Trap Bar DL (HH) vs Conventional Deadlift

MxS/SE/HIC/E
jzt

Trap Bar DL (HH) vs Conventional Deadlift

Post by jzt »

I've been running Trap Bar DL, Press and Chin Ups as my cluster for the past 3 months. So far everything is going great.

After reading countless articles over the years regarding Trap Bar DL vs Conv, the first one seemed like the only logical choice from an athletes perspective.

I would really like to known people's take on the matter. From what I've gathered:

Conv Deadlift
pros:
-Easy to compare to other lifters since it's much more popular
-More posterior chain dominant

Trap Bar DL
pros
-Form/mobility is a non-issue
-Higher loads
-Neutral grip allows disregarding straps (mixed grip can cause imbalances)
-Less shear force on the lower back
-More quand dominant

Am I crazy for wanting to stick with Trap Bar Deadlifts ''forever''?

Some options I've thought of, to ease into the Conv Deadlifts:

-Running a block where I pull from 6 inches blocs, then another block from 3 inches, and finally pull from the floor on the 3rd block and on.
-Slowly adding RDLs to my current routine with very light weights

Maxrip13

Re: Trap Bar DL (HH) vs Conventional Deadlift

Post by Maxrip13 »

If you own one or have one at your gym then it's a good option.

I work off the premise that I don't buy specific equipment for single exercises. I don't own a trap bar so I don't do them.
I have made the mistake in the past(Clubbells) and regret it every single time.

I like conventional dead lifts more, but I can see the appeal of the trap bar.
If you don't powerlift you can do whatever exercises you want to get stronger.

There is a push to use them due to most coaches agreeing they are easier to teach. A strength coaches goal is to get the athlete stronger without causing any injuries or taking a time from the sport.

TLDR: If you prefer trap bar deadlifts then go for it. Only negative I can see is if you want to compete in powerlifting one day.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

I reckon if you are not competing in powerlifting there is no need to do the conventional nor sumo DL from the floor, and stick with the trap bar "forever". Having said that, if you have a "monkey mind" like me, doing different movements from time to time is a good way to break out of the stalemate.

On a personal note I found the trap bar DL to be quite a different movement to the barbell versions, and my 5RM on the trap bar is >30kg over my 1RM on the Conventional DL, and >20kg over the Sumo DL 1RM. The carryover to Sumo DL seems quite negligible at the starting point, which is the hardest part of the Sumo DL. The lockout on the Trapbar also feels different to the lockout on Conv.

The reason I don't do the trap bar DL more often is that I don't have access to it so easily (it requires me to travel to a affiliate gym location that's quite out of the way).

On a final note, if you are lifting more weight over time, or more reps at the same weight over time... there is no doubt you are getting stronger!
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Adski

Post by Adski »

I have both, both are great value.

The trap bar is fun as you can move slightly heavier loads, the high bar setting (if it’s that type of bar with the two settings) can be good for working through sticking points (heavier weight through that particular range).

The setup is slightly different, for some more than others (more of a squat hybrid for some, everyone’s set up varying, different limb lengths etc).

Trap bar is fun to use and generally won’t fatigue the lower back as much as conventional, which can be handy, particularly if you’re using a bit of KB swing work etc in other areas of your program.

CleveSmith

Post by CleveSmith »

Not crazy at all.

I prefer trap bar over conventional. I'm 40 years old and have no intention to compete in a powerlifting meet so I really don't have a need or want to do regular deadlifts.

Heck I haven't done front squat in over a year and back squat since God knows when.

I might do rdl here or there but I mostly do trap bar and ghr and I feel fine.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Looks like Jim W will be using TB DL in his meet..

