LSS modalities

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Mike D

Re: LSS modalities

Post by Mike D »

Aiwacht wrote:
Mike D wrote:
godjira1 wrote:In place of a HR monitor (sometimes i forget) - its crazy but I do one of the following:
1) run and recite one of the few poems i know under my breath. If u can recite it, u are in the right HR zone
2) only breathe thru the nose. If u need to use mouth breathing, your HR is too high.
Thank you sir! I've never heard of using nose breathing as a way to guesstimate heart rate. The poem idea sounds good but I don't know any, so I will try the nose breathing idea. I am a natural mouth breather so it will take some work.
Thanks
Mike
I only know one, and so use it. It's an easy one, should you find yourself in need!

Eldorado
BY EDGAR ALLAN POE

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old—
This knight so bold—
And o’er his heart a shadow—
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow—
‘Shadow,’ said he,
‘Where can it be—
This land of Eldorado?’

‘Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,’
The shade replied,—
‘If you seek for Eldorado!’
Thank you Aiwacht, but I think it would take me the whole 8 weeks of BB to memorize that many words.
Thanks
Mike

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Mike D wrote:I just started my base building trying to follow the book as written. Today was my second LSS day and finally got outside to try the LSS run. It really ended up being a walk with some running mixed in. The question is that I have membership at a commercial gym, and the book stated that you can use other modalities other than a run, I assume to allow those with certain limitations to still get the work in. My limitation on the runs is that I suck at running I'm built like a hobbit, really need to loose some weight, one of my goals. I have access to a concept 2 rower and the other cardio paraphernalia at a commercial gym. The book states that that is ok, but my question is will that effect my end results. I'm a retired LEO, not an operator and my main goal is to become "HTK"/ hard to kill in the extreme sport of aging, I'm 57 now. I have read that on averages LEO's in general die within 5 years of retiring. So if I use the tower instead of running will I loose any benefit if BB other than not "greasing the groove" of runnng? In my weird way of rationalizing I would think that since I'm not a runner by trade it really shouldn't matter, but I figure should check with the more experienced for their input. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Just as a heads up there is nothing wrong with run/walking. The goal is to keep your heart rate at the required level and slowly build up the ability to run.

I am not old but carry a few injuries from the Military and I am now an active LEO. I really notice if I don't keep a base of lss running in my training. My recovery and mood drops. One way to approach it if the running is giving grief is to do an indoor LSS session every 3rd one. This will give the joints a break andgive you an option when the weather doesn't go your way.
Excellent advice (as usual) from Maxrip.
Maxrip13 wrote: I really notice if I don't keep a base of lss running in my training. My recovery and mood drops.
Bang on.

Another good option is to strap on a ruck and get some of your LSS that way - regardless, I recommend running make up 70% of your LSS work throughout Base.

This is advice is specific to your (current) situation. Others that have an existing aerobic base or are training for specific goals might be better served with different modalities. Personally, I'll forever use plain ole roadwork (and variations like Funruns) for Base. Continuation is where I'll branch out and get activity-specific if I have to.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

K.B. wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Mike D wrote:I just started my base building trying to follow the book as written. Today was my second LSS day and finally got outside to try the LSS run. It really ended up being a walk with some running mixed in. The question is that I have membership at a commercial gym, and the book stated that you can use other modalities other than a run, I assume to allow those with certain limitations to still get the work in. My limitation on the runs is that I suck at running I'm built like a hobbit, really need to loose some weight, one of my goals. I have access to a concept 2 rower and the other cardio paraphernalia at a commercial gym. The book states that that is ok, but my question is will that effect my end results. I'm a retired LEO, not an operator and my main goal is to become "HTK"/ hard to kill in the extreme sport of aging, I'm 57 now. I have read that on averages LEO's in general die within 5 years of retiring. So if I use the tower instead of running will I loose any benefit if BB other than not "greasing the groove" of runnng? In my weird way of rationalizing I would think that since I'm not a runner by trade it really shouldn't matter, but I figure should check with the more experienced for their input. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Just as a heads up there is nothing wrong with run/walking. The goal is to keep your heart rate at the required level and slowly build up the ability to run.

I am not old but carry a few injuries from the Military and I am now an active LEO. I really notice if I don't keep a base of lss running in my training. My recovery and mood drops. One way to approach it if the running is giving grief is to do an indoor LSS session every 3rd one. This will give the joints a break andgive you an option when the weather doesn't go your way.
Excellent advice (as usual) from Maxrip.
Maxrip13 wrote: I really notice if I don't keep a base of lss running in my training. My recovery and mood drops.
Bang on.

Another good option is to strap on a ruck and get some of your LSS that way - regardless, I recommend running make up 70% of your LSS work throughout Base.

