MxS/SE/HIC/E
albatross

Re: When hiking is outside aerobic zone

Post by albatross »

That makes perfect sense. Thanks again!

wcu25rs

Post by wcu25rs »

Was cool to see this topic as I'm an avid hiker and have also been a bit curious exactly where my hiking can fit in in my first go through of BB. I'm in Western NC, so hiking without hills is virtually impossible, thus meaning keeping HR at preferred levels for BB is near impossible. I hike with a group of buddies every Thursday night so my plan so far has been to let that count as an E session even though I will probably spend most of the hike above preferred HR. Anyways, thanks for posting the topic and thanks for those who have replied so far.

albatross

Post by albatross »

Right on, WCU. Glad it helped you too.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I’m going to insert a simplistic opinion...

Who cares? If you enjoy hiking as your cardiovascular exercise then go hike. Your heart rate not being in the perfect zone for the perfect amount of time is going to make minimal difference in the end.

If you’re doing a gasser of a climb count it as a HIC, or a HIC and a LSS. 80% rule really applies here. It doesn’t have to be perfect.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

We don't use 'aerobic zone'.

E = Endurance. Any activity that lasts for 30 minutes or longer. Variable- or steady state.

LSS = Heartrate between 120-150. Steady state. Minimum 30 minutes. Specific uses like Base Building or recovery.

LSS is a type of E. It's not the only type of E.

Variable intensity (prolonged) and steady state activity (LSS) both benefit the aerobic system.

albatross

Post by albatross »

Thanks G2B and KB. I am now halfway through BB and have been less analytical about E and it is more enjoyable that way.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

albatross wrote:Thanks G2B and KB. I am now halfway through BB and have been less analytical about E and it is more enjoyable that way.
BB is when you want to get a little stricter with heartrate. Doing an occasional fun-run or ruck outside HR perimeters isn't going to screw up your BB, but the bulk of your E should be HR restricted (LSS). Continuation is when the heartrate perimeters can be discarded as needed.