The joys (and pain) of foam rolling

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mikhou

The joys (and pain) of foam rolling

Post by mikhou »

Hey, guys. I wanted to check back in with this because a few days ago, I posted asking about lifting shoes and whether it would help knee pain. See the thread here. http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=946. I'm still interested in a pair of lifting shoes, but many of the responses got me to thinking more about mobility.

First of all, I feel kinda like a knucklehead that I didn't think of this earlier. About 2 years ago, I was having some knee pain, and beginning to foam roll and to do Agile 8 multiple times per day and it really helped. And to be honest, I have kept up Agile 8 every day that I workout to this day. Here's where the knucklehead part is. I had gotten very lax with my foam rolling. Not that I wasn't doing it, but I was kinda half-heartedly doing it - just going through the motions. I would roll quickly on each IT band and adductor and do some work on my glutes, but it was quick and not very purposeful. So after the thread about shoes, and the emphasis on mobility, I grabbed my foam roller and really s-l-o-o-o-w-e-d down with it. I found a couple of really tight spots that have taken several days to work out. They were tight to the point of almost shedding a few tears while I was working on them. Well after several days of this, it's not painful to foam roll anymore, and my knee has felt exponentially better! I've also incorporated KStar's couch stretch and am working on ankle mobility.

Moral of the story: Don't forget your mobility work, and after making it a habit, don't let it become so routine that you do it half-heartedly.

So, I'm still in the market for a pair of lifting shoes, but I'm looking forward to beginning my next cycle in a couple of days with a much healthier knee and hope to keep it that way throughout this cycle.

mikhou

Tyr0331

Re: The joys (and pain) of foam rolling

Post by Tyr0331 »

mikhou wrote:Hey, guys. I wanted to check back in with this because a few days ago, I posted asking about lifting shoes and whether it would help knee pain. See the thread here. http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=946. I'm still interested in a pair of lifting shoes, but many of the responses got me to thinking more about mobility.

First of all, I feel kinda like a knucklehead that I didn't think of this earlier. About 2 years ago, I was having some knee pain, and beginning to foam roll and to do Agile 8 multiple times per day and it really helped. And to be honest, I have kept up Agile 8 every day that I workout to this day. Here's where the knucklehead part is. I had gotten very lax with my foam rolling. Not that I wasn't doing it, but I was kinda half-heartedly doing it - just going through the motions. I would roll quickly on each IT band and adductor and do some work on my glutes, but it was quick and not very purposeful. So after the thread about shoes, and the emphasis on mobility, I grabbed my foam roller and really s-l-o-o-o-w-e-d down with it. I found a couple of really tight spots that have taken several days to work out. They were tight to the point of almost shedding a few tears while I was working on them. Well after several days of this, it's not painful to foam roll anymore, and my knee has felt exponentially better! I've also incorporated KStar's couch stretch and am working on ankle mobility.

Moral of the story: Don't forget your mobility work, and after making it a habit, don't let it become so routine that you do it half-heartedly.

So, I'm still in the market for a pair of lifting shoes, but I'm looking forward to beginning my next cycle in a couple of days with a much healthier knee and hope to keep it that way throughout this cycle.

mikhou
Glad to hear it. It’s great that you are keeping up with agile 8. Good luck on the shoes. I would see what deals pop up on Black Friday