Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171029:
Quick 2 mile ruck after getting home from traveling. Making up the last few miles for Pathfinder here. 32:24, 30# ruck plate.

20171030:
2 mile ruck in the AM (33:42), 4 mile ruck in the PM (1:11). 30# ruck plate for both.

20171031:
Little "Halloween" ruck workout made up by my wife in the AM. 10 exercises, 31 reps each. Push ups, goblet squats, four count flutterkicks, eight count bodybuilders, monkey @#$%kers, thrusters, walking lunges, four count hello dollies, swings, and cherry pickers.

Wore the ruck with 30# plate as I took my boys trick or treating, then once we got home I hit the treadmill to finish my last 3 miles for Pathfinder Endure. Class ran 8/1 to 10/31, and I missed some time due to injury so I didn't start until the 20th. So in 73 days I did 24 total workouts (12 ruck PT workouts, 12 other workouts), rucked 125 miles with 30#, and completed five of their challenges (US Army Physical Fitness Test score over 250; 12 mile timed ruck in under 3:30; 26.2 mile (marathon) ruck; complete a GORUCK Tough; and a 10 mile mountain ruck). Made it by the skin of my teeth, but I still did it.

I signed up for the next class again, this time Forward again which is less requirements (20 workouts, 10 of which must be a ruck workout; 75 miles; and 4 challenges). Goal is to build up to 45# with the ruck during this time. Being that these are just requirements and have no guidance, Tactical Barbell works beautifully with it.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171102:
Max strength session. Press 3x5 (95#), trap bar deadlift 1x5 (205#), then a 10 minute AMRAP of pull-ups and dips (20 and 40). McGill core circuit later tonight before some overtime.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171104:
PT + Ruck session.

PT. 5 rounds of the following for time with 45# ruck. Total time 28:14.
**Wall sit (ruck on lap) x60 sec
**Ruck swings x10
**Ruck sumo squats (holding straps) x20
**Ruck presses x10
**Ruck push-ups x10
**Ruck sit-ups (on chest) x10
**Four count flutterkicks (ruck overhead) x10

Then rucked 4 miles in 1:09 right after.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171106:
Max strength. Press for 3 work sets (100#), trap bar deadlifts for 1 work set (215#). Late start so only had a short time for some pull-ups and dips after, so only about half the volume of last session. McGill core circuit and some ROMWOD tonight.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Well I did something a tad foolish yesterday.

On Tuesday I learned that there was a free custom GORUCK Light outside of Dayton, OH for veterans only. Though I at first attempted to be boringly practical about it, thanks to my wife I convinced myself to pull the trigger on it.

So yesterday, I called off work, woke up at 0200 hours, and made over a 500 mile round trip to participate in the event. It turns out a film crew was also there, and this is going to be a commercial (though I cannot say what for yet). So for about seven hours we got beat down alongside a celebrity for this custom GORUCK event with a film crew following along. I got to meet the founder of GORUCK and some new cadre, got physically hammered, spent the whole day soaking wet and muddy, and had a great time. Despite doing little to no specific preparation for it, I thought I hung pretty well as we did have a handful of people drop out due to the intensity.

Today I had to call off work again as I am sick from being wet in under 40 degree weather all day and feel like hammered dog poop but it was an awesome experience and I am glad I did it. I think the rest of the week might be rest days...

(Once the commercial is available I will share it here.)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Well I did something a tad foolish yesterday.

On Tuesday I learned that there was a free custom GORUCK Light outside of Dayton, OH for veterans only. Though I at first attempted to be boringly practical about it, thanks to my wife I convinced myself to pull the trigger on it.

So yesterday, I called off work, woke up at 0200 hours, and made over a 500 mile round trip to participate in the event. It turns out a film crew was also there, and this is going to be a commercial (though I cannot say what for yet). So for about seven hours we got beat down alongside a celebrity for this custom GORUCK event with a film crew following along. I got to meet the founder of GORUCK and some new cadre, got physically hammered, spent the whole day soaking wet and muddy, and had a great time. Despite doing little to no specific preparation for it, I thought I hung pretty well as we did have a handful of people drop out due to the intensity.

Today I had to call off work again as I am sick from being wet in under 40 degree weather all day and feel like hammered dog poop but it was an awesome experience and I am glad I did it. I think the rest of the week might be rest days...

(Once the commercial is available I will share it here.)
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171114:
Black on Oxygen. 3 rounds with 24kg, total time 22 minutes. 90 one arm swings and about 1.5 miles ran.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171115:
Max strength session this AM. 3 work sets of press (100#), 1 work set of trap bar deadlifts (215#).

Bodyweight pull-ups and the McGill core circuit in the PM.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171118:
20 mile ruck march in 6:50. Lots of rain and a few bathroom breaks

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Having some right ankle issues after the last march, possibly pushed it a bit too much so easy week right now.

Got suckered into a 1000 rep in 7 days challenge, specifically "Peter Parkers" as below. Left/right counts as one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVyHcalg61g

Did 80 this morning, doing more tonight. 80/1000.