How to count your sports in the conditioning protocol

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TangoZero

Re: How to count your sports in the conditioning protocol

Post by TangoZero »

WallBilly wrote:Thanks to KB and the others for the valuable feedback.

I think I read Starting Strength 400 times and all the TB books 200 times.

Well, maybe 7 times each, but in really good detail. :D

Every time I read a section again or post a question here on the forum, I learn something new, which is awesome.

The issue of being very sports-active and still trying to be a TB Black or Green athlete is still quite the trick.

If I play in net 3 times a week, do operator, and take a day totally off, I am doomed without doing 2 workouts a day a couple of times a week. If you're a 23 year old kid, have at it. At my age and interests, and actually having to show up at work in the morning, playing in net 3X/week and actually getting in 3 Op strength training sessions consistently over a 6 month period was considered by me to be a major victory.

In response to Spemma, yeah, I really intended to play in net 3X/week, do Operator, and some conditioning on top of that. I was hoping the hockey would cover the conditioning. In the real world, it never happened. So I'll drop down to Fighter this year and try to see if it works out better.

Are you able to drop sports once or twice a year for Base Building? BB carries over well for me and then I don't need as much cardio during Continuation to build on it.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

TangoZero wrote:
Are you able to drop sports once or twice a year for Base Building? BB carries over well for me and then I don't need as much cardio during Continuation to build on it.
Yes. I have done strict 8 week BB the last two Springs. I start the week after hockey ends.

I enjoy it a lot, getting the cardio back, and getting a bit of a break from the heavy weights.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

This has been an extremely informative thread.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

OK, I have more data. Sorry if I am murdering an already dead horse!

Since hockey season started, I have lapsed on my HIC, which always seems to happen. I've been getting in at least 3 good conditioning sessions a week, though, 2x hockey and an LSS or tempo run. And Fighter (Sq/OHP/Bench/Row + Sq/OHP/Bench/Dead.) But I have not done a sprint in about a month.

Snow is on the ground now, and will be until April, so HIC must move mainly indoors. Today I invented what I will call Apex Trax. I am sure it is similar to some named TB-HIC, but it's simply 200m sprints on an indoor 200m track, followed by 10 2-hand KB swings, and about a 1 minute rest, just like Apex Hills.

Holy crap! This was NOT the same as goaltending, even though heart rate zones were similar to a more-spirited netminding session. I can tell already that my Black level of conditioning fitness has slipped with only a month of not doing focussed HIC.

KB was right again, the hockey has to be counted as E, and there's more to the "H" in "HIC" than heart rate . . . .

spemma

Post by spemma »

are you able to parse out differences in what i will say are....'neurological adaptations'....and conditioning regression? in other words, if you invented Apex Trax, it would seem likely that some material portion of the perceived exertion difference may be simply due to it being new. subsequent sessions you will be better able to calibrate and become more efficient at.

or perhaps not...

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

spemma wrote:are you able to parse out differences in what i will say are....'neurological adaptations'....and conditioning regression? in other words, if you invented Apex Trax, it would seem likely that some material portion of the perceived exertion difference may be simply due to it being new. subsequent sessions you will be better able to calibrate and become more efficient at.

or perhaps not...
I'll have to think about that. I think it might be just de-training. I looked back at my logs, and I haven't really kept up with HIC 2X/week for more like a month and a half.

Before I started slacking (and playing hockey), I did mainly Apex Hills and basic hill sprints for HIC. My hills were about 150m and moderate steepness. Apex Trax is 50m longer, but no hill, so in principle, it should be easier, right?

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

I guess my main point today is this:

If I think I can cover my HIC by only doing my sports for 6 months, I am going to be sorely disappointed with the results.

spemma

Post by spemma »

were you able to jump into goaltending into the beginning of the season, or did that take some ramp up time to feel good conditioning-wise throughout the game?

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

spemma wrote:were you able to jump into goaltending into the beginning of the season, or did that take some ramp up time to feel good conditioning-wise throughout the game?
Actually, my goaltending fitness has been probably the best in 10 years at the start of this year. I was pretty religious this summer and September keeping up with Operator or Zulu and Black/Pro, with one long LSS every weekend, and some sports and other LSS activities thrown in for grins.

I just dropped off the Black wagon when hockey started up in early October. I think I caught it in time to get it back without having to start from scratch.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:I guess my main point today is this:

If I think I can cover my HIC by only doing my sports for 6 months, I am going to be sorely disappointed with the results.
Personally, I find the outdoor conditioning and indoor conditioning are two different animals.. Well from my experience. I did good number of Airbike sprints/KB swings combo (aka indoor Apex) last year. And then I gassed out fairly quickly when I got out into real hills in the summer.. Indoor HIC is fun and it is good but I woudn't compare it with road/hill work..

Also, it usually takes me not too long to get back to reasonable HIC level. It is faster than getting my strength back..

Just my 2c..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky