That One Special Supplement...

MuftiMike

That One Special Supplement...

Post by MuftiMike »

What's the one supplement that has no science backing it (or shaky science), not supposed to work, the subject of skepticism....but you absolutely swear by?

You know what, let's say it can be a legitimate supp too. One you don't want to be without.

For me it's NO2. It's basically just high dose arginine-akg. But it improves my cardio workouts, takes longer for me to tire out, and yes-- it actually does give me a bit of a "pump" which feels good but not the reason I take it. It's possible it's placebo but I don't think so.

J-Madd

Re: That One Special Supplement...

Post by J-Madd »

This one is probably pretty silly (and I'm not really sure this counts as a supplement), but I really have found it to work. About two years ago I started squeezing the juice of a whole lemon and mixing it with the quart of water I always drank first thing in the morning. I have to say - placebo alert - I really do feel better throughout the morning when I do that. I seem to have more energy, my joints seem to warm-up better for my workouts in the AM, and I tend to drink less coffee.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

J-Madd. Did you drink the same amount of water without the lemon before? Maybe it's just a hydration thing, but hell, I love some lemon water I'll try it out.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Coq10 helps my energy and cardio levels. Although I think it's relatively well supported scientifically.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Tym87 -- No, I had been starting the day with a quart of water long before I added the lemon. I honestly have no doubt this really is just some psychosomatic placebo phenomenon, but I nevertheless have to admit that I get a kick out of my fresh-squeezed lemon each morning. It's probably all in my head, but I still like it.

umbledore: “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” ;)

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

J-Madd wrote:This one is probably pretty silly (and I'm not really sure this counts as a supplement), but I really have found it to work. About two years ago I started squeezing the juice of a whole lemon and mixing it with the quart of water I always drank first thing in the morning. I have to say - placebo alert - I really do feel better throughout the morning when I do that. I seem to have more energy, my joints seem to warm-up better for my workouts in the AM, and I tend to drink less coffee.
I couldn't find the article, but this reminds me of the lime/lemon and salt water Berardi was recommending after wake up. Something to do with being alkaline and having electrolytes.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I'm boring. I like coffee.

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

ZMA.

Without it my libido suffers during a training block. Definitely not placebo.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Green2Blue wrote:I'm boring. I like coffee.
Without caffeine, I have no reason to live.

NathanC77

Post by NathanC77 »

I'd love to use coffee as a supplement, but at this point I need it just to get to my baseline energy level and stave off headaches, so it's hard to consider it a performance enhancer. I would like to wean myself off of it at some point just to be able to get greater effects pre-workout.

I love ZMA. I definitely experience deeper and less interrupted sleep when I take it. I usually take it most weekdays.

Whey protein is a nice thing to have around to try and hit desired protein intake. Plain whey and water kind of messes with my stomach, and I don't feel great if I drink milk either. However, I've found that mixing whey protein with some of that powdered peanut butter (sort of low fat powdered peanuts that turn into more or less peanut butter when mixed with water) and adding water makes pretty delicious high protein peanut butter. I'd recommend it, especially if you're not a fan of standard protein shakes.

Finally, I think regular fish oil makes my joints feel better, but it's pretty subtle and could definitely just be a placebo effect.