OMS Programming Help

MxS/SE/HIC/E
junglejim4322

OMS Programming Help

Post by junglejim4322 »

Hey, guys. I am trying to work out my programming but I want to make sure I am doing it right. Would you mind taking a look at this and let me know if I am mistaken?

I am a civilian looking to prioritize strength and cardiovascular health at first and then ultimately move to a goal of getting bigger and leaner. I am currently about 40-50 lbs away from my goal weight.

Mass Base Building (6 Weeks) -> Operator (6W) -> Operator (6W) -> Mass Template (3W) -> Specificity (3W)

Then I plan to repeat that cycle again to close out the year while forcing progression each block when appropriate (i.e. when I "master" the weight). Once I get closer to my goal weight and my strength gains slow down, I plan to run the same cycle but instead swap out an Operator block for Mass and Specificity. Like so:

Operator (6W) -> Mass Template (3W) -> Mass Template (3W) -> Specificity (3W) -> Specificity (3W)
Or
Operator (6W) -> Mass Template (3W) -> Specificity (3W) -> Specificity (3W)

Am I off target here? I want to make sure I am applying appropriate strength training where needed and then hypertrophy where needed.

Also, if I break a 1RM for a lift while peaking during a MT, do I increase my 1RM for that lift? I would think so but I didn’t see it mentioned in the new book.

TBPenguin

Re: OMS Programming Help

Post by TBPenguin »

junglejim4322 wrote:Hey, guys. I am trying to work out my programming but I want to make sure I am doing it right. Would you mind taking a look at this and let me know if I am mistaken?

I am a civilian looking to prioritize strength and cardiovascular health at first and then ultimately move to a goal of getting bigger and leaner. I am currently about 40-50 lbs away from my goal weight.
JJ, not sure I have answers, but questions for you. What is really your priority? If strength and cardiovascular, why would you not just run Operator until you get to whatever levels you want, and then move to mass? If mass is your priority, why would you not follow the programming KB has already tested and laid out in the book? I wouldn't say you are doing it wrong, but it looks like you are trying to find a way to do everything at once. It seems a bit early for you to be customizing.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

junglejim4322 wrote:Hey, guys. I am trying to work out my programming but I want to make sure I am doing it right. Would you mind taking a look at this and let me know if I am mistaken?

Mass Base Building (6 Weeks) -> Operator (6W) -> Operator (6W) -> Mass Template (3W) -> Specificity (3W)

Then I plan to repeat that cycle again to close out the year while forcing progression each block when appropriate (i.e. when I "master" the weight).
Yes this is good. No need to keep repeating the Base Building - once a year is sufficient for your situation. Periodization is highly individual and isn't set in stone, as the year goes on you might decide to stretch out Mass Template to 6 weeks instead of 3 (or not) depending on how all your objectives are progressing.
junglejim4322 wrote:Once I get closer to my goal weight and my strength gains slow down, I plan to run the same cycle but instead swap out an Operator block for Mass and Specificity. Like so:

Operator (6W) -> Mass Template (3W) -> Mass Template (3W) -> Specificity (3W) -> Specificity (3W)

This is the one I'd go with, but cut Specificity down to just one 3-week block until you get closer to your target weight. Operator by itself will contribute to hypertrophy and (optionally) can be manipulated for more by doing 4-5 sets instead of 3. After you get some experience/time-in with the program you might want to give the Bulgarian cluster a try.
junglejim4322 wrote:Also, if I break a 1RM for a lift while peaking during a MT, do I increase my 1RM for that lift? I would think so but I didn’t see it mentioned in the new book.
Peaking is for adding intensity to the session. Other than confirming you own the weight - it has no bearing on your 1RM (for the purposes of this program). Force progression as per and carry on.

mattd1981

Post by mattd1981 »

KB,

First off, my compliments on the new book, Mass Protocol is exactly what I have been looking for. I've been running Operator I/A for nearly a year now to build my strength before reintroducing hypertrophy into my training. Now i don't need to create my own program or find one somewhere else that may or may not produce results, because I have full faith that yours will. Running OMS perpetually is a no brainer for me, so thank you for making it easy.
Im a long time follower and first time questioner on the forum, so I'm going to ask a few regarding OMS.

1. On Mass Template Week 3, Day 5 it is blank. Is it intended that you should still perform BP, SQ, WPU for 4 x 3 @ 80%?

2a. You mention that it's best to use Operator instead of Zulu or I/A since its the flagship. Are you referring to Operator I/A when you say that?

2b. I use Operator I/A now due to the heavier weights I lift, although I have no qualms about going back to OP if it's preferable. So, to my question, when running OMS is it better to use OP or OP I/A when lifting more advanced weights?

3. A bit of background on me before the question. I am roughly 20 lbs under my target weight. I do Krav Maga 2-3 times per week, which more often than not doesn't amount to much conditioning unless we are sparring or rolling. The only conditioning requirements I have are being able to perform well through a 4-6 hour "brutal" belt testing for Krav Maga every 6 - 12 months; which lines up nicely with BB to fill the tank prior to.
Here is the question, when running OMS and during the Operator phase, would you recommend for me to use Conditioning sessions in TB2 or MP?

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

mattd1981 wrote:KB,

First off, my compliments on the new book, Mass Protocol is exactly what I have been looking for. I've been running Operator I/A for nearly a year now to build my strength before reintroducing hypertrophy into my training. Now i don't need to create my own program or find one somewhere else that may or may not produce results, because I have full faith that yours will. Running OMS perpetually is a no brainer for me, so thank you for making it easy.
Im a long time follower and first time questioner on the forum, so I'm going to ask a few regarding OMS.

1. On Mass Template Week 3, Day 5 it is blank. Is it intended that you should still perform BP, SQ, WPU for 4 x 3 @ 80%?

2a. You mention that it's best to use Operator instead of Zulu or I/A since its the flagship. Are you referring to Operator I/A when you say that?

2b. I use Operator I/A now due to the heavier weights I lift, although I have no qualms about going back to OP if it's preferable. So, to my question, when running OMS is it better to use OP or OP I/A when lifting more advanced weights?

3. A bit of background on me before the question. I am roughly 20 lbs under my target weight. I do Krav Maga 2-3 times per week, which more often than not doesn't amount to much conditioning unless we are sparring or rolling. The only conditioning requirements I have are being able to perform well through a 4-6 hour "brutal" belt testing for Krav Maga every 6 - 12 months; which lines up nicely with BB to fill the tank prior to.
Here is the question, when running OMS and during the Operator phase, would you recommend for me to use Conditioning sessions in TB2 or MP?
1. No, there is no training on Day 5. Week 3 is for peaking.
2. It's not best - it's our standard approach. Any MS template can be used.
2b. See above.
3. Either. If hypertrophy is currently higher priority than performance - use MP conditioning. Vice-versa, use Black/Black Pro.

mattd1981

Post by mattd1981 »

In Mass Template Deadlift Programming allows for all deadlift sets to be performed on Day 6. Would there be any drawbacks to scheduling the deadlift the same way in Operator?