This is advice is specific to your (current) situation. Others that have an existing aerobic base or are training for specific goals might be better served with different modalities. Personally, I'll forever use plain ole roadwork (and variations like Funruns) for Base. Continuation is where I'll branch out and get activity-specific if I have to.
If only I followed my own advice :D

I have been off doing some focused gymnastic ring work and have let my LSS and conditioning drop off massively. I am really starting to notice it at BJJ and I am starting to gas more often than usual. Luckily I have had no issues at work, but struggling at BJJ really drives the issue home and is why it's such a great sport for tactical types. I have also noticed my recovery has dropped off massively and a result I am making it to BJJ less and taking more total rest days a week. It's a vicious circle.

As a result my next training cycle is going to involve lots of LSS regardless of whether it's Base building or TB OP I/A. It's so easy to get HIC work indirectly that I am almost thinking of dropping it entirely outside of BJJ.

Long story short, Do your LSS work because it benefits everything and you notice when you haven't been doing it. It doesn't matter if it's running, swimming, cycling or walking, just do whatever it takes to get those sessions in.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Don't want to start a new thread- but has anyone experimented with adding some LSS after MS?

I'm talking a 20-30 cool down spin on the air dyne in the garage. (to not add extra stress on body from pounding pavement after lifts, and the extra blood flow COULD help aid recovery?)

In my bro theory it seems like it could be beneficial, keeping an LSS aspect in something like Black, while still getting heavy HIC. or is it too much?

LIFT for an hour, 30 min of slow spinning? Doesn't SEEM like too much

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I have done the same on the past. 15-20min on AD after MS at the end of my last block of 1st OWT last year. AD was originally designed as recovery and PT tool. I find it extremely helpful for killing DOMS and taking care of prehab work.

Years ago I did 15-30min power walks after non-TB lifting sessions that proved to be very useful. It gives you a lot of energy if you can get outside into O2 world and walk after pumping iron.

Just my 2c.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Barkadion wrote:I have done the same on the past. 15-20min on AD after MS at the end of my last block of 1st OWT last year. AD was originally designed as recovery and PT tool. I find it extremely helpful for killing DOMS and taking care of prehab work.

Years ago I did 15-30min power walks after lifting session that proved to be very useful as well.

Just my 2c.
I appreciate your pesos sir!

Also, I've asked before but never got a reply on here. And you're knowledgeable and have your attention at the moment so I'll fire away

metabolic signaling- obviously a 6 mile run, and 600m repeats send the body two different signals composition wise.
do y'all think you can alter that, by say,doing a 5 mile run, but at the end- hitting some hard and fast heavy sled sprints?

to almost counteract the signaling from the long run?

does that make sense? Lot of bro science talk in there- but the sprints up testosterone levels and such where as the run signals the body to get thinner and carry less body weight

EDIT- also, adding maybe 5-6, 20-30 seconds max effort sprints after a MS session- something small enough to not bring extra fatigue, but more work overall work and more stimulus, accumulating over the long haul

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

alottadav wrote:
Barkadion wrote:I have done the same on the past. 15-20min on AD after MS at the end of my last block of 1st OWT last year. AD was originally designed as recovery and PT tool. I find it extremely helpful for killing DOMS and taking care of prehab work.

Years ago I did 15-30min power walks after lifting session that proved to be very useful as well.

Just my 2c.

Also, I've asked before but never got a reply on here. And you're knowledgeable and have your attention at the moment so I'll fire away

metabolic signaling- obviously a 6 mile run, and 600m repeats send the body two different signals composition wise.
do y'all think you can alter that, by say,doing a 5 mile run, but at the end- hitting some hard and fast heavy sled sprints?

does that make sense? Lot of bro science talk in there- but the sprints up testosterone levels and such where as the run signals the body to get thinner and carry less body weight

EDIT- also, adding maybe 5-6, 20-30 seconds max effort sprints after a MS session- something small enough to not bring extra fatigue, but more work overall work and more stimulus, accumulating over the long haul
I am not that knowledgeable as it might look. Nope.

But have you tried Anaerobic Capacity? One of the best drills in the book, imho. I'd stick with the tool set that is available.. Besides, I would probably die with what you described. But I am getting old after all :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Barkadion wrote:
alottadav wrote:

Just my 2c.

I am not that knowledgeable as it might look. Nope.

But have you tried Anaerobic Capacity? One of the best drills in the book, imho. I'd stick with the tool set that is available.. Besides, I would probably die with what you described. But I am getting old after all :D

I have NOT tried the anaerobic capacity workout, I'll give that a go- I'm looking to take my training towards faster 400/600/800s now. Before I was having to worry about longer runs and E levels.

Trying to get strong and fast now. Hence all the questions.