J-Madd's Training Log

Maxrip13

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by Maxrip13 »

J-Madd wrote:Hey folks! I'm sorry I haven't been terrible active hear lately, but professional commitment (the old "day job"), family, and my all-encompassing BJJ obsession (I got my blue belt last month!) have been very jealous lately.

I've been playing around some some new approaches for a few months, in an attempt to puzzle out to train off the mat when I'm rolling x5/week. I basically now alternate between 6-week max strength blocks (basically Fighter) and six-weeks of SE or metabolic circuits (think somewhat heavier weights done in higher intensity circuit). Right now I'm in the middle of the latter. Here's what my week has looked like so far:

Sunday: Light BJJ drilling, 90 trail ride on my bike
Monday: BJJ practice (100 armbars for the warm-up), 7min matches x 5
Tuesday: Pretty easy BJJ practice (100 armor for the warm-up), 7min matches x 2, I then did 200 continuous KB snatches (35) and 100 push-ups
Wednesday: BJJ practice (100 armbars for the warm-up), 7min matches x 5
Thursday: BJJ practice, 7min matches x 5, later while hanging out at my kids soccer practice I did 50yd sprints x 15 (10 sec rests)
Awesome to hear about the blue belt mate,congratulations.

I have also fallen back in love with bjj and was looking at your log for some ideas.I am trying to increase my mat hours and also add in conditioning. I am sure I will pinch a couple conditioning sessions from your log :D

I am currently on a 20 day training holiday at Bali mma in indonesia and have been able to train twice a day and I am loving it. I got more mat time in 1week than I get in a month normally.There is no way I can maintain this schedule back home but I am maybe going to start drilling on a heavy bag/my wife to make up the sessions :D

I am finding mat time makes the difference and will be using a bare bones fighter paired with some finishers to limit any effects on my ability to train.

Good luck and enjoy your future be journey

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Maxrip13 wrote:
J-Madd wrote:Hey folks! I'm sorry I haven't been terrible active hear lately, but professional commitment (the old "day job"), family, and my all-encompassing BJJ obsession (I got my blue belt last month!) have been very jealous lately.

I've been playing around some some new approaches for a few months, in an attempt to puzzle out to train off the mat when I'm rolling x5/week. I basically now alternate between 6-week max strength blocks (basically Fighter) and six-weeks of SE or metabolic circuits (think somewhat heavier weights done in higher intensity circuit). Right now I'm in the middle of the latter. Here's what my week has looked like so far:

Sunday: Light BJJ drilling, 90 trail ride on my bike
Monday: BJJ practice (100 armbars for the warm-up), 7min matches x 5
Tuesday: Pretty easy BJJ practice (100 armor for the warm-up), 7min matches x 2, I then did 200 continuous KB snatches (35) and 100 push-ups
Wednesday: BJJ practice (100 armbars for the warm-up), 7min matches x 5
Thursday: BJJ practice, 7min matches x 5, later while hanging out at my kids soccer practice I did 50yd sprints x 15 (10 sec rests)
Awesome to hear about the blue belt mate,congratulations.

I have also fallen back in love with bjj and was looking at your log for some ideas.I am trying to increase my mat hours and also add in conditioning. I am sure I will pinch a couple conditioning sessions from your log :D

I am currently on a 20 day training holiday at Bali mma in indonesia and have been able to train twice a day and I am loving it. I got more mat time in 1week than I get in a month normally.There is no way I can maintain this schedule back home but I am maybe going to start drilling on a heavy bag/my wife to make up the sessions :D

I am finding mat time makes the difference and will be using a bare bones fighter paired with some finishers to limit any effects on my ability to train.

Good luck and enjoy your future be journey
Thanks Maxrip, and trust that I'll keep an eye on your log for ideas too!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Friday:

I alternatied the following EMOM for 20 minutes.

(1) Double 55lb KB Snatch x 5
(2) Double 55lb KB C&P x 5

I ended with some farmers carries. Solid session. I just wanted to see if I could keep that pace with heavy-ish KB doubles. My second 70lb KB is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so there might be more of this in the near future.

Saturday:

100m sprints x 4 (30 sec rest)
60m sprints x 15 (10 sec rest)

I was supposed to roll BJJ, but woke up with pink eye! I figured some sprints would keep the metabolism stoked while I'm off the mat.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I'm still on a big kettlebell jag:

Warm-up:

Various rolls, no-weight get ups, squats, etc.
Two-hand swings: 35x10, 55x10, 70x10, 88x10, 106x10

Main events:

Double Clean and Push-Press: 70-70x5x5
Double Clean and FSQ: 70-70x5x5
Snatch: 70 5L-5R x 3

Double get up: 35-35 x 3x3, 55-55x1x2 (That's mostly just a stupid human trick, but also probably has some carry over to grappling.)

Dan John's "Sparhawk" one round (each side) with a 55lb KB

By the way, here's quote from Dan John that hit home for me this week: "If you are an athlete, use your sport to condition yourself for your sport and the weight room to build the qualities of strength, hypertrophy, and mobility" (The Hard Style Kettlebell Challenge).

That's really important for me to keep in my head, as I tend to overdo my off-the-mat conditioning. If I'm rolling, typically, 5 seven minute rounds four to six days each week, the need to condition on top of that is minimal.

Seabassius

Post by Seabassius »

J-Madd wrote:Friday:

I alternatied the following EMOM for 20 minutes.

(1) Double 55lb KB Snatch x 5
(2) Double 55lb KB C&P x 5

I ended with some farmers carries. Solid session. I just wanted to see if I could keep that pace with heavy-ish KB doubles. My second 70lb KB is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so there might be more of this in the near future.

Saturday:

100m sprints x 4 (30 sec rest)
60m sprints x 15 (10 sec rest)

I was supposed to roll BJJ, but woke up with pink eye! I figured some sprints would keep the metabolism stoked while I'm off the mat.
Amazon delivery guy is going to love you!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

This was sort of a little metabolic boost before the holiday eating really takes off. :D

106 KB: 10 swings/10 goblet squats, 9 swings/9 goblet squats, 8 swings/8 goblet squats . . . 1 swing/1 goblet squat

(KB C&P/70 x3-3 -- Pull-ups x 5) x 5

Double KB Thruster/35-35 x 50, Band pull-apart x 5, ab wheel (knees) x 50 -- I did this in three sets, with minimal rest.

Merry Christmas!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

This is my daughter, Martha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG9ezv49ULg.

If size were all that mattered, the lioness wouldn't be the Queen of the Jungle.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

nice finish! she still looks a little raw but great showing nonetheless.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Tom28

Post by Tom28 »

J-Madd wrote:This is my daughter, Martha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG9ezv49ULg.

If size were all that mattered, the lioness wouldn't be the Queen of the Jungle.
That's awesome! Congratulations!

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

J-Madd wrote:This is my daughter, Martha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG9ezv49ULg.

Missed this - great video!