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/trap-bar
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Brillica

Post by Brillica »

I think this is a great article on it: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/ Some interesting info there, specifically since I think "(HH)" maybe means "high handle"(?) I'll highlight this part:
This may be the biggest benefit of the trap bar. “Normal” hip range of motion with the knees bent to 90 degrees (minimal tension on the hamstrings) is 100-120 degrees. Remember, a conventional deadlift requires ~100-110 degrees of hip flexion with the knee not bent all the way to 90 degrees, and with tension on the hamstrings. A barbell deadlift starts near end-ROM hip flexion for most people, and past end-ROM hip flexion for a non-negligible amount of people. A lot of people just simply can’t get enough hip flexion ROM to deadlift from the floor, no matter how much mobility work they do. These people have to compensate with spinal flexion, which increases their risk for spinal disc injuries.

Now, they’d probably be fine to deadlift with a barbell if they stuck to low rack pulls or low block pulls, but, in my experience, a lot of people are just stubborn and either don’t want to set up rack pulls/block pulls every time they deadlift, or they refuse to stop pulling weights off the floor.

The high handles on the trap bar deadlift decrease the range of motion just enough that almost everyone can pull from the floor while maintaining good spinal position. Additionally, it doesn’t require any equipment setup, and people just tend to be a little less stubborn about using the high handles since the weight still starts on the floor. The range of motion is still easily long enough to elicit a large, positive training effect, and it’s more tolerable for a lot of people.
Personally I'm on team trap bar, it's the only way I deadlift now. I'm also using the high handles more and more - at 6'4" do I really need to start my pull from the same height off the floor as someone that's 5'4"? I'm not competing, so no I don't - I'll do what keeps my back safe while effectively growing in strength.

Liftrunwrite

Post by Liftrunwrite »

I think the biggest issue I have with the TBDL is the fact that the load is not in front of your body. It's perfectly in line with your center of gravity, which really doesn't simulate the way you pick up and carry objects. That being said, the deadlift can cause some awful injuries if not trained properly. I've never suffered an injury from deadlifting, due--I think--to a few principles.

1-- No belt. If my core can't handle the load, then I have no business lifting it.
2-- No straps. If my grip can't handle the load, see above. I also have girl wrists so you have no excuse.
3-- Never do less than a 3RM on the deadlift. I'm not a powerlifter, and 90% of my 1RM is still heavy enough to elicit an adaptation without compromising my form.

I think the biggest issue people have with deadlifts is they try and treat it like some special exercise. It's not. Just like any other exercise, don't compromise form, don't handle more than you know you can, and you'll be fine. Team Conventional all the way.
"The woods are lovely dark and deep
But I have promises I must keep
And many miles to go before I sleep
And many miles to go before I sleep."

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Liftrunwrite wrote:I think the biggest issue I have with the TBDL is the fact that the load is not in front of your body. It's perfectly in line with your center of gravity, which really doesn't simulate the way you pick up and carry objects. That being said, the deadlift can cause some awful injuries if not trained properly. I've never suffered an injury from deadlifting, due--I think--to a few principles.

1-- No belt. If my core can't handle the load, then I have no business lifting it.
2-- No straps. If my grip can't handle the load, see above. I also have girl wrists so you have no excuse.
3-- Never do less than a 3RM on the deadlift. I'm not a powerlifter, and 90% of my 1RM is still heavy enough to elicit an adaptation without compromising my form.

I think the biggest issue people have with deadlifts is they try and treat it like some special exercise. It's not. Just like any other exercise, don't compromise form, don't handle more than you know you can, and you'll be fine. Team Conventional all the way.
Well there are few more things to consider. Personal anthropometry, age, history of injuries, lifestyle, training goals.. it all depends.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Liftrunwrite

Post by Liftrunwrite »

Barkadion wrote:
Well there are few more things to consider. Personal anthropometry, age, history of injuries, lifestyle, training goals.. it all depends.
Definitely agree. Don't want to come off as saying there's only one way-- not my intention at all.
"The woods are lovely dark and deep
But I have promises I must keep
And many miles to go before I sleep
And many miles to go before I sleep."