Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Walker377

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Walker377 »

I saw you were considering using weighted ring dips in your next cluster as your main pressing movement. Is this something you have done before?

I’ve got 8 weeks left of my Op / Black plan but when I move to a 9 week block of Fighter Green afterwards I was considering including them as a main lift alongside Squats and WCU. I’ve done parallel bar dips and straight bar dips before with weight added, but just once a week so interested to know how doing it 2-3 times a week went and whether you felt you progressed as quickly as using Bench or OHP.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Yesterdays training

Bjj Midday Gi

Worked on omoplata variations from collar sleeve

2x5 mins rolling

I had to leave early to get to work.

Today' s training

TB Mass Fighter HT

30 min LSS walk warmup

Front Squat 5x8 55kg
Benchpress 5x8 50kg

I decided to use one of the new mass templates for my next cluster. I felt like a change up of my rep ranges for a bit.

I will still be continuing my BJJ practice 2x a week and running 2-3 x a week, at around 30-60 min mark.

I will try and get my calories in, but it has never been my strong point. I have been tracking my food intake for the last two months and have a rough idea of what i need to add to get close to the calorie goals. I have upped my protein levels via a protein shake or two daily.

I don't recommend this approach to anyone as it is definitely not optimal. I will run it for 3 weeks and assess from there. My goals are to add 2-3 kg of lean bodyweight without negatively impacting my conditioning.

I will definitely say I felt the higher rep ranges today even with very conservative lift numbers.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Walker377 wrote:I saw you were considering using weighted ring dips in your next cluster as your main pressing movement. Is this something you have done before?

I’ve got 8 weeks left of my Op / Black plan but when I move to a 9 week block of Fighter Green afterwards I was considering including them as a main lift alongside Squats and WCU. I’ve done parallel bar dips and straight bar dips before with weight added, but just once a week so interested to know how doing it 2-3 times a week went and whether you felt you progressed as quickly as using Bench or OHP.
It's one of my favourite exercises. I believe it was one of my main movements around November last year. I might have even done a 3 week fighter block pretty recently with only 9kg of weight(5.11 Vest). I haven't gone heavier than 20kg with them. If your shoulders can take it I put them up their with bench press. Treat them as a main lift for 3-6 weeks and you will get some good results, but listen to your shoulders. I do them very slow and controlled and don't go to deep. Think basic gymnastic technique.

My main reason for not doing them right now is the new TB mass book and moving from my old house. My old house had a huge garage and a back deck I could hang my rings off. The deck was high enough I could do inverted ring exercises. My new place involves me moving my rack for every set.

Edit:I had a quick look in my log and it was September. I did the following:
Week1 3x8 BW
Week2 4x5 12kg
Week3 3x3 20kg

I like to start them off with higher reps before adding weight. I had just finished 4 months of ring specific training.
I would use a little more volume than I normally would for benchpress, but that is me.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Maxrip13 wrote:Yesterdays training

Bjj Midday Gi

Worked on omoplata variations from collar sleeve

2x5 mins rolling

I had to leave early to get to work.

Today' s training

TB Mass Fighter HT

30 min LSS walk warmup

Front Squat 5x8 55kg
Benchpress 5x8 50kg

I decided to use one of the new mass templates for my next cluster. I felt like a change up of my rep ranges for a bit.

I will still be continuing my BJJ practice 2x a week and running 2-3 x a week, at around 30-60 min mark.

I will try and get my calories in, but it has never been my strong point. I have been tracking my food intake for the last two months and have a rough idea of what i need to add to get close to the calorie goals. I have upped my protein levels via a protein shake or two daily.

I don't recommend this approach to anyone as it is definitely not optimal. I will run it for 3 weeks and assess from there. My goals are to add 2-3 kg of lean bodyweight without negatively impacting my conditioning.

I will definitely say I felt the higher rep ranges today even with very conservative lift numbers.
That higher volume is killer. The DOMs are pretty bad today so no jitz due to sleeping in and barely being able to move.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Today's Training

30 Min LSS run
Pace:8:22/km
Avg HR:138 bpm

Followed by 30 min walk and ROMWOD

Sleep- 8+ Hours

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Today' s training

TB Mass Fighter HT
15 min walk warmup

Benchpress 5x8 50kg
Front Squat 5x8 55kg

15 Min Walk to cool down.

40 degrees here in Australia today. All I needed to warm up was a walk. I am still feeling pain through the quads from the other session, but I was able to get it done. The higher reps for the squats are the main issue but I seem to be coping with the upper body volume.

