Losing strength with fighter?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Ncolicci

Losing strength with fighter?

Post by Ncolicci »

I am currently on my 4th week of fighter template to prepare for a law enforcement pft. On my max strength days the weights feel heavier and more difficult than they used to when I ran operator. Is this common?

grouchyjarhead

Re: Losing strength with fighter?

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Could be a variety of factors. Are you eating and recovering enough?

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Ncolicci wrote:I am currently on my 4th week of fighter template to prepare for a law enforcement pft. On my max strength days the weights feel heavier and more difficult than they used to when I ran operator. Is this common?
Operator will pretty much always make you stronger faster than Fighter. Doing the same lift 3 x week is more practice than doing it 2 x week. That goes for any program. That being said, you shouldn't be losing strength with Fighter, you should just be progressing more slowly. If you want help, you're also going to have to provide us with a lot more info:

What cluster are you using?

What are your 1rms?

Are you using a TM?

What conditioning protocol are you using? Which workouts?

As per Grouchyjarhead, we need info on your nutrition. What's your tdee?

Are you meeting your tdee?

How many grams of protein are you supposed to eat per day? Are you meeting that?

Are you eating carbs?

Are you using the retest method or forcing progression between blocks?

Ncolicci

Post by Ncolicci »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Could be a variety of factors. Are you eating and recovering enough?
Thanks for the reply.
I think my eating is well. 3 protein shakes a day one with creatine after workouts plus protein at every meal with a source of carbs. I usually eat some sort of carb before I run. Sometimes if I feel good I’ll add a 30-45 min LSS after my Mandatory training is done. I take one rest day on Sunday.

I am thinking about switching back to operator for my next block with 2 hics consisting of speed endurance work/ fast 5 and 1 E/ fun run for 60 minuets. Pushups and sit ups as finishers on strength days. Then switching back to fighter about a month before the pft to focus more on SE. Does this seem like a good idea or would I be doing too much at one time?

Ncolicci

Post by Ncolicci »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
Ncolicci wrote:I am currently on my 4th week of fighter template to prepare for a law enforcement pft. On my max strength days the weights feel heavier and more difficult than they used to when I ran operator. Is this common?
Operator will pretty much always make you stronger faster than Fighter. Doing the same lift 3 x week is more practice than doing it 2 x week. That goes for any program. That being said, you shouldn't be losing strength with Fighter, you should just be progressing more slowly. If you want help, you're also going to have to provide us with a lot more info:

Sq/bp/ DL once a week + pull ups, push ups, sit-up

What are your 1rms?
SQ-250
BP-200
DL- 265

Are you using a TM?
No training max

What conditioning protocol are you using? Which workouts? I’m following the workouts from PPLE version

How many grams of protein are you supposed to eat per day? Are you meeting that?

Are you eating carbs?

I don’t really track my rating that well. I just try to eat healthy. Alot of protein moderate carbs.

I use the retest method and go for 1rm

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Don't do the extra run and see how you feel.

You just said when you are feeling good that you add a run, that means you have days where things feel easy.
You then add extra work and feel run down for your next session.

Just do what you need to do(fighter) and walk away feeling good. You will start feeling the weights moving easier again.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Ncolicci wrote:
BlackPyjamas wrote:

Sq/bp/ DL once a week + pull ups, push ups, sit-up

What are your 1rms?
SQ-250
BP-200
DL- 265

Are you using a TM?
No training max

What conditioning protocol are you using? Which workouts? I’m following the workouts from PPLE version

Are you eating carbs?

I don’t really track my rating that well. I just try to eat healthy. Alot of protein moderate carbs.

I use the retest method and go for 1rm

Not measuring food is a big mistake imo. It's all fine until you run into a problem...like starting to stall. It's been hammered and bashed into our heads over and over on this forum (for good reason) that you need to measure your food, at least until you're practiced enough to eyeball it. It's common to underestimate how much you need to eat especially when adding a conditioning protocol to strength training.

On top of calculating your tdee, my .02:

1. Use a training max
2. Stop retesting and force progression instead. K Black made a post about this somewhere, that retesting creates bumps in 1rm too quickly so they're harder to sustain over the training block. You end up moving too fast for what you can handle.
3. You haven't mentioned how many sets you're doing, but since you're only training twice a week it's a good idea to increase the volume. Try and do a minimum of 4-5 sets per exercise. 5 is ideal imo. With the use of a training max you shouldn't have any issues.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Everything else being equal, you’ll never be as strong lifting twice a week as you would lifting three times a week.

Fighter makes the assumption you’re prioritizing other physical domains.