Grouchyjarhead Training

Barkadion

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Operation Red Wings Tough and Light completed.

For the Tough - we started at 2100 and finished around 0830. The main Cadre leading the event was a former MARSOC scout sniper. We started with the Murph challenge while wearing our rucks (substituting ruck swings for pull ups due to no place to do them) and then did some immediate action drills for fun (think short sprints dropping to the prone for distance if you are not familiar with the term). We then listened to some history and hit the road carrying a good ensemble of awkward items - we had logs, plates, water carriers, and so on.

Throughout the night we did about 19 miles (including the two from Murph) and the vast majority of them heavy. I was on a log every chance I got and once we picked up "the Monster" (a short thick log you could only one man carry and only over one shoulder that was so heavy we literally were counting 50 paces with it as our turns) I was one of the ones regularly switching out on it. Naturally we found our way in the water and had some fun there as well. Near the end as we were all going uphill we had some casualty carries as well.

Went home, ate, a quick PT shower, and slept for about 90 minutes before I was up and did it again for the Light which started at 1400. Did Murph again (this time no ruck for the push ups, squats, and run but still swinging) and then we did some relay races (sprints, bear crawls, crab walks, and the "Dizzy Izzy").

We then hit the road for over 5 miles, stopping down at the water again for some fun and then we walked to a nearby field and did some hill sprints and a sprinting game. We then rucked back towards the start point but stopped at a playground where we had to take the entire class up a slide, over a tube, and across the monkey bars with rucks. So we daisy chained the rucks and everyone worked together to help them across. We then went back to the start point, talked a while, and were done.

Great time. Met lots of good people and both events were solid teams. Upon waking up today - feet are fine, legs are smoked, a bit sore but otherwise solid.
This is great log entry. It does scare me a bit to be honest..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

It was a gut check, no doubt. Had a great time though.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20180726:
4 miles in 1:02 with 40#. I then did several sets of a few ruck exercises (swings, four count flutterkicks, overhead presses, squats, and push ups). Squats did not feel too delightful today.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20180728:
Took the Cub Scouts for a hike of 3 miles (over 2 hours, they get distracted a lot) then managed to squeeze in just 1 more after. 40# ruck plus water.

20180729:
Ruck SE session. 40# ruck. Burpees, push ups, thrusters, overhead lunges, V-ups. 2x30. 42 minutes.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20180730:
3 miles with 40#, 45 minutes.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20180731:
Ruck SE session. 40# ruck. 2 sets of 30 reps of the following: burpees (no ruck today, shoulder didn't like them), push ups, thrusters, overhead lunges, V-ups. I think I'm going to be conservative and stick with bodyweight only for the burpees for this block. As enthusiastic as I am about them, I don't know if my burpee game is strong enough for them yet. 49 minutes, which makes me think the previous session was longer because I felt much stronger overall throughout this one.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Stats from last three months - 25 workouts, 138 miles rucked, 4 GORUCK events completed (Constellation 6, two Toughs, and a Light).

Pushing for Pathfinder Advanced this next three months. Bumping up to a 45# dry ruck and going to have to put a lot of work in with it. Half looking forward to it, half dreading it. We'll see how it goes.

20180801:
3 miles with 45#, under 45 minutes.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Stats from last three months - 25 workouts, 138 miles rucked, 4 GORUCK events completed (Constellation 6, two Toughs, and a Light).

Pushing for Pathfinder Advanced this next three months. Bumping up to a 45# dry ruck and going to have to put a lot of work in with it. Half looking forward to it, half dreading it. We'll see how it goes.

20180801:
3 miles with 45#, under 45 minutes.
Good luck with Pathfinder Advanced!!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thank you sir!

Current plan until the Heavy (24 hour GORUCK event) is a 6 day a week plan for the rest of August. Two short fast paced rucks and one long high mileage ruck, with three SE sessions in between.

20180802:
Ruck SE session. 45# ruck. 2 sets of 35 reps of the following: BW burpees, ruck push-ups, ruck thrusters, ruck overhead lunges, and ruck V-ups. Total time 50 minutes.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20180804:
10 mile ruck on a half mile loop with some friends. 45# ruck plus we traded out at regular intervals carrying the following extra items: a 60# sandbag, a 45# sandbag, a homemade 35# sandbag, and a 45# Jerry can full of water (the latter of which can go to Hell as far as I'm concerned). We did the occasional half mile without items but overall we probably did 7 miles under an extra load. This was a hot and heavy one, I'm beat.