Grouchyjarhead Training

Barkadion

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Spent last week tapering and then Saturday night into Sunday morning I completed the GORUCK Tun Tavern Tough in Philadelphia. 13 hours, maybe 15 miles or so (not sure), lots of PT (a few dozen times up and down the Rocky steps included with the same), and carrying a ton of stuff (lots of sandbags and logs).

Physically I did great for a while until I ran out of water. Hard PT plus lots of running up and down the stairs, I hung in there as best as I could (everyone gets wrecked after a while, nature of the beast). Kept jumping in on everything I could carry, then I was out on water and didn't have any electrolyte chews or anything like that so I began to get dizzy. Fortunately we got water at about 5am and I used my electrolyte mix to get back with it. Back to business for a while, then my left shoulder popped and for a while I was one armed and not having a great time. So many hard chargers though I couldn't justify trying to coast through the rest of the event, and once I got back into rotating on some of the logs my shoulder ended up getting knocked back into place and getting functional again (definitely does not feel awesome today though). Finished up with some more PT and celebrating at the best estimate for the sight of Tun Tavern with Jarheads everywhere, hell of a weekend to be sure.
Sounds great! Cheers!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Sounds intense, man.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

One of my favorite events thus far. It was a grinder but it was so awesome at the same time.

Admittedly I've been taking it easy this week. I was pretty sore and beat up from the Tough, so Wednesday and Thursday I just did some long mobility workouts to loosen up.

Tonight I led a group PT workout for our club at a local high school football field. Before every exercise we hustled up a set of stadium stairs and then circled around the box seats and then back down to the field (55 steps up). We also finished with a set of stairs. We did the following exercises as a group total: 300 jumping jacks (ruck on back), 50 push ups (ruck on back), 100 ruck swings, 100 mountain climbers (ruck on back), 50 overhead presses with ruck, 50 squats (ruck on back), 60 step-ups onto bench (ruck on back), 60 elevated push-ups (bodyweight), and 25 man makers (burpee + squat thrust with ruck). Even squeezed in a bit of extra ab work and mobility/stretching near the end as the rest of the group was going for a 5 mile ruck march led by my wife (we switched out to watch the kiddos) so we were waiting on her. Great night, just under 2 hours of work. Did about 1.5 miles of stairs.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

Sounds intense...but awesome at the same time.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

It was awesome godjira1.

Started my new block of training this week.

Tested my maxes Tuesday and today (Thursday). Press went up just a few pounds, but squat bumped up by 13 pounds, sumo deadlift by 10 pounds, and weighted pull-ups by 16 pounds so I'll take it. Run times also improved well throughout.

