How bad is a 80% Operator I/A week with 4 reps sets?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Stefano

Re: How bad is a 80% Operator I/A week with 4 reps sets?

Post by Stefano »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Stefano wrote:Hi guys, sorry if I resume this thread, I don’t want to start a new one.

So, as I supposed, my barbell lifts are progressing well but I can’t progress in the same way with the Weighted Chin Ups I have in my Cluster...I need your advice: what about treating them as an assistance movement, choosing a right weight and going for a total reps goal (30 a workout, for example, with triples or doubles etc. between the barbell lifts sets), instead of strict reps/sets?

I’m thinking about this because my weight is changing day to day (i’m in a caloric surplus) and I’m not able to progress with this Bodyweight movement as with the Barbell...thanks again for your help!
What issues are you having mate? Be a bit more specific.

I wouldn’t recommend doing them between sets unless you are sticking to the minimum rest periods.
Hi Maxrip, thanks a lot for your reply:

My Bodyweight is increasing day to day due to the caloric surplus i’m following...so my body is always heavier and I can’t establish a good progression for the Weighted Chin Ups considering the Bodyweight fluctuations i’m experiencing

So my idea was to treat them not as a barbell lifts (with a percentage i can’t program exactly) but as an assistance movement, choosing a weight I can increase when I own it

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Stefano wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Stefano wrote:Hi guys, sorry if I resume this thread, I don’t want to start a new one.

So, as I supposed, my barbell lifts are progressing well but I can’t progress in the same way with the Weighted Chin Ups I have in my Cluster...I need your advice: what about treating them as an assistance movement, choosing a right weight and going for a total reps goal (30 a workout, for example, with triples or doubles etc. between the barbell lifts sets), instead of strict reps/sets?

I’m thinking about this because my weight is changing day to day (i’m in a caloric surplus) and I’m not able to progress with this Bodyweight movement as with the Barbell...thanks again for your help!
What issues are you having mate? Be a bit more specific.

I wouldn’t recommend doing them between sets unless you are sticking to the minimum rest periods.
Hi Maxrip, thanks a lot for your reply:

My Bodyweight is increasing day to day due to the caloric surplus i’m following...so my body is always heavier and I can’t establish a good progression for the Weighted Chin Ups considering the Bodyweight fluctuations i’m experiencing

So my idea was to treat them not as a barbell lifts (with a percentage i can’t program exactly) but as an assistance movement, choosing a weight I can increase when I own it
You could do that.

I would just base it off my weight on testing day and not adjust until I finished a cycle. I might be misunderstanding but you don’t need to adjust weight each session. You want to plan your weights and progressions off your test day and either force progress or retest once you finish the cycle.

This changes if you have to hit specific reps for an upcoming fitness test. Then you do whatever you need to hit those reps in time.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Stefano I wasn't suggesting a deload, just that you aren't working at 80% but something harder. If you are gaining weight that fast, maybe estimate how heavy you will be at the end of the cycle and assume your strength will be unchanged from the last time you tested. You can calculate new weights to add. Considering how many of us use a training max with good results, this should be fine.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Stefano I wasn't suggesting a deload, just that you aren't working at 80% but something harder. If you are gaining weight that fast, maybe estimate how heavy you will be at the end of the cycle and assume your strength will be unchanged from the last time you tested. You can calculate new weights to add. Considering how many of us use a training max with good results, this should be fine.
X2. I always recalculate my WPU TM based on current body weight. And lemme tell you - I do like to eat, so you know..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Thanks a lot for your help mates! Today WCU went better, I came back to the previous block weight (1kg less) and I closed a 5x5....the 25th rep was still a grind

I discovered my grip is a weak point in my Chin Ups, and with the DL in my block grip is always after it...next workout i’ll probably start with upper body lifts and keep DL at the end of the workout

jzt

Post by jzt »

The most weight i gained in a six week block was going from 207lbs to 212lbs. It did not affect my chin ups, despite it being my strongest lift (hardest to improve) at a 1RM of BW+135lbs (with full ROM, bar to chest etc.). If you gain more than 5lbs in 6 weeks you need to up the cardio or drop the calories because that likely means youre overeating.

Redo your chin up test with full reps, pausing at the top etc and make sure you dont grind the last rep. Stop before form deteriorates. This will give you a more accurate max.