Weightlifting shoes?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mikhou

Weightlifting shoes?

Post by mikhou »

Hey guys. Quick question. I'm typically a minimalist (and cheap), but I'm considering getting a pair of weightlifting shoes. As I get older, my knees bother me a bit after my squat sessions - not always, but sometimes. And I have observed that sometimes I am coming up on the front part of my foot in the bottom of the squat. So I am wondering if a pair of weightlifting shoes with a raised heel would help me stay in better position at the bottom of the squat. So....
1) What's your experience?
2) Any recommendations?

mikhou

Tyr0331

Re: Weightlifting shoes?

Post by Tyr0331 »

mikhou wrote:Hey guys. Quick question. I'm typically a minimalist (and cheap), but I'm considering getting a pair of weightlifting shoes. As I get older, my knees bother me a bit after my squat sessions - not always, but sometimes. And I have observed that sometimes I am coming up on the front part of my foot in the bottom of the squat. So I am wondering if a pair of weightlifting shoes with a raised heel would help me stay in better position at the bottom of the squat. So....
2) Any recommendations?

mikhou
I’m not sure how they would help with knee problems. From what I understand, they are used for lack of mobility and to allow you to use more of your quadriceps muscles as opposed to relying on hamstrings. They also move the position of your hips, which again helps if you have lack of mobility and if your heels are coming off the ground at the bottom of the squat, you very well could. My advice? Stay minimal and work on mobility. Try some prying goblet squats before your squats sessions and look up the couch stretch by Kelly Starrett

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I agree with Tyr0331, but also I believe in weightlifting shoes. Working on mobility is beneficial but it takes time. It took more then year for me before I was able ATG squat. I still limited for proper classical front squat grip and I am going to leave it like that.

Anyway, my best experience is with Nike Romalero shoes. Those are expensive, though. But it is way more better then Adidas adipowers for example.

My dos pesos.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

mikhou wrote:Hey guys. Quick question. I'm typically a minimalist (and cheap), but I'm considering getting a pair of weightlifting shoes. As I get older, my knees bother me a bit after my squat sessions - not always, but sometimes. And I have observed that sometimes I am coming up on the front part of my foot in the bottom of the squat. So I am wondering if a pair of weightlifting shoes with a raised heel would help me stay in better position at the bottom of the squat. So....
2) Any recommendations?

mikhou
I like weightlifting shoes for squats (I wear Adidas powerlifting shows), but for nothing else. I think ultimately it's a "both-and." I work very hard to work on my hip, knee, and ankle mobility, so that I can sit in a comfortable ATG bodyweight SQ position indefinitely, but I still enjoy a little heel lift when I'm under the bar.

By the way, I find that a good pair of knee sleeves really do wonders for creaky knees when squatting.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I’ve been squatting for 10 years. I’ve always struggled with them, if I tried hard to fix my mobility or not. I’ve done ROMWOD, I’ve done MWOD, etc, but none of it helped dramatically. I started squatting last year with plates under my heels and it really helped. A couple months ago I got a pair of Romaleos because I’ve got a squat event in my upcoming strongman show and I knew I couldn’t use plates under my heels.

Game changer. Nothing has helped any of my lifts as much as weightlifting shoes have helped my squat. I highly recommend them.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Green2Blue wrote:I’ve been squatting for 10 years. I’ve always struggled with them, if I tried hard to fix my mobility or not. I’ve done ROMWOD, I’ve done MWOD, etc, but none of it helped dramatically. I started squatting last year with plates under my heels and it really helped. A couple months ago I got a pair of Romaleos because I’ve got a squat event in my upcoming strongman show and I knew I couldn’t use plates under my heels.

Game changer. Nothing has helped any of my lifts as much as weightlifting shoes have helped my squat. I highly recommend them.
Thanks for all of your responses. G2B sounds much like me. I ran a marathon years ago, and my right knee has never been the same; therefore, I have had a love/hate relationship with squats. My knee doesn't always hurt and it's not severe pain. It's just discomfort sometimes. I've worked on my mobility a lot and this has helped. I also use knee sleeves. I am stronger now at 44 than I was at 24 on every lift, including squats. I was curious about people's experience with wl shoes to see if it's worth a try. Sounds like it is. Maybe I can find some type of Black Friday sale and give them a go. Thanks again.

mikhou