Pull up progression for the weak one?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Re: Pull up progression for the weak one?

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:Grouchy, do you think that pyramid (1-2-3-2-1) can be done in place of fighter for modified BB?
I never found a traditional pyramid that effective for adding extra volume. I always liked the wave from pavels beyond bodybuilding. From memory the original drill involves a partner and alternating sets until you have a single good rep in the bank and then restarting e.g 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5 ..... Repeat till 5 is too hard.

You can do the same thing on your own, but take a set amount of breaths in the rest between to give yourself some recovery time.I like this more because each set of 1,2,3,4,5 is 15 total reps. If your current max is 8-10, you will be able to pump out these waves for multiple round with minimal issues. You can GTG or do it in one or two sessions. It's very easy to get that total volume up and it doesn't even feel hard.[/quote]

Thank you... Interesting. Make a good sense.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:Grouchy, do you think that pyramid (1-2-3-2-1) can be done in place of fighter for modified BB?
I never found a traditional pyramid that effective for adding extra volume. I always liked the wave from pavels beyond bodybuilding. From memory the original drill involves a partner and alternating sets until you have a single good rep in the bank and then restarting e.g 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5 ..... Repeat till 5 is too hard.

You can do the same thing on your own, but take a set amount of breaths in the rest between to give yourself some recovery time.I like this more because each set of 1,2,3,4,5 is 15 total reps. If your current max is 8-10, you will be able to pump out these waves for multiple round with minimal issues. You can GTG or do it in one or two sessions. It's very easy to get that total volume up and it doesn't even feel hard.
Thank you... Interesting. Make a good sense.[/quote]

Just another option to consider. Haha if you hadn't realised I love my pullups done in high volume and freqently. Its probably my favourite exercise these days :D

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

NECRO posting but I didn't want to start a new thread

I'm on my 5th week of BB and about to transition into the MS/HIC phase. After this I'll likely run OP BLK.

Now, I know WPU are the best way to improve strength with pull ups, but has anyone experimented with using BW pull ups going for more endurance numbers. I'm currently at about 15 strict dead hang pullups. I would like that to be 20. WPU have gotten me stronger but I fade out after about 10 reps or so. I am more concerned with the higher reps in regards to pull ups, given some upcoming PT tests/ selections.

I plan on using the same progression based on percentage max, but doing BW instead. 15x .70=10.5 etc and building the sets in that fashion. Has anyone tried this? Is there anything I should know ahead of time to avoid?

I'll be doing a lot of pushups in HIC work, so I will sub Bench for OHP, keep back squat. BW pull ups and do the DL 3x a week option.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

alottadav wrote:NECRO posting but I didn't want to start a new thread

I'm on my 5th week of BB and about to transition into the MS/HIC phase. After this I'll likely run OP BLK.

Now, I know WPU are the best way to improve strength with pull ups, but has anyone experimented with using BW pull ups going for more endurance numbers. I'm currently at about 15 strict dead hang pullups. I would like that to be 20. WPU have gotten me stronger but I fade out after about 10 reps or so. I am more concerned with the higher reps in regards to pull ups, given some upcoming PT tests/ selections.

I plan on using the same progression based on percentage max, but doing BW instead. 15x .70=10.5 etc and building the sets in that fashion. Has anyone tried this? Is there anything I should know ahead of time to avoid?

I'll be doing a lot of pushups in HIC work, so I will sub Bench for OHP, keep back squat. BW pull ups and do the DL 3x a week option.
I personally don't find much success with high volume pull ups done in straight across sets. You would probably have some success if BW pullups are new to you, but at around that 15 rep mark you need a lot more volume to continue improvements.

My max used to be 15 pullups. I ran Pavels fighter pullup program as part of my base build and made it to 20.
I only plugged a 10 rep max in because the progression are so aggressive. You could try it as part of your MS sessions and just do it 3 days a week.

What you are planning above might work out great for you, so feel free to give it a try. It just doesn't work that well for me.
The fighter pullup program is one of the best advances I have made in a 4-5 week period ever.

https://www.buffcoach.net/tools/29432-p ... -generator

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Maxrip13 wrote:

I personally don't find much success with high volume pull ups done in straight across sets. You would probably have some success if BW pullups are new to you, but at around that 15 rep mark you need a lot more volume to continue improvements.

My max used to be 15 pullups. I ran Pavels fighter pullup program as part of my base build and made it to 20.
I only plugged a 10 rep max in because the progression are so aggressive. You could try it as part of your MS sessions and just do it 3 days a week.

What you are planning above might work out great for you, so feel free to give it a try. It just doesn't work that well for me.
The fighter pullup program is one of the best advances I have made in a 4-5 week period ever.

When you Implemented Pavels fighter pullup- did you only use it 3x a week, or did you run it concurrently with a TB program?

I agree with you that going from 15-20+ takes a bit more and would like to mirror something that someone else already had success with, rather than trying something and getting lackluster resuls

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

alottadav wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

When you Implemented Pavels fighter pullup- did you only use it 3x a week, or did you run it concurrently with a TB program?

I agree with you that going from 15-20+ takes a bit more and would like to mirror something that someone else already had success with, rather than trying something and getting lackluster resuls

I ran it during my base build. I paired it with 3x Simple and Sinister sessions, 3x LSS runs and some work PT each week.
I used to do it following with S&S workout or standalone at a later time.I tried pullups 5 x a week as the program was written, but started to really struggle in the later weeks. That could have been due to work PT volume also.

The volume really starts to add up as the program goes on. In reality it is just like doing 5 sets across, but instead of doing all the same you wave down as you fatigue. You wouldn't think adding a rep or two every couple sets would fatigue you as much as it does.

I think it would pair really well with OP/Black. 3x a week would give you plenty of recovery and just enough work to get 85% of the results from the program as written.

If you choose to do it start conservatively. As I said I used a 10 rep max when I was at 15 reps. I never did more than 15 pullups in any set, but was able to do 20 on my testing day. My testing day was treated like any other day and I didn't even take some time to recover first. I believe I would of been good for more than 20 in hindsight.

I was going to run it a while back paired with a minimal Zulu I/A. I popped a rib at BJJ and had to stop early. At the time I wanted to hit 25+ Pull ups. I think Zulu Minimal + Fighter Pull ups would be an excellent way to maintain strength and increase those Pull up numbers in a time effective manner. I didn't get to fully test it sadly.
The plan was to pair it as follows:

Day 1- Squat + Pullups
Day 2- Press + Pullups
Day 3 -Rest/Conditioning
Day 4- Squat + Pullups
Day 5- Press + Pullups
Day 6-Rest/ Conditioning
Day 7- Rest/Conditioning

Just a couple of options I have used or thought of using to reach the same goals you are chasing.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Maxrip13 wrote:
alottadav wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
resuls

I ran it during my base build. I paired it with 3x Simple and Sinister sessions, 3x LSS runs and some work PT each week.
I used to do it following with S&S workout or standalone at a later time.I tried pullups 5 x a week as the program was written, but started to really struggle in the later weeks. That could have been due to work PT volume also.

The volume really starts to add up as the program goes on. In reality it is just like doing 5 sets across, but instead of doing all the same you wave down as you fatigue. You wouldn't think adding a rep or two every couple sets would fatigue you as much as it does.

I think it would pair really well with OP/Black. 3x a week would give you plenty of recovery and just enough work to get 85% of the results from the program as written.

If you choose to do it start conservatively. As I said I used a 10 rep max when I was at 15 reps. I never did more than 15 pullups in any set, but was able to do 20 on my testing day. My testing day was treated like any other day and I didn't even take some time to recover first. I believe I would of been good for more than 20 in hindsight.

I was going to run it a while back paired with a minimal Zulu I/A. I popped a rib at BJJ and had to stop early. At the time I wanted to hit 25+ Pull ups. I think Zulu Minimal + Fighter Pull ups would be an excellent way to maintain strength and increase those Pull up numbers in a time effective manner. I didn't get to fully test it sadly.
The plan was to pair it as follows:

Day 1- Squat + Pullups
Day 2- Press + Pullups
Day 3 -Rest/Conditioning
Day 4- Squat + Pullups
Day 5- Press + Pullups
Day 6-Rest/ Conditioning
Day 7- Rest/Conditioning

Just a couple of options I have used or thought of using to reach the same goals you are chasing.
Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I'm considering OP blk with an extra day of E........OR Black/Fighter as I'm attending a SWAT/SRT selection in May and figure the extra SE work won't hurt. I'm coming off BB into the MS portion this week, so SE foundation is there.

Starting to lean towards Black Fighter

SQ, Press (i know there's lots of log/OH work at selection) and either Power Cleans or DL. + Pavel Fighter Pullup 3x a week. on MS/SE days

My SE would likely consist of burpees and air squats/ lunges in weighted vest to train the obvious things that I know will occur.

The thinking with power cleans over deadlift, is its a lighter load....less overall stress. Plus I like Power Cleans and know I'll be running lots of hill sprints, mtn biking for my E, as well as 5k's on trails to keep aerobic work up.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I'm considering OP blk with an extra day of E........OR Black/Fighter as I'm attending a SWAT/SRT selection in May and figure the extra SE work won't hurt. I'm coming off BB into the MS portion this week, so SE foundation is there.

Starting to lean towards Black Fighter

SQ, Press (i know there's lots of log/OH work at selection) and either Power Cleans or DL. + Pavel Fighter Pullup 3x a week. on MS/SE days

My SE would likely consist of burpees and air squats/ lunges in weighted vest to train the obvious things that I know will occur.

The thinking with power cleans over deadlift, is its a lighter load....less overall stress. Plus I like Power Cleans and know I'll be running lots of hill sprints, mtn biking for my E, as well as 5k's on trails to keep aerobic work up.[/quote]

Fighter bangkok sounds like a good way to maintain your SE going into a selection. You could use the SE day as a way to practice for the smoker sessions you will likely face at your course. I really like a track based interval workout (Fun run)paired with some bodyweight SE work done for an extended time(30 + Mins). I find it's a good way to kill two birds with one stone. It doesn't hurt that I have a great track with pullup and dips bar nearby :D

Definitely make sure you get some skill/conditioning work that is specific to the selection in. Fitness is good but it can be very specific to events. Good Luck with it all mate.