Sleep hasn't been the greatest post nightshift and I need to up my calories a bit with good quality food. I really love the Fighter HT template though. I am done in the gym in 30 mins.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:Today' s training

TB Mass Fighter HT
15 min walk warmup

Benchpress 5x8 50kg
Front Squat 5x8 55kg

15 Min Walk to cool down.

40 degrees here in Australia today. All I needed to warm up was a walk. I am still feeling pain through the quads from the other session, but I was able to get it done. The higher reps for the squats are the main issue but I seem to be coping with the upper body volume.

Sleep hasn't been the greatest post nightshift and I need to up my calories a bit with good quality food. I really love the Fighter HT template though. I am done in the gym in 30 mins.
Do you have any feelings that you are missing any sort of pulling movements with FHT?
Good luck with those doms..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Walker377

Post by Walker377 »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Walker377 wrote:I saw you were considering using weighted ring dips in your next cluster as your main pressing movement. Is this something you have done before?

It's one of my favourite exercises. I believe it was one of my main movements around November last year. I might have even done a 3 week fighter block pretty recently with only 9kg of weight(5.11 Vest). I haven't gone heavier than 20kg with them. If your shoulders can take it I put them up their with bench press. Treat them as a main lift for 3-6 weeks and you will get some good results, but listen to your shoulders. I do them very slow and controlled and don't go to deep. Think basic gymnastic technique.

My main reason for not doing them right now is the new TB mass book and moving from my old house. My old house had a huge garage and a back deck I could hang my rings off. The deck was high enough I could do inverted ring exercises. My new place involves me moving my rack for every set.

Week1 3x8 BW
Week2 4x5 12kg
Week3 3x3 20kg

I like to start them off with higher reps before adding weight. I had just finished 4 months of ring specific training.
I would use a little more volume than I normally would for benchpress, but that is me.
Thanks, I will drop some in as a finisher a couple of times before the end of my next block to get used to the movement again and judge at that point whether it’s something I’m going to do.

I remember reading somewhere in TB1 that the exercises were selected (B,S,DL,WPU) due to them being generally heavier than alternatives (thus potentially more benefit) and easier to manage incremental progression.

With dips theoretically based off past training my 95% week would be BW +33kg (straight bar though not rings) which at ~90kg BW would be 123kg, significantly heavier than the 97.5kg I’m benching next week. Given I have a dip belt there is no barrier to incremental progression, in fact I can go by 1.25kg increments which is smaller than barbell movements. Food for thought.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Walker377 wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

Week1 3x8 BW
Week2 4x5 12kg
Week3 3x3 20kg

Thanks, I will drop some in as a finisher a couple of times before the end of my next block to get used to the movement again and judge at that point whether it’s something I’m going to do.

I remember reading somewhere in TB1 that the exercises were selected (B,S,DL,WPU) due to them being generally heavier than alternatives (thus potentially more benefit) and easier to manage incremental progression.

With dips theoretically based off past training my 95% week would be BW +33kg (straight bar though not rings) which at ~90kg BW would be 123kg, significantly heavier than the 97.5kg I’m benching next week. Given I have a dip belt there is no barrier to incremental progression, in fact I can go by 1.25kg increments which is smaller than barbell movements. Food for thought.
Last time i screwed my shoulder up was with the dips for 90% week.. Dips require some concentration on the form.. Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Walker377 wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

Week1 3x8 BW
Week2 4x5 12kg
Week3 3x3 20kg

The exercise selection IMO is based off what you are saying. It's also the fact that most people already know how to do those movements in the past through powerlifting, bodybuilding or even crossfit. The big change for most is weighted pullups, which are one of the best exercises IMO.

The rings "should" drop that right down to similar to my numbers. I haven't done it in ages but my traditional dip weighted number is much higher than that. I don't know your ring training back ground, but I had just done 4 months of high volume bodyweight ring specific work.

As Barkadion said above, there is a decent chance of shoulder injury if you go to low with the added weight. Like with any exercise if you do something wrong there is a potential for injury, however adding extra weight and the instability of the rings can put you in compromised position. Iusually rotate them in for a cycle or two and then switch back to some sort of press.

I definitely think you have the right idea by testing and getting some practice in. I also like how you worked out that it would be higher total load. It is definitely worth rotating in for a cluster or two to switch things up.