Member Introductions Thread

The Lounge
snake

Re: Member Introductions Thread

Post by snake »

Barkadion wrote:
snake wrote:Hey guys! Feeling very lucky I found TB and this forum. Been dabbling on and off with Sealfit, Crossfit, Crossfit Endurance, StrongLift 5x5, MARSOC Preparation Program, Gymnastic Strength Training, MMA and whatnot for the last five years. Each program has its perks and I've learnt a ton with each program. But something has been missing.

I'm in a top unit in my country's military. Heavy rucking, operating on low amounts of sleep and food in unforgiving weather and terrain have had a profound impact on my development as a person; learning to trust my comrades, looking out for each others and keep on motivating and grinding on no matter how shitty things get. I love my job.

I have however been missing a key ingredient in the pussle. My run times haven't decreased. My maximal strength HAS decreased. I can go on for longer and maintain a sharp edge in the field despite the suck, but I don't feel like I'm making progress in the physical plane as I should.
Enter Tactical Barbell.

I'm very hopeful regarding the program and I will commit. My body has been beginning to feel a bit worn out lately, around the same time as I found GST by Coach Sommers. Love GST, my mobility has increased a ton in a very short time period and I'm feeling better than I have in a long time regarding stiffness and pain. But it doesn't quite transfer into slugging around heavy objects, wearing full combat kit and moving around. Solution? I will start with base building and sprinkle in mobility exercises as I see necessary and take it from there.

Great to be part of this community, will be starting a training log ASAP. Take care guys!
Good to see you here, mate! I hope we can use your venom for some tactical treatment :lol:
Might as well use the same venom for smart-ass remarks :D Looking forward to valuable input along the way! I've got some questions, but I'm not quite there yet in the program where it's relevant. One step at the time.

steelman1223

Post by steelman1223 »

Hey everyone, finally decided to try out TB. Purchased both books and studied them pretty hard.
My goal is to get back to being more well rounded. My conditioning has gone by the way side because I've focused so much on strength/powerlifting type programs.
Also, I'm an Infantry squad leader in the national guard and looking to pick up a few "cool guy" schools in the near future.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

Greetings..

Not a LEO or Military just a 50 sumthin' year Dad with a 10 year old daughter. Ex jock, have done Highland Games, I hunt, have a room full of toys, weights, a kettlebell or two, jump rope, tire stack for a heavy bag and gymnastic rings . Recently found TB and bought both through Kindle and have Ageless Athlete pre ordered.. I think TB2 makes a lot of sense, I have always hated endurance work but now see how the endurance and strength complete each other. I have my base building program lined out and used Grumpyjarhead's modified for my wife. I read TB2 before 1 , will get onto it but I am going to do BB like I am supposed to and not get distracted! I have a little arthritis in my left knee, so going to see how the " easy does it" works. For 3 years in the spring i jumped out on Couch to 5k only to pull up lame.. Ortho ask me why I couldnt do something besides run, well, Have you ever seen an ecliptical 5K?? Didnt think so. I also really want to get my old butt into a Go Ruck or Mudder type onstacle course. Have been low rep guy for years but see how they work together and look forward to S/E s and the like.

TB1, now dont stone me, sounds a lot like Pavel's Power to the People, which I did 15 or so years ago. It made sense too and worked. Look forward to asking you folks a bunch of questions as I progress through these 3 books.

thanks

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

GiGis Daddy wrote:Greetings..

Not a LEO or Military just a 50 sumthin' year Dad with a 10 year old daughter. Ex jock, have done Highland Games, I hunt, have a room full of toys, weights, a kettlebell or two, jump rope, tire stack for a heavy bag and gymnastic rings . Recently found TB and bought both through Kindle and have Ageless Athlete pre ordered.. I think TB2 makes a lot of sense, I have always hated endurance work but now see how the endurance and strength complete each other. I have my base building program lined out and used Grumpyjarhead's modified for my wife. I read TB2 before 1 , will get onto it but I am going to do BB like I am supposed to and not get distracted! I have a little arthritis in my left knee, so going to see how the " easy does it" works. For 3 years in the spring i jumped out on Couch to 5k only to pull up lame.. Ortho ask me why I couldnt do something besides run, well, Have you ever seen an ecliptical 5K?? Didnt think so. I also really want to get my old butt into a Go Ruck or Mudder type onstacle course. Have been low rep guy for years but see how they work together and look forward to S/E s and the like.
Welcome! Good to have you. It looks like you have a lot of valuable experience of your own that you've built up over the years..I'm sure we'll be learning a thing or two from you as well.
GiGis Daddy wrote:TB1, now dont stone me, sounds a lot like Pavel's Power to the People, which I did 15 or so years ago. It made sense too and worked. Look forward to asking you folks a bunch of questions as I progress through these 3 books.

thanks
I won't stone you, but I'll toss a pebble;) Power to the People is basically linear progression coupled with high frequency. TB is closer to waved or undulating periodization. Big difference. PTTP is excellent but it has much more in common with Starting Strength or Stronglifts than it does with TB.

GiGis Daddy

Post by GiGis Daddy »

Pebble taken! Guess I was referring more to some things I read about not pushing to failure and per centages, havent read TB1 yet. Need to get both in printed version, somethings you just need in paper! Fun starts today with SE Circuits 3x20!

B71

Post by B71 »

Hello!

I'm 45, a first-time Dad to twins (now 10 months old), I have 17-ish years of military experience, not all of it in a row. After a few years out, I have just gotten back in full-time this summer and I am loving it.

I recently got into the best shape of my adult life but I have come to the realization that powerlifting and bodybuilding-based training no longer meets my needs and goals (although it's a ton of fun to train that way). I want to move better, improve my strength:weight ratio and vastly improve my endurance. I liked the idea of Crossfit but I just couldn't bring myself to join the cult. Then last week, I found TB, combed through the forum, and I bought TB I, TB II and AA.

Today I started Block 1 Base Building using J-Madd's AA template and tomorrow will be the first time in I-don't-know-how-many-years that I will run for 30 minutes.

I'm looking forward to getting into the program, digging into the forum and, hopefully, contributing a little value to the community.

Cheers.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

B71 wrote:Hello!

I'm 45, a first-time Dad to twins (now 10 months old), I have 17-ish years of military experience, not all of it in a row. After a few years out, I have just gotten back in full-time this summer and I am loving it.

I recently got into the best shape of my adult life but I have come to the realization that powerlifting and bodybuilding-based training no longer meets my needs and goals (although it's a ton of fun to train that way). I want to move better, improve my strength:weight ratio and vastly improve my endurance. I liked the idea of Crossfit but I just couldn't bring myself to join the cult. Then last week, I found TB, combed through the forum, and I bought TB I, TB II and AA.

Today I started Block 1 Base Building using J-Madd's AA template and tomorrow will be the first time in I-don't-know-how-many-years that I will run for 30 minutes.

I'm looking forward to getting into the program, digging into the forum and, hopefully, contributing a little value to the community.

Cheers.
Welcome aboard!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Cheers.
Welcome mate! I'm 47, 1st time dad with twin girls 10 month old. I'm not copying and pasting, I swear under TB oath :D

I'm looking forward to see your progress! Have a great TB journey!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Cheers.
Welcome aboard B71! If you have any questions, or I can be helpful, please don't hesitate to post.

By the way, I have twins too -- though they will turn 13 this summer. That first year is tough. I remember bringing them home from the hospital, and I remember their first birthday cake. What happen during the intervening twelve months is very foggy. :D

I hope that first run goes well today. Remember just to put the work in.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Cheers.
Welcome to the forums!