Member Introductions Thread

The Lounge
Satchmo

Re: Member Introductions Thread

Post by Satchmo »

J-Madd wrote:
Welcome to the forum Satchmo. Are you going to keep a training log?
Thanks! I'm thinking about it. Not sure I want that accountability. ;-)

Crepsucule

Post by Crepsucule »

matt76 wrote:Hi all.

My name is Matt and I'm from Tasmania, Australia. Great to be part of this forum (it's my first one).
Hah, holy crap, I grew up in Tassie :lol:

Hey all,
I'm Dane, 25 and a Detainee Service Officer in Aus Immigration Detention (Think prison officer with no actual powers, woo hoo). I'm currently applying for a Medical Technician job with the Aus Army, passed all of the application process but no billets open until at least June 17, able to pass all of the basics to get in but aiming to smoke the BFA (Basic Fitness requirements at all times after basic) before I go in. Shift worker in a small town with limited access to a gym and TB seems like a great fit and makes a helluva lot of sense so jumping in with both feet.

Nice to meet ya all :)

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Crepsucule wrote:
matt76 wrote:Hi all.

My name is Matt and I'm from Tasmania, Australia. Great to be part of this forum (it's my first one).
Hah, holy crap, I grew up in Tassie :lol:

Hey all,
I'm Dane, 25 and a Detainee Service Officer in Aus Immigration Detention (Think prison officer with no actual powers, woo hoo). I'm currently applying for a Medical Technician job with the Aus Army, passed all of the application process but no billets open until at least June 17, able to pass all of the basics to get in but aiming to smoke the BFA (Basic Fitness requirements at all times after basic) before I go in. Shift worker in a small town with limited access to a gym and TB seems like a great fit and makes a helluva lot of sense so jumping in with both feet.

Nice to meet ya all :)
I am also from tassie, but haven't lived there for 8 years due to joining the army. My immediate family is still down that way. I got out earlier this year and posted in a base building thread you started in regards to giving you a heads up re: the fitness for army.
Good to see some other australians on here.

StrosWs17

Post by StrosWs17 »

Hello everyone. I've lurked this forum for a couple of weeks and based on many of y'all's testimonials I decided to buy the 2nd and 3rd version of the book and after reading them both for myself I can say I'm fully looking forward to next week when I start my base building. For a little background about me I'm a current college student with a powerlifting football background. About a year ago after realizing I have no desire to work in the field I'm majoring in I decided to look into other options and after a lot of research and reflection I decided that Army SF is my goal. To get there I was advised to lay off the weights as I was a 275 pound lineman and per recommendations I followed Stew Smith's workouts for around six months. While Stew's workouts are great and I definitely saw gains in my physical abilities I was getting burned out which is how I stumbled on this forum. I want to thank everyone on here because the vast amount of knowledge on this forum is staggering and I hope I can start to contribute to the forum.

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Greetings!

My name is Stefan, 33 years old swede. Been training since late 90´s. At that time thaiboxning and Krav Maga. Started training powerlifting-ish in around 2008 and got much stronger. Weighted in at 95kg. The lifts were SQ 145kg x 5, BP 115kg x 1, DL 180kg x 5. My goal became lifting heavy despite the form was lacking (you have heard it before). Long story short, I got injured in my lower back, lost my passion for powerlifting, started trail running, lost 15kg of bw (muscle.) Last year I ran 4 half-marathons, and a couple of 10k races.

Realized I had to do something weight training related so I started with kettlebells, noticed some strength gains, and foremost swings worked for my back. I have tried to incorporate deadlifts again from scratch several times but it seems impossible. Started doing S&S, registered on StrongFirst forum and thought (I wanted to believe them) S&S would make me bullet proof. It did not.

I don't like whom I´ve become. Now I am that skinny-fat who can run a half-marathon any given day but struggle with 80kg in the bench, a weight I used to max rep for close to 20 reps. I want to be strong again, I want to be complete. Bought the kindle versions of TBI and TBII and loved them! I feel it was written for me! :)
If a fight is inevitable, hit first.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Stefan Olsson wrote:Greetings!

My name is Stefan, 33 years old swede. Been training since late 90´s. At that time thaiboxning and Krav Maga. Started training powerlifting-ish in around 2008 and got much stronger. Weighted in at 95kg. The lifts were SQ 145kg x 5, BP 115kg x 1, DL 180kg x 5. My goal became lifting heavy despite the form was lacking (you have heard it before). Long story short, I got injured in my lower back, lost my passion for powerlifting, started trail running, lost 15kg of bw (muscle.) Last year I ran 4 half-marathons, and a couple of 10k races.

Realized I had to do something weight training related so I started with kettlebells, noticed some strength gains, and foremost swings worked for my back. I have tried to incorporate deadlifts again from scratch several times but it seems impossible. Started doing S&S, registered on StrongFirst forum and thought (I wanted to believe them) S&S would make me bullet proof. It did not.

I don't like whom I´ve become. Now I am that skinny-fat who can run a half-marathon any given day but struggle with 80kg in the bench, a weight I used to max rep for close to 20 reps. I want to be strong again, I want to be complete. Bought the kindle versions of TBI and TBII and loved them! I feel it was written for me! :)
Welcome Stefan! I've been there with the S&S brother. It's a nice little GPP program with some positives, but slightly (!) exaggerated in terms of the real world end results it'll bring you.

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Aelian wrote: Welcome Stefan! I've been there with the S&S brother. It's a nice little GPP program with some positives, but slightly (!) exaggerated in terms of the real world end results it'll bring you.
Thank you!

I concur, S&S is great for some stuff, but now its time to get back on the real track and build myself up again and TB looks to be just what I´m looking for!

uwewhttp

Post by uwewhttp »

Greetings all!

My name is Uwe, I am 51 years old, German and work at a desk. Time and effort I put into physical training were on decline
for the last 4 to 5 years so in September 16 I decided I needed a restart. I took up a runinng (or in my case jogging) programm
and announced to my kids (cause they won't let me off the hook) that I will take our version of the Adult Fitness Test during 2017.

When I was searching for a way to integrate other fitness domains (strength, SE etc.) into my training, someone pointed me to TB.
Exaxtly what I was looking for. So after finishing the running program in February, I am going to start my first Base Building
or maybe Grouchchy's pre-Base-Building. Til then, I will add Fighter template strength training to my jogging.

Regards,
uwe

Stefan Olsson

Post by Stefan Olsson »

uwewhttp wrote:Greetings all!

My name is Uwe, I am 51 years old, German and work at a desk. Time and effort I put into physical training were on decline
for the last 4 to 5 years so in September 16 I decided I needed a restart. I took up a runinng (or in my case jogging) programm
and announced to my kids (cause they won't let me off the hook) that I will take our version of the Adult Fitness Test during 2017.

When I was searching for a way to integrate other fitness domains (strength, SE etc.) into my training, someone pointed me to TB.
Exaxtly what I was looking for. So after finishing the running program in February, I am going to start my first Base Building
or maybe Grouchchy's pre-Base-Building. Til then, I will add Fighter template strength training to my jogging.

Regards,
uwe
Welcome Uwe!

Don't forget to start a log!

GlassCityMedic

Post by GlassCityMedic »

Hello All,

Thanks for building a great forum for sharing. I am a 38 year former Canadian military medical technician and current flight paramedic. I heard about TB through my friends who are all pretty much cops, soldiers or paramedics. I just finished reading both books and I am getting started with programming. I have done a large variety of different things over the years. Prior to 2012 I was big on endurance and doing tons of half marathons/triathlon. I found I was really crumbing due to lack of strength and sustaining frequent injuries to my back/shoulders due to constant frequent lifting at my job. Around 2012 I found KB's and I took the SF kettlebell course. I have been working through a variety of Pavel's programs and most recently I spent about a year doing the ROP where I was able to press the 36 kg and do 186 snatches with a 24 kg on the snatch test. I really like the idea of a solid, progressive barbell program to move on my overall strength and at this point I think I am going to go with Operator + Black which should suit my occupational needs (and schedule) well. Definitely open to feedback on incorporating KB training into the program from people that have been there. I will post a training log once I get all my logistics organized in the next week or so. Cheers.

GCM