Member Introductions Thread

The Lounge
Nomad

Re: Member Introductions Thread

Post by Nomad »

GlassCityMedic wrote:Hello All,

Thanks for building a great forum for sharing. I am a 38 year former Canadian military medical technician and current flight paramedic. I heard about TB through my friends who are all pretty much cops, soldiers or paramedics. I just finished reading both books and I am getting started with programming. I have done a large variety of different things over the years. Prior to 2012 I was big on endurance and doing tons of half marathons/triathlon. I found I was really crumbing due to lack of strength and sustaining frequent injuries to my back/shoulders due to constant frequent lifting at my job. Around 2012 I found KB's and I took the SF kettlebell course. I have been working through a variety of Pavel's programs and most recently I spent about a year doing the ROP where I was able to press the 36 kg and do 186 snatches with a 24 kg on the snatch test. I really like the idea of a solid, progressive barbell program to move on my overall strength and at this point I think I am going to go with Operator + Black which should suit my occupational needs (and schedule) well. Definitely open to feedback on incorporating KB training into the program from people that have been there. I will post a training log once I get all my logistics organized in the next week or so. Cheers.

GCM

Welcome, you'll love it here. This forum is the best I've come across for the tac/1st responder community. Lots of Canadians here by the way, including a few BC boys and gals, myself included.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Intro

28 year old male, well 29 in a couple weeks- however, new to TB. Background is prior MIL with USCG and USAF, did some counter drug and rescue work for those groups- now I am starting a new career with a State LE agency. Like many of you, I have bounced around plenty of other barbell/tac/functional programs and happy to have stumbled here and hope to contribute when able to.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

alottadav wrote:Intro

28 year old male, well 29 in a couple weeks- however, new to TB. Background is prior MIL with USCG and USAF, did some counter drug and rescue work for those groups- now I am starting a new career with a State LE agency. Like many of you, I have bounced around plenty of other barbell/tac/functional programs and happy to have stumbled here and hope to contribute when able to.
Welcome! Good to have you on board.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Welcome mate :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Longtucky

Post by Longtucky »

Hi All,

I am a 28 year old LE hopeful. TB changed my training habits/view - I was that guy who always trained to exhaustion and never made any serious gains. Since reading the books and moving into BB I have honestly never felt better - even though I'm not near in shape as I was when I was playing semi-pro soccer! I've never ran 5 miles without stopping until I began BB. I feel great and cannot wait to see where I go with the program.

Goals are, obviously, to be able to perform as a deputy/officer, but I also have aspirations of joining my state's Army National Guard.

fazer681

Post by fazer681 »

Hi guys, some of you may have already seen me posting in other threads/boards.

So now id like to officially introduce myself.

I am an honorably discharged Marine, was enlisted back in 05. Was deployed once to Ramadi, during the drawdown. So it was pretty much just tumble weeds out there.

Found TB a couple years ago, but never actually got the chance to read it, or actually dig in. Nor did I have the time or equipment (or drive for that matter) to actually get started. It wasnt until after I read TB2, that I decided to start a program to get back in shape.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and see all the progress that everyone can/is making! (including myself!)

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Welcome Fazer and thanks for your service! Don't be afraid to bring up any questions!

fazer681

Post by fazer681 »

J-Madd wrote:Welcome Fazer and thanks for your service! Don't be afraid to bring up any questions!
Thanks J-Madd, I will be sure to ask lots of questions! haha

snake

Post by snake »

Hey guys! Feeling very lucky I found TB and this forum. Been dabbling on and off with Sealfit, Crossfit, Crossfit Endurance, StrongLift 5x5, MARSOC Preparation Program, Gymnastic Strength Training, MMA and whatnot for the last five years. Each program has its perks and I've learnt a ton with each program. But something has been missing.

I'm in a top unit in my country's military. Heavy rucking, operating on low amounts of sleep and food in unforgiving weather and terrain have had a profound impact on my development as a person; learning to trust my comrades, looking out for each others and keep on motivating and grinding on no matter how shitty things get. I love my job.

I have however been missing a key ingredient in the pussle. My run times haven't decreased. My maximal strength HAS decreased. I can go on for longer and maintain a sharp edge in the field despite the suck, but I don't feel like I'm making progress in the physical plane as I should.
Enter Tactical Barbell.

I'm very hopeful regarding the program and I will commit. My body has been beginning to feel a bit worn out lately, around the same time as I found GST by Coach Sommers. Love GST, my mobility has increased a ton in a very short time period and I'm feeling better than I have in a long time regarding stiffness and pain. But it doesn't quite transfer into slugging around heavy objects, wearing full combat kit and moving around. Solution? I will start with base building and sprinkle in mobility exercises as I see necessary and take it from there.

Great to be part of this community, will be starting a training log ASAP. Take care guys!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

snake wrote:Hey guys! Feeling very lucky I found TB and this forum. Been dabbling on and off with Sealfit, Crossfit, Crossfit Endurance, StrongLift 5x5, MARSOC Preparation Program, Gymnastic Strength Training, MMA and whatnot for the last five years. Each program has its perks and I've learnt a ton with each program. But something has been missing.

I'm in a top unit in my country's military. Heavy rucking, operating on low amounts of sleep and food in unforgiving weather and terrain have had a profound impact on my development as a person; learning to trust my comrades, looking out for each others and keep on motivating and grinding on no matter how shitty things get. I love my job.

I have however been missing a key ingredient in the pussle. My run times haven't decreased. My maximal strength HAS decreased. I can go on for longer and maintain a sharp edge in the field despite the suck, but I don't feel like I'm making progress in the physical plane as I should.
Enter Tactical Barbell.

I'm very hopeful regarding the program and I will commit. My body has been beginning to feel a bit worn out lately, around the same time as I found GST by Coach Sommers. Love GST, my mobility has increased a ton in a very short time period and I'm feeling better than I have in a long time regarding stiffness and pain. But it doesn't quite transfer into slugging around heavy objects, wearing full combat kit and moving around. Solution? I will start with base building and sprinkle in mobility exercises as I see necessary and take it from there.

Great to be part of this community, will be starting a training log ASAP. Take care guys!
Good to see you here, mate! I hope we can use your venom for some tactical treatment :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky