haha. Base building brought me into a great spot so keep it up. Had some fluffiness prior to starting Tactical Barbell and base building really helped bring me into overall shape as well as bringing my run time way down. Good luck.
1/7