Re: Barkadion TB Logs

Post by Barkadion »

"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:Good article on soft tissue work:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/soft- ... rticle1935
I don't really believe foam rolling works much beyond short term and to assist in warming up, but I need to add something in for mobility.
I like to do mine in the 2 min rest periods, but this was a good reminder that I need to include more specific work outside my TB sessions.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:

I don't really believe foam rolling works much beyond short term and to assist in warming up, but I need to add something in for mobility.
I like to do mine in the 2 min rest periods, but this was a good reminder that I need to include more specific work outside my TB sessions.
I use foam roller as part of warm up for 1-2min. Soft tissue work for me is mostly prehab and recovery tool. It does magic sometimes..

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

I use foam roller as part of warm up for 1-2min. Soft tissue work for me is mostly prehab and recovery tool. It does magic sometimes..
I do enjoy a couple passes on the ITB/ Lower back in the first 30 sec-1 min of my rest periods. I know it says in the book just to rest, but it works for me. I know I need to do it and I definitely feel better and improve when I do.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:I do enjoy a couple passes on the ITB/ Lower back in the first 30 sec-1 min of my rest periods. I know it says in the book just to rest, but it works for me. I know I need to do it and I definitely feel better and improve when I do.
This is what I did years back prior to TB. Using RI between compound sets for prehab mobility drills. Worked great. I remember core stabilizers in between DL sets were awesome.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

11/24/17
Recovery week

Training of the week: MS/HIC/SE/E combo :lol:

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Thib's Lucky 7.. Nice one. I've used to read him while back..

https://www.t-nation.com/training/thiba ... rticle1627

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Dan John's The 40 Day Workout

A few years ago, Pavel Tsatsouline, noted kettlebell master and perhaps the keenest mind in strength I've ever met, gave me a simple program. Be wary, this program is so simple that you'll ignore its value.

For the next 40 workouts, do the exact same training program every day. (For the record, I find that most of my goals are reached by day 20 or 22, so you can also opt for a shorter period.)

Pick five exercises. I suggest you do a squatting movement like the goblet squat or overhead squat as part of the warm-up, as you don't want to ignore the movement, but it might be fun to focus on other aspects of your body.

Focus on these five movements:
- A large posterior chain movement (the deadlift is the right answer)
- Upper body push (bench press, incline bench press, military press)
- Upper body pull (pull-ups, rows, or, if you've ignored them like me, heavy bicep curls)
- A simple full-body explosive move (kettlebell swings or snatches)
- And something for what I call an "anterior chain" move (an abdominal exercise). I think the ab wheel is king here, but you can also do some movements best suited for lower reps.

Only do two sets of five reps per workout for the deadlift and push/pull exercises, and one set of 20 to 50 for the explosive move. Do a solid single set of five reps for the abs.

Never plan or worry about the weight or the load. Always stay within yourself and go heavy "naturally."

Don't eat chalk, scream, or pound on walls. Simply do each lift without any emotion or excitement and strive for perfect technique.

So, the workout might consist of these five movements:

- Thick bar deadlift
- Bench press
- Heavy biceps curls
- Kettlebell swings
- Ab wheel

For the record, this is exactly what I recently used in my workouts. I often did this five days a week, and found that my lifts naturally waved up and down throughout the week and the full 40 days. Sometimes, something like a 250-pound bench press would feel so light for both sets of five that I had to hold back on the excitement to do more sets and reps.

The secret to the program is that you get your volume from doing up to ten sets of a lift in a week and the load increases as you naturally feel like the weights are "easy." It is that simple.

The first time I tried this program under Pavel's direction, I added 15 pounds to my lifetime incline bench press during the twenty-first workout, approximately a month after starting the program. I did this max with no spotter and I got the lift for a double. It was a 15-pound improvement over my lifetime best with an extra rep as a parting gift without doing a single hard workout. Just two sets of five anytime I entered the gym.

You can certainly come up with your own variations, but try to stick with the basic five movements and don't stray far from two sets of five. You'll be amazed at how quickly your strength will improve after just a few weeks. Also, notice the element of randomness in this workout.

With a home gym, I can train this program daily, but I naturally find that I take days off here and there simply because of the nature of life. You could do all 40 (or 20) days in a row, but things will come up.

After finishing either all 40 days or when you feel your strength has come up to a level that more advanced training methods are appropriate, feel free to move along. The short time you invest in focusing on strength building will do wonders for your muscle mass as you begin to attack super sets or whatever you deem important.

The 40 Day Workout might be an excellent way to progress through the V-Diet, or any other diet strategy that involves a set number of weeks. After ending the 28 days of the diet, one's strength will take off as you ease off the strict nutritional efforts.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

11/26/17
Block#10, OWT(4) OP
(2~3-10% addition to the Block#9 TM)
Week#1, Sunday (70%)

Lifts
SSB Squat - 4x5, 165
VLP - 4x5, 140
Chins - 4x4
RI - 2-2:30 min

Finisher
Band PA - 1x40, Blue band
Body saw with sliders - 1x20, BW
x3
RI - 90 sec

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

11/27/17
Block#10, OWT(4) OP
(2~3-10% addition to the Block#9 TM)
Week#1, Monday (70%)

MS Fobbit
AD ride - 4-5 min (moderate steady effort)
FP - 1x3, 135
Rowing - 4-5 min (moderate steady effort)
FP - 1x3, 135
Repeat

Total time - 30 min