DL every other week

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

DL every other week

Post by Barkadion »

How do you structure your DL sets and %% if you are pulling every other week?

I think there are TB-ers who has done that. It is also mentioned in AA book as valid option. There was a discussion on the TB_reddit about that.. But, I can't find it.

Thank you!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

WallBilly

Re: DL every other week

Post by WallBilly »

Once when I was in the middle of a half-year of "spartan" Operator (back squat, OHP, Bench), I started to miss my deads.

At KB's suggestion, every 3 weeks or so, I just threw in a "fun", "let's see what we can do" dead workout. I'd work up to one set of 5 just to remember how they felt. No pressure, just see how she goes.

Funny thing is, as long as I am religious about my low-bar back squats, I never lose hardly any capacity on deads, even if I go a year without doing them.

Having said that, I still miss them, and am back to doing them once a week on Fighter. Even though I don't lose 1RM capacity when not doing them, I still feel benefits throughout my body when I am doing them, and they make me feel damned fine. Plus, it's just fun to throw a whole pile of plates on a bar and be able to actually pick the damned thing up.

So, I am not actually doing them every other week , but once a week, 1 work set of 5 reps, with training max, standard Fighter percentages. I actually often round up quite a bit since it's only once a week, so maybe it is closer to actual Fighter % of 1RM instead of a TM. I haven't tested deads in quite a while, it's too taxing.

I don't see any reason why that would't work every other week as well.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:Once when I was in the middle of a half-year of "spartan" Operator (back squat, OHP, Bench), I started to miss my deads.

At KB's suggestion, every 3 weeks or so, I just threw in a "fun", "let's see what we can do" dead workout. I'd work up to one set of 5 just to remember how they felt. No pressure, just see how she goes.

Funny thing is, as long as I am religious about my low-bar back squats, I never lose hardly any capacity on deads, even if I go a year without doing them.

Having said that, I still miss them, and am back to doing them once a week on Fighter. Even though I don't lose 1RM capacity when not doing them, I still feel benefits throughout my body when I am doing them, and they make me feel damned fine. Plus, it's just fun to throw a whole pile of plates on a bar and be able to actually pick the damned thing up.

So, I am not actually doing them every other week , but once a week, 1 work set of 5 reps, with training max, standard Fighter percentages. I actually often round up quite a bit since it's only once a week, so maybe it is closer to actual Fighter % of 1RM instead of a TM. I haven't tested deads in quite a while, it's too taxing.

I don't see any reason why that would't work every other week as well.
Thank you WB! That is very helpful. Just one question. When you did "fun" DL workout for every 3 weeks -> how did you go about %%? Did you use dedicated 4th day for it?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:I haven't tested deads in quite a while, it's too taxing.
Oh, yeah... :)

spemma

Post by spemma »

how about some hex bar deadlifts as a hybrid squat/deadlift? always felt like the hex bar hit both.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

spemma wrote:how about some hex bar deadlifts as a hybrid squat/deadlift? always felt like the hex bar hit both.
I've used trap bar in the past and I might use it in the future.. I am really enjoying conventional pull for now..
BTW, light trap bar deads are excellent for conditioning.. I am planning to throw it into my CG mix in the near future.

Adski

Post by Adski »

I’ve been using the Trapbar on the low bar setting for a good while now. I like it as it’s not as taxing on the low back from a recovery standpoint, but I do feel it would be good to work with both over time. Heavy swings are another good alternative to mix in as well.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Adski wrote:I’ve been using the Trapbar on the low bar setting for a good while now. I like it as it’s not as taxing on the low back from a recovery standpoint, but I do feel it would be good to work with both over time. Heavy swings are another good alternative to mix in as well.
Thanks mate. Good call.. Actually.. I have been neglecting swings with OWT lately :?

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Barkadion wrote:
Thank you WB! That is very helpful. Just one question. When you did "fun" DL workout for every 3 weeks -> how did you go about %%? Did you use dedicated 4th day for it?
I have some idea of what I should be able to do. At the end of a normal workout, if I was feeling fresh, I'd throw a dead workout at the end. I would work up slowly (6 or so warmup sets) and then just wing a guess at the work set of 5. Since it was a "fun" addition to a strict operator, I never cared to much if it was 25 or 30 pounds above or below what I had done last time. No pressure. And occasionally if I guessed to high and only got 3 reps, I didn't lose any sleep over that, either.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
I have some idea of what I should be able to do. At the end of a normal workout, if I was feeling fresh, I'd throw a dead workout at the end. I would work up slowly (6 or so warmup sets) and then just wing a guess at the work set of 5. Since it was a "fun" addition to a strict operator, I never cared to much if it was 25 or 30 pounds above or below what I had done last time. No pressure. And occasionally if I guessed to high and only got 3 reps, I didn't lose any sleep over that, either.
It seems like a reasonable approach. I think I need to wrap my head around this attitude..
Thank you!