That One Special Supplement...

MuftiMike

Re: That One Special Supplement...

Post by MuftiMike »

Balaclava wrote:Coq10 helps my energy and cardio levels. Although I think it's relatively well supported scientifically.
Interesting. This is one I've been meaning to try for a while.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

MuftiMike wrote:
Balaclava wrote:Coq10 helps my energy and cardio levels. Although I think it's relatively well supported scientifically.
Interesting. This is one I've been meaning to try for a while.
If I take too much it keeps me up at night....so it's doing something.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:
J-Madd wrote:This one is probably pretty silly (and I'm not really sure this counts as a supplement), but I really have found it to work. About two years ago I started squeezing the juice of a whole lemon and mixing it with the quart of water I always drank first thing in the morning. I have to say - placebo alert - I really do feel better throughout the morning when I do that. I seem to have more energy, my joints seem to warm-up better for my workouts in the AM, and I tend to drink less coffee.
I couldn't find the article, but this reminds me of the lime/lemon and salt water Berardi was recommending after wake up. Something to do with being alkaline and having electrolytes.
It kills the acidity and makes your digestive system ready for another day. Hence it spikes the whole methabolism.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Carl Gustav wrote:High quality magnesium's my secret sauce. Glycinate, Malate or Aspartate. Almost mandatory these days with the widespread high-stress lifestyle, use of stimulants and poor sleep habits. Night and day difference for me.
I tend to agree. What is interesting that I don't feel the same affect from ZMA. Glycinate does work well. I have started to take it on the regular basis with running BB. I take it for Black as well now.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Carl Gustav wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Carl Gustav wrote:High quality magnesium's my secret sauce. Glycinate, Malate or Aspartate. Almost mandatory these days with the widespread high-stress lifestyle, use of stimulants and poor sleep habits. Night and day difference for me.
I tend to agree. What is interesting that I don't feel the same affect from ZMA. Glycinate does work well. I have started to take it on the regular basis with running BB. I take it for Black as well now.
Have you tried switching up ZMA brands? I find ZMA sometimes packs a bigger punch than just magnesium by itself. If you find magnesium helpful you might also want to into potassium. Very easy for hard training athletes to be potassium deficient for all the same reasons as magnesium. Caffeine depletes it, it's lost in sweat, and high sodium intake affects it as well.
I haven't tried different brands for ZMA. You might be right.

As for potassium.. I started to eat more bananas on regular basis. So on my conditioning days I'd have one banana pre- and one post-. It is funny how one simple change can turn things around. It did improved my BB significantly.