Reading List

The Lounge
Tym87

Re: Reading List

Post by Tym87 »

Barkadion wrote:
Tym87 wrote:So I've been laid out due to some surgery and I've found a really good book that fits the TB model by about 90℅. Training for the New Alpinism. It's a book for Alpine climbers and other mountain athletes that breaks down how to train. Build a large aerobic base, build max strength to convert to strength endurance. Etc.

There are a couple good workouts in there so far, but if you like TB and want to expand upon the scientific side of what Base building is in a pysiological sense this book nails it. There is also several stories from climbers and how different types of training helped them or hurt them. It's a great read and I'm only half done.

One killer core/upper body SE workout I might try is a treadmill hand walk. Get in a push up position in front of a treadmill set to low. Proceed to walk your hands while maintaining a plank.
You might dig seal walks. Get on to plank, place your toes on sliders or just paper plates and walk with your hands...
That seems interesting. How often do you do them and do you do it for distance? I could chase my dog around the house with those.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tym87 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Tym87 wrote:So I've been laid out due to some surgery and I've found a really good book that fits the TB model by about 90℅. Training for the New Alpinism. It's a book for Alpine climbers and other mountain athletes that breaks down how to train. Build a large aerobic base, build max strength to convert to strength endurance. Etc.

There are a couple good workouts in there so far, but if you like TB and want to expand upon the scientific side of what Base building is in a pysiological sense this book nails it. There is also several stories from climbers and how different types of training helped them or hurt them. It's a great read and I'm only half done.

One killer core/upper body SE workout I might try is a treadmill hand walk. Get in a push up position in front of a treadmill set to low. Proceed to walk your hands while maintaining a plank.
You might dig seal walks. Get on to plank, place your toes on sliders or just paper plates and walk with your hands...
That seems interesting. How often do you do them and do you do it for distance? I could chase my dog around the house with those.
One of the favorite core finishers. I usually walk back and forth in my small basement. Humbles me every time :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

BaronSamedi

Post by BaronSamedi »

Not so much reading but ive been listening to audiobooks and podcasts while doing my long runs in base building

If anyone is into history then this podcast on world war 1 is absolutely outstanding, even if youre not into history, this will get you into it

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardco ... ageddon-i/

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

My recent reading choices...

Fiction: The entire Conan series by Robert E. Howard. Got it special on Kindle for free.

Non-Fiction: "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson. Yes, it's a legit book and a darn good read.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:My recent reading choices...

Non-Fiction: "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson. Yes, it's a legit book and a darn good read.
I've had that as a recommendation for some time...

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Has anyone else picked up Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss? While not life changing, I've found a couple of nuggets of wisdom.

Geidi

Post by Geidi »

Tym87 wrote:Has anyone else picked up Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss? While not life changing, I've found a couple of nuggets of wisdom.
I've been toying with the idea of buying this but I'm not 100% sold on Ferriss.... Care to share a couple of those nuggets?

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Geidi wrote:
Tym87 wrote:Has anyone else picked up Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss? While not life changing, I've found a couple of nuggets of wisdom.
I've been toying with the idea of buying this but I'm not 100% sold on Ferriss.... Care to share a couple of those nuggets?
Mostly other books to read and some purchases based on reviews. One really useful thing was on improving sleep through playing 10 minutes of Tetris of all things. Sauna use for endurance improvements. I found a new tea to drink as well. I find it hard to recommend, if you don't already like Ferriss this won't win you over. If you love Ferriss odds are you already listen to the podcast where all of this is sourced from.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi. I'm a big nerd.

But recently I've gotten into non-fictions and I'm loving it. I read The Way of Men first. I thought the first half was fascinating, defining what it means to be a man and explaining why men do what they do. The second half was a little political and I didn't buy all of it. Still a great read.

Now I'm reading How to Win Friends and Influence People. This book is common sense, and a revelation at the same time. I've always been a bit of a stoic introvert; some people that work for the city have nicknamed me Sgt. Serious. But making a serious effort to implement the practices in this book have actually changed a lot of my outlooks on social interaction, and it's been a lot of fun too. I highly recommend it.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Green2Blue wrote:I read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi. I'm a big nerd.

But recently I've gotten into non-fictions and I'm loving it. I read The Way of Men first. I thought the first half was fascinating, defining what it means to be a man and explaining why men do what they do. The second half was a little political and I didn't buy all of it. Still a great read.

Now I'm reading How to Win Friends and Influence People. This book is common sense, and a revelation at the same time. I've always been a bit of a stoic introvert; some people that work for the city have nicknamed me Sgt. Serious. But making a serious effort to implement the practices in this book have actually changed a lot of my outlooks on social interaction, and it's been a lot of fun too. I highly recommend it.
I'll have to check those out. I'm a introverted stoic as well. I did read Ender's Game a few weeks ago and was shocked at how much I loved it. Easily one of my favorite books now. I'm currently reading Natural Born Heros and I'm still skeptical of a lot of the claims so far, but the storylines that it follows are really good.