SE - Difference in Approach

MxS/SE/HIC/E
spemma

SE - Difference in Approach

Post by spemma »

I recently came across the Navy SEAL Physical Training guide and thought that it was well put together. It is very similar in terms of approach and theory of the fine TB work.

One departure I noticed was with regards to SE prep. We are all familiar with Alpha and Bravo circuits.

The SEAL guide advocates focusing on one SE exercise at a time, sub maximal reps, with abbreviated rest time. For example, push-ups would be 4-5 sets of 15-20 reps with slow eccentric portion and 1 minute rest between sets. Only after completing push ups would you move on to the next exercise, like sit-ups.

What gives rise to the slight variation in approach? Would one approach train SE slightly differently than the other? Or no material difference?

I know both are good approaches, I'm curious if either elicits different training responses, or in the end, they both end up in the same place.

http://navyseals.com/wp-content/uploads ... -guide.pdf

Seabassius

Re: SE - Difference in Approach

Post by Seabassius »

I'm not an expert but I think some periodization would prevent injuries. That seems like a steep ramp for that long a period without some recovery weeks built in.

Maxrip13

Re: SE - Difference in Approach

Post by Maxrip13 »

Training forselection is different to day to day training. You are training to be able to do those specific exercises for seal selection. You need to be able to rep out pushups and the theory is you have already done the alpha /bravo type circuits in the past or atleast something similar.

Think of tac barbell as base building for that type of program.