Reading List

The Lounge
nickgoldma

Re: Reading List

Post by nickgoldma »

So I have a tendency to start reading multiple books but typically get distracted with other parts of life and have a hard time finishing them. With that being said, for military type of reads, "Extreme Ownership" by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin (both former US Navy Seals) is a great read about leadership, and how their military experiences applies to leadership and ownership in life. Secondly, stuff about law enforcement is always up my alley, too. "Making of a Detective" by Harvey Rachland is a great read and I highly recommend it. I also want to pick up "Trident Warriors" by Mike Ritland who trained military working dogs for the Seal Teams.
Get after it!

HICsterDoofus

Post by HICsterDoofus »

J-Madd wrote:I thanks Mikhou! We'll check those out. Have you done a Wrinkle in Time? We read that on a long car ride once. I love that book. I rember when my 4th grade teacher read that to us.
If you enjoyed Narnia and Madeline D'Engle, you'll probably enjoy the fantasy series by Lloyd Alexander, the Prydain Chronicles. The Black Cauldron, Book of Three, etc.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

J-Madd wrote:Gouchy -- That's a great series of books! Good for you and the kids. I'm sure you are having fun with your kids now, but it gets even better as they get older and they start to share your interests directly. This summer my oldest and I spent a lot time in the garage pumping iron and talking about Orwell. What could be better?
J-Madd, that is pretty awesome. I'm teaching my boys (6-7) how to get their first pullup. They can both manage one each on the rings, but the straight bar has them beat still. They beg to "workout" with me, I hope the enthusiasm doesn't wane.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Training-wise, I'm reading "Primal Endurance" by Mark Sisson. Some of it I knew already, some of it is quite interesting, and a good bit of it falls in line with TB protocols.

Outside of training, I just finished "Becoming a Barbarian" by Jack Donovan. Cannot recommend it and the prequel, "The Way of Men", highly enough.
I'll take a look at those three. Mark Sisson and his website, Marksdailyapple.com opened my eyes to a whole new world when I was in college, I remember specifically going paleo and learning how to do pullups almost immediately after. Is it worth the squeeze or is it mostly stuff from the website?

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

nickgoldma wrote:So I have a tendency to start reading multiple books but typically get distracted with other parts of life and have a hard time finishing them. With that being said, for military type of reads, "Extreme Ownership" by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin (both former US Navy Seals) is a great read about leadership, and how their military experiences applies to leadership and ownership in life. Secondly, stuff about law enforcement is always up my alley, too. "Making of a Detective" by Harvey Rachland is a great read and I highly recommend it. I also want to pick up "Trident Warriors" by Mike Ritland who trained military working dogs for the Seal Teams.
I have reading ADD too. I'll usually have 2 or 3 going at once. I've been toying with Extreme Ownership, been in my wishlist for awhile, but I've heard conflicting reviews. I'm adding Making of a Detective to my list now, I love True Crime and Detective Fiction. I started an Audible account last year and finished every Michael Connelly book over the course of the year. If you like Detective fiction, there is no better than a Harry Bosch novel.

Stechkin

Post by Stechkin »

Just finished:
Skunk Works by Ben Rich
Sled Driver by Brian Shul

Current:
Unintended Consequences by John Ross

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tym87 wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:So I have a tendency to start reading multiple books but typically get distracted with other parts of life and have a hard time finishing them. With that being said, for military type of reads, "Extreme Ownership" by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin (both former US Navy Seals) is a great read about leadership, and how their military experiences applies to leadership and ownership in life. Secondly, stuff about law enforcement is always up my alley, too. "Making of a Detective" by Harvey Rachland is a great read and I highly recommend it. I also want to pick up "Trident Warriors" by Mike Ritland who trained military working dogs for the Seal Teams.
I have reading ADD too. I'll usually have 2 or 3 going at once. I've been toying with Extreme Ownership, been in my wishlist for awhile, but I've heard conflicting reviews. I'm adding Making of a Detective to my list now, I love True Crime and Detective Fiction. I started an Audible account last year and finished every Michael Connelly book over the course of the year. If you like Detective fiction, there is no better than a Harry Bosch novel.
Love Bosch. The only police procedurals I can stomach. You might want to try "The Poet" by the same author, set in the Bosch universe but not a Bosch book.

Oh, and don't bother with the Bosch TV show...it's terrible.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Wow! Lots of good ideas here for my next book. Keep em coming!

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd wrote:I thanks Mikhou! We'll check those out. Have you done a Wrinkle in Time? We read that on a long car ride once. I love that book. I renumber when my 4th grade teacher read that to us.
J-Madd, A Wrinkle in Time is on our reading list. We keep a pretty long one so that we know what is coming next after the book that we are currently reading!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

TangoZero wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
Love Bosch. The only police procedurals I can stomach. You might want to try "The Poet" by the same author, set in the Bosch universe but not a Bosch book.

Oh, and don't bother with the Bosch TV show...it's terrible.
HA! I loved the TV show to be honest. At least the first season... The second season in my eyes wasn't as up to par and thought they over did it with the stupid action sequences but I still found that other than that, it was enjoyable. Thats just me though.

Yes, I have been wanting to check out the Michael Connelly books myself. Should I just start on the first one or is there one you recommend I start with?

As for Extreme Ownership, give it a whirl anyway. Anybody can take something valuable away from it.
Get after it!