Member Introductions Thread

The Lounge
Aiwacht

Thanks for the fine books + intro

Post by Aiwacht »

Hi-

New here, civilian, working my way back to being in shape after a) a long layoff (two years) and b) injury/surgical repair (two inguinal hernias, repaired non-mesh in Dec. 2017).

I'm 51, 5'10 & 160, in decent shape all thing considered. I was a long distance mountain runner for a few years until foot injuries stopped me. Most of my life I've also been a bicycle-as-transport guy, until 5 years ago. Started lifting weights as a super skinny 30-year-old (140#) and got strong/fat topping out at 215# using Super Squats and Strongest Shall Survive (these are the old equivalents of Starting Strength & Stronglifts, basically).

Around 2007 got into kettlebells via Crossfit (stopped Crossfit in 2008 due to recurring injuries), Valery Federenko, and Dan John and still use them a lot.

The last few months (after the surgery in Dec.) I have been slowly ramping up from easy bodyweight/TRX type stuff and now more kettlebells & SE work, as well as walking. I have a few hip & leg issues I am working on now, mostly disuse & post-op that I expect to be corrected in the next couple of months. Until then mostly walking for an hour a few days a week & riding the bike for an hour or so once a week.

Found Tactical Barbell via the Dan John forum, and love it. Have now read I & II + AA. This is certainly the approach I will be using for my training going forward. I'm working up some programming questions due to very limited equipment at the moment, once I have those down and clear I'll post them.

Thank you to K.B & J. Madd for the fine work!

Aidan

Barkadion

Re: Thanks for the fine books + intro

Post by Barkadion »

48 y.o. here. Started TB while ago after long painful recovery from injury. Have been training TB since there. Getting into BB following by Black continuation was THE best way to get back to the training.

Good luck with your TB journey! Cheers.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Re: Thanks for the fine books + intro

Post by J-Madd »

Aiwacht wrote:Hi-

New here, civilian, working my way back to being in shape after a) a long layoff (two years) and b) injury/surgical repair (two inguinal hernias, repaired non-mesh in Dec. 2017).

I'm 51, 5'10 & 160, in decent shape all thing considered. I was a long distance mountain runner for a few years until foot injuries stopped me. Most of my life I've also been a bicycle-as-transport guy, until 5 years ago. Started lifting weights as a super skinny 30-year-old (140#) and got strong/fat topping out at 215# using Super Squats and Strongest Shall Survive (these are the old equivalents of Starting Strength & Stronglifts, basically).

Around 2007 got into kettlebells via Crossfit (stopped Crossfit in 2008 due to recurring injuries), Valery Federenko, and Dan John and still use them a lot.

The last few months (after the surgery in Dec.) I have been slowly ramping up from easy bodyweight/TRX type stuff and now more kettlebells & SE work, as well as walking. I have a few hip & leg issues I am working on now, mostly disuse & post-op that I expect to be corrected in the next couple of months. Until then mostly walking for an hour a few days a week & riding the bike for an hour or so once a week.

Found Tactical Barbell via the Dan John forum, and love it. Have now read I & II + AA. This is certainly the approach I will be using for my training going forward. I'm working up some programming questions due to very limited equipment at the moment, once I have those down and clear I'll post them.

Thank you to K.B & J. Madd for the fine work!

Aidan
Thank you for your support of TB and AA! We couldn't do it without guys like you who go and plug away at the programs. Please post those questions when you get them formulated! I look forward to "talking."

AB28

Re: Member Introductions Thread

Post by AB28 »

Hello all! first post, been lurking for about a month and thought id join the forum, first forum ive ever joined for that matter. really looking forward in getting to know everyone here and learn as much as i can.
A little bit about myself, im 19 y/o currently in the Army and on deployment. im 5'8 and around 152lbs, my lifts at the moment are
SQ - 231lbs
BP - 143lbs (not happy with this one)
DL - 308lbs
always had a runners build on the go, hopefully be able to stack some muscle after BB (currently on week 3 using alpha circuits and a bodyweight cluster) while still maintaining my running.
I stumbled across TB about a month and a half ago while looking for a well rounded program that fits the needs of someone in my job as its hard to find a program that i can fit in with my unit pt.

Cheers,

AB.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

AB28 wrote:Hello all! first post, been lurking for about a month and thought id join the forum, first forum ive ever joined for that matter. really looking forward in getting to know everyone here and learn as much as i can.
A little bit about myself, im 19 y/o currently in the Army and on deployment. im 5'8 and around 152lbs, my lifts at the moment are
SQ - 231lbs
DL - 308lbs
always had a runners build on the go, hopefully be able to stack some muscle after BB (currently on week 3 using alpha circuits and a bodyweight cluster) while still maintaining my running.
I stumbled across TB about a month and a half ago while looking for a well rounded program that fits the needs of someone in my job as its hard to find a program that i can fit in with my unit pt.

Cheers,

AB.
Welcome to the forums, AB.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

AB28 wrote:Hello all! first post, been lurking for about a month and thought id join the forum, first forum ive ever joined for that matter. really looking forward in getting to know everyone here and learn as much as i can.
SQ - 231lbs
DL - 308lbs

Cheers,

AB.
Cheers, mate!

AB28

Post by AB28 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:
SQ - 231lbs
DL - 308lbs

Cheers,

AB.
Welcome to the forums, AB.
Cheers, Guys!

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Hi my name is Mike, totally new here and to the TB training protocols. I've started a training log in the appropriate section for my first try at an 8week BB.
I'm 57 years old. I spent 17 years in the US Army 12 years in the 82nd and now just retired from 23 years of LE. During my LEO career I worked Patrol, gangs, UC narcotics, bomb squad. Now just kind of old, fat and beat up. Med limitations I'm babying a bad shoulder not really sure how it got injured just started hurting during any overhead motion been to several PT's had a DPT tell me he thinks amrotator cuff issue but with light isolation work with a band I can. Feel that the issue is Anterior and not posterior. Thanks no that I might have tweaked it while benching in a multiply bench shirt. And 2 years ago I had a cerebral aneurysm, they cut into my melon and clipped it. And they warned me that excessive blood pressure might cause the clip to pop off and I would bleed to death(stroke) so I think my days of geared powerlifting are done, now I'm more interested in the health aspect of training. I've read a report that said that the majority of retired LEO's die within 5 years of retirement. Mostly from health issues of nightly adrenaline dumps and getting our nutrition from the drive thru window of some of the shadiest places around besides the king, the clown and the toy. So after reading the TB 3rd edition, TB 2 and the ageless athlete. I decided to try and stack the odds in my favor, which is why I'm here. To steal a phrase I got from I can't remember where to make me "Hard to Kill". In the past 20 years I've dabble in powerlifting and gave Crossfit a try. For those that don't think it's a cult, try and quit a Crossfit gym!!
I'm here to learn so if anytime anyone sees any post of mine feel free to add your knowledge or experience. Everyone has something to offer. If I did not want any help I would have just bought the books and drove on from there. I joined the forum to gain from the collective knowledge of all here.
Thanks
Mike

Tigerstr

Post by Tigerstr »

Hi gents,

Being 54 years old, this seems the perfect place to introduce myself :)

I live in Athens Greece ,work in the Media sector and have been sort of a couch potato for about 20years, besides some competitive shooting (Some IPSC but mostly Clay shooting)

Last couple of years I started military simulation Airsoft and understood how much my conditioning had fallen. Started working up at home with weights, some jogging etc. Lost about 10 Kgs right now I am 1.84 and 87 Kgs. Bench 1RM is 75 kg maybe a bit more since I can’t go all out as I don’t have a spotter, OHP is 50 kgs

I have a bad back so I only do up to 65 kg Deadlifts and body weight squatting exercises. Hoping to fix my form on SQ and DL in order to try and get more serious weights rolling, without the back complaining (herniated discs) will see how that one goes.

On vacation right now, found out the TB books, downloaded and read all of them and I think that this is the way I want to go following the Ageless Athlete guidelines, (Thanks for writing it J-MADD :) ) as my prime objective is getting stronger and keeping up with the young bucks in lengthy tactical Milsim Airsoft events that tend to have a lot of Km to cover up and down hills with gear guns and stuff.

My main concern is that I am starting at a late age and without substantial strength and endurance, but since I have a very low resting heart rate (52) and I am generally quite healthy I trust that time will be on my side.

My plan goes like this:

During late October I will run my first 5k race, so I started a 12 week three rimes a week training program which I will combine starting last week of August with the Fighter Template.
After the race I will switch to the Base Building phase and then to Operator I/A for Ageless Athletes with Black protocol.

Glad to be here will certainly be looking for any help and advice from fitter and more experienced ageless athletes/members :)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tigerstr wrote:Hi gents,

Being 54 years old, this seems the perfect place to introduce myself :)

I live in Athens Greece ,work in the Media sector and have been sort of a couch potato for about 20years, besides some competitive shooting (Some IPSC but mostly Clay shooting)

Last couple of years I started military simulation Airsoft and understood how much my conditioning had fallen. Started working up at home with weights, some jogging etc. Lost about 10 Kgs right now I am 1.84 and 87 Kgs. Bench 1RM is 75 kg maybe a bit more since I can’t go all out as I don’t have a spotter, OHP is 50 kgs

I have a bad back so I only do up to 65 kg Deadlifts and body weight squatting exercises. Hoping to fix my form on SQ and DL in order to try and get more serious weights rolling, without the back complaining (herniated discs) will see how that one goes.

On vacation right now, found out the TB books, downloaded and read all of them and I think that this is the way I want to go following the Ageless Athlete guidelines, (Thanks for writing it J-MADD :) ) as my prime objective is getting stronger and keeping up with the young bucks in lengthy tactical Milsim Airsoft events that tend to have a lot of Km to cover up and down hills with gear guns and stuff.

My main concern is that I am starting at a late age and without substantial strength and endurance, but since I have a very low resting heart rate (52) and I am generally quite healthy I trust that time will be on my side.

My plan goes like this:

During late October I will run my first 5k race, so I started a 12 week three rimes a week training program which I will combine starting last week of August with the Fighter Template.
After the race I will switch to the Base Building phase and then to Operator I/A for Ageless Athletes with Black protocol.

Glad to be here will certainly be looking for any help and advice from fitter and more experienced members :)
Cheers mate! Good luck with your TB journey. It is never too late to start ;)