Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20181206:
2 mile run in the AM, nice and comfortable (21:02). Super busy day otherwise.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20181208;
Woke up early and knocked out a boxing workout (10 rounds, same as before).

Then I ran a Cub Scout hike where we did almost 4 miles in the cold with some PT stops along the way. Wore my ruck for this one (around 30# with water).

Pull ups, planks, and ROMWOD tonight before my wife's work Christmas party. Bumping up a step with Recon Ron.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20181209:
Strength training in the AM. 20kg for one arm presses, 2x20kg for front squats, 28kg for swings, Recon Ron S5 for pull-ups. Finished with 45 sec of farmers walks with 2x50# dumbbells.

Evening ruck with a friend from church. 4 miles in about 1:22, kept stopping to sightsee. About 30# carried.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20181210:
Supposed to sprint but since I did some extra miles with a buddy of mine, decided to take it easy.

20181211:
Max strength. 20kg for one arm presses, 2x20kg for front squats, 28kg for two-handed swings, Recon Ron S5. Was supposed to do ab wheel rollouts and ROMWOD after the Cub Scout meeting, but after all the chores were done I was beat. My youngest got a workout in too - 1 pull-up followed by 10 burpees, repeated 7 times (for his age).

20181212:
2 mile run in 20:09. Recon Ron S5, planks, and ROMWOD later on. Some boxing practice with the sons and then Christmas lights before my church growth group tonight.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

How are you finding ROMWOD now that you have been doing it for a long time?
You would be coming up on nearly a year by now from memory.

I had a period of 6 months were I used ROMWOD daily and it really helped my recovery, but I never saw any real flexibility/Mobility improvements.
I never really got DOMS anymore, but I never got that increased flexibility I was chasing.

I am tossing up whether to go back to it because I definitely felt great, but I am wondering if my time is better spent doing yoga.
Yoga usually helps my recovery, mental health state and with soreness, but ROMWOD ticks the box for 75% of that and is a fraction of the cost.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I definitely have the mobility I need for day to day life. I can hit a rock bottom squat and hold it easily pretty much any time of the day. I’m not doing any splits or circus tricks, but for my purposes it does the job well. If I miss days I feel it.

I used to do yoga with the wife, but she got tired of me falling asleep during the meditation portion. Though I wasn’t the only one doing it, I was the only one snoring...

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I definitely have the mobility I need for day to day life. I can hit a rock bottom squat and hold it easily pretty much any time of the day. I’m not doing any splits or circus tricks, but for my purposes it does the job well. If I miss days I feel it.

I used to do yoga with the wife, but she got tired of me falling asleep during the meditation portion. Though I wasn’t the only one doing it, I was the only one snoring...
My problem is I already have the mobility for rock bottom squats and pistols, but for some reason I struggle to do basic stuff like touch my toes. That was the problem I found with ROMWOD and it didn't quite tick the box I was after. I definitely did recover better, but I never got the flexibility improvements I was chasing.

That end part of yoga is amazing. I don't see an issue with snoring haha.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Maxrip13 wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote:I definitely have the mobility I need for day to day life. I can hit a rock bottom squat and hold it easily pretty much any time of the day. I’m not doing any splits or circus tricks, but for my purposes it does the job well. If I miss days I feel it.

My problem is I already have the mobility for rock bottom squats and pistols, but for some reason I struggle to do basic stuff like touch my toes. That was the problem I found with ROMWOD and it didn't quite tick the box I was after. I definitely did recover better, but I never got the flexibility improvements I was chasing.

That end part of yoga is amazing. I don't see an issue with snoring haha.
I typically do some cool down stretches right after my session and do the ROMWOD before bed. It seems to give me a good balance.

20181215:
Bit of a shorter run today. 3 mile run in 34:40, pull ups, and planks.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20181216:
Max strength session. 22kg for presses (15 total reps per arm), 2x22kg for front squats (15 total reps), 28kg for two handed swings (50 reps), and bodyweight pull-ups (12 reps). Finished with a timed hold with two 50# dumbbells. Original Strength resets are progressing - the spiderman crawl is becoming comfortable although I still resort to leopard/baby crawling when going backwards.

Tonight - ab wheel rollout practice and ROMWOD.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20181217:
Busy day. Just enough time to knock out a 2 mile run in just over 23 minutes. Nice easy run.