J-Madd's Training Log

J-Madd

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by J-Madd »

This is sort of a typical day for me right now:

AM: BJJ practice -- moderate day, I ended up doing 6 min rounds x 4 before the other guys had to head off to work. That's been pretty easy, as lately we've been doing mostly 8-10 min rounds getting ready for submission challenge tournament.

PM: Weight pull-ups/30lb x 5 x 8; hang cleans, 185/2-4 x 8

I'm on sabbatical, so I have the leisure to do these two-a-days pretty regularly.

travman

Post by travman »

J-Madd wrote:This is sort of a typical day for me right now:

AM: BJJ practice -- moderate day, I ended up doing 6 min rounds x 4 before the other guys had to head off to work. That's been pretty easy, as lately we've been doing mostly 8-10 min rounds getting ready for submission challenge tournament.

PM: Weight pull-ups/30lb x 5 x 8; hang cleans, 185/2-4 x 8

I'm on sabbatical, so I have the leisure to do these two-a-days pretty regularly.
If you are on sabbatical, are you working on a book/what are you reading pertaining to your work?

Also, are you going to increase the weight on the pull-ups or keep it at 30lb?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

travman wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
If you are on sabbatical, are you working on a book/what are you reading pertaining to your work?

I had another philosophy of mind paper that I needed to finish, which I took care of right away. I also have a big lecture I need to prepare on the eternity of the world debate in medieval philosophy and its contemporary relevance. That will actually probably morph to a couple chapters of a book. Other than that, my reading priority is Heidegger.

Right now for me the weights depend on how hard I am rolling that day (and recent days). For the pull-ups, I generally work between 20-50lbs.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:Other than that, my reading priority is Heidegger.
How do you like Black Notebooks? ;)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:Other than that, my reading priority is Heidegger.
How do you like Black Notebooks? ;)
No doubt troubling. I'll open this up in the Lounge.

Seabassius

Post by Seabassius »

Nice (ref: sabbatical). I just finished a sabbatical back toward the end of November. Took me a while to adjust to getting back on a schedule when I went back to work and my workouts suffered accordingly. Seeing yours and others posts on BJJ have me wanting to try it again. I did a very basic stint with it about 20 years ago when I was in the military.

Good luck on the book. I've got one I keep trying to motivate myself to write, but it is more personal finance related.

travman

Post by travman »

J-Madd wrote:
travman wrote:
J-Madd wrote:

I had another philosophy of mind paper that I needed to finish, which I took care of right away. I also have a big lecture I need to prepare on the eternity of the world debate in medieval philosophy and its contemporary relevance. That will actually probably morph to a couple chapters of a book. Other than that, my reading priority is Heidegger.

Right now for me the weights depend on how hard I am rolling that day (and recent days). For the pull-ups, I generally work between 20-50lbs.
Hmm. I am interested in the eternity of the world lecture. I am glad to see you are staying sharp... mentally. I have been running into Heidegger a lot. I'd like to revisit Nietzsche one more time before I give his fellow countryman a try.

Hmm, just staying there because you only need to be as strong as you need to be for your sport. Very nice.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Seabassius wrote:Nice (ref: sabbatical). I just finished a sabbatical back toward the end of November. Took me a while to adjust to getting back on a schedule when I went back to work and my workouts suffered accordingly.

I had the opposite problem on my last sabbatical. I pushed super had, and pretty much burned myself out while I was on the sabbatical. I came back to teaching grouchier than when I left!

Seeing yours and others posts on BJJ have me wanting to try it again. I did a very basic stint with it about 20 years ago when I was in the military.

I definitely encourage you to try BJJ again. My wife, at 47 years old just did her first tournament!

Good luck on the book. I've got one I keep trying to motivate myself to write, but it is more personal finance related.

That's a book that might actually do someone a bit of good!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

travman wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
travman wrote: Hmm. I am interested in the eternity of the world lecture.

I'll send you a copy when I have something.

I am glad to see you are staying sharp... mentally.

Always keep the knife sharp!

I have been running into Heidegger a lot. I'd like to revisit Nietzsche one more time before I give his fellow countryman a try.

Hmm, just staying there because you only need to be as strong as you need to be for your sport. Very nice.

Exactly. "The sabbath is made for man, not man for the sabbath." For the most part (95% of the time), I think people should follow very structured (periodized) programming for strength. However, if you are a lot of experience (decades!), you already have what you need strength wise for your goals, and there are other athletic priorities to serve, you can play a lot of your strength work based on our on the spot judgments in light of how you feel, what you have done recently, and what you have coming up. That's not a great way to make a lot of progress, but it is OK to maintain your strength levels, and that's where I'm at now. This is why I don't log very frequently anymore: If you asked how I think most people should train, I would refer you to my log from the Fall of '16, when I was following a highly structured, Black + OP I/A plan.

travman

Post by travman »

I'll be on the look out for the paper, and yes always stay sharp!

I agree, I think people should follow a structured strength program as well. Second, the strength program should be paired with some sort of conditioning. I will have to go look back at the Fall ’16 log.