Member Introductions Thread

The Lounge
Walrus Freud

Re: Member Introductions Thread

Post by Walrus Freud »

Welcome! Forensic Psychology sounds like a fascinating field.
Thanks! It really is. I've been in it for more than a decade, albeit not only in clinical work but also various administrative positions, and the patients still manage to vex me sometimes. Great fun if you´re interested (professionally, of course ;) ) in psychopathology and violence
"Some days you shine, most days you grind" (from a friend, who probably stole it from someone else :) )

Picador

Post by Picador »

Hello TBers,

m/41 Long time lurker, not really a "joiner" when it comes to forums...but this one has been immensely helpful! Prior lifting experience consists of various iterations of 531, Starting Strength, and Pavel.

I've been using TB for a little over 7 months now and I've never been in better shape. Classic Operator helped me reach a long desired goal last month, 1 x BW OH Press. I hover around 180 and hit 185 for one and a half clean reps lol. This is a goal I've chased for more than 5 years (falling well short), so needless to say I'm sold on the power of TB!

I have to put it out there that the advice on this board is stellar compared to other forums I lurk on. The posts by the likes of Grouchyjarhead, Maxrip, J-Madd, Black PJs, Mikhou et al have all been extremely helpful and informative. Love the chill atmosphere here too. Looking forward to taking part in some interesting discussions!

Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hello all

I'm Dave, a mid 30s Australian who is new here. I've trained before in crossfit and competitive powerlifting, but haven't much moved from the couch in the last 2-3 yrs so am horribly detrained and unconditioned.

I own a real estate company so am mostly sedentary, either at my desk or driving around to meetings. I put in a lot of hours and am mentally exhausted afterwards which has fueled my training procrastination.

Ever since moving cities I haven't been able to find a powerlifting gym here and I can't fathom the thought of stepping foot in a commercial gym so have ordered some home gym gear that'll hopefully arrive soon. Its a squat rack with pullup bar on top, barbell, bench and a few plates. This should get me going for now (would love a kettlebell) as I'm familiar with modifying workouts to suit my abilities and stuff available. Also have a beat up old concept 2 rower that I'll unpack and use for some of the HICs.

At my peak I was fairly strong but was always 'spinning my wheels' when it came to overall fitness. TB just made so much more sense to me. I bought and read both books a while ago and have been lurking the reddit and here ever since. Always like learning more.

I hope to return to playing basketball next season (I played from high school up til mid 20s) so some of the training will be towards that goal. I'm hoping to lose a few % bodyfat, increase strength, speed and endurance. My endurance is and always has been my worst attribute so am looking forward to finally having a structured method for improving that.

Plan is to do SE variant of base building first, then operator and black afterwards. Wish me luck :p

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Dave1 wrote:Hello all

I'm Dave, a mid 30s Australian who is new here. I've trained before in crossfit and competitive powerlifting, but haven't much moved from the couch in the last 2-3 yrs so am horribly detrained and unconditioned.

I own a real estate company so am mostly sedentary, either at my desk or driving around to meetings. I put in a lot of hours and am mentally exhausted afterwards which has fueled my training procrastination.

Ever since moving cities I haven't been able to find a powerlifting gym here and I can't fathom the thought of stepping foot in a commercial gym so have ordered some home gym gear that'll hopefully arrive soon. Its a squat rack with pullup bar on top, barbell, bench and a few plates. This should get me going for now (would love a kettlebell) as I'm familiar with modifying workouts to suit my abilities and stuff available. Also have a beat up old concept 2 rower that I'll unpack and use for some of the HICs.

At my peak I was fairly strong but was always 'spinning my wheels' when it came to overall fitness. TB just made so much more sense to me. I bought and read both books a while ago and have been lurking the reddit and here ever since. Always like learning more.

I hope to return to playing basketball next season (I played from high school up til mid 20s) so some of the training will be towards that goal. I'm hoping to lose a few % bodyfat, increase strength, speed and endurance. My endurance is and always has been my worst attribute so am looking forward to finally having a structured method for improving that.

Plan is to do SE variant of base building first, then operator and black afterwards. Wish me luck :p
Good luck with your TB journey, mate!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Barkadion wrote:

Good luck with your TB journey, mate!
Thanks, have read through your log. Will start my own in due course and hope I can be as consistent as you.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Welcome aboard Dave. Just put the work In during base, and you will love where you end up!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:

Welcome aboard Dave. Just put the work In during base, and you will love where you end up!
I’d add that getting into BB on the first place has changed my understanding of training. I wouldn’t be here, I guess., if I didn’t trust the TB structure and followed it by the book in the beginning.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Good to see another Aussie bloke here mate.

The home gym is the way to go. I have access to multiple gyms through work and I still love my old shaky power rack out in the garage.
Nothing better than that 5 sec walk and not waiting on equipment.

Enjoy the journey and I love that you already have a goal to work towards.

hargravej

Post by hargravej »

Hey all,

I’m a mid 30’s dude from the south who stumbled inadvertently into TB. I was browsing the internet one day while working out, looking for something related to what I was doing (can’t remember what) and Ageless Athlete showed up in my goggle search. Read a sample of it, and thought it sounded pretty good. So, I bought it and read it. Loved the ideas in it, and once I figured out it was based on the TB books, bought both of them and read them. The light bulbs in my head started going off. It was quite amazing.

I am in LE, currently in a criminal investigations role. Not as high speed as I have been in the past, but still feel the need to remain fit. Prior to this, I have been slowly wandering my way through the fitness world, attempting to (seemingly aimlessly at time) find my way to some programming that fit what I felt I needed. I had ideas, but struggled articulating them as I really had no knowledge on how all the pieces fit together. TB laid it out for me and made total sense in relation to my goals.

Started BB in late November and have taken a week or so off, and will begin my continuation tomorrow. I’m excited for the journey and where it will take me. Love the forum and the available knowledge base. It has already helped immensely just reading through it and searching the topics I had questions about. I’ll be keeping a training log on the forum and hope to be an active member of this community.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

hargravej wrote:So, I bought it and read it. Loved the ideas in it, and once I figured out it was based on the TB books, bought both of them and read them. The light bulbs in my head started going off. It was quite amazing.
:D , it is amazing! Welcome mate. Have a good TB journey!