Training for Swat selection + progessing in MMA

MxS/SE/HIC/E
K.B.
Site Admin

Re: Training for Swat selection + progessing in MMA

Post by K.B. »

alottadav wrote:Only thing I have to add- is I've successfully used TB to make it onto my state's SWAT team. I started with BB, switched to Black PRO for a while, then went back to BB about 6 months out to prime the aerobic system, and the last few months before the selection I turned it more into sport specific training- still following TB principles.

Example- I knew I'd likely be wearing full kit for our selection, so I did hill sprints 2x a week in a vest. I also started doing a lot more grinder style workouts carrying sandbags/ Kb's/ bear crawls and stuff that I anticipated to see at our selection. Lots of burpees in full kit. Our selection is a week long and out at a Ranch- thus I didn't anticipate much structured gym PT. We had some sleds, pull up bars, rescue dummys, tires, ropes etc, but there was no barbell or "gym" in sight.

Game it to what your selection will be focused on, and plan your training accordingly. Do they want a fast 5 mile run time? Or is it can you carry Bob who weighs 250 without kit when he's shot and drag him off the X. Ideally a mix of both, but again- each course is different and game it according to what you know the course entails.

Congrats Allotadav! That's a major accomplishment.

Kaito

Post by Kaito »

Your replies have been incredibly informative and couraging, thanks a lot to everyone that helped me out. A lot of questions were answered and im ready to do my work.

Its great to see such a bonding and friendly community.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

K.B. wrote:
alottadav wrote:Only thing I have to add- is I've successfully used TB to make it onto my state's SWAT team. I started with BB, switched to Black PRO for a while, then went back to BB about 6 months out to prime the aerobic system, and the last few months before the selection I turned it more into sport specific training- still following TB principles.

Example- I knew I'd likely be wearing full kit for our selection, so I did hill sprints 2x a week in a vest. I also started doing a lot more grinder style workouts carrying sandbags/ Kb's/ bear crawls and stuff that I anticipated to see at our selection. Lots of burpees in full kit. Our selection is a week long and out at a Ranch- thus I didn't anticipate much structured gym PT. We had some sleds, pull up bars, rescue dummys, tires, ropes etc, but there was no barbell or "gym" in sight.

Game it to what your selection will be focused on, and plan your training accordingly. Do they want a fast 5 mile run time? Or is it can you carry Bob who weighs 250 without kit when he's shot and drag him off the X. Ideally a mix of both, but again- each course is different and game it according to what you know the course entails.

Congrats Allotadav! That's a major accomplishment.
Much appreciated sir. Couldn't be more excited about it, and had my first real day of "work" with it today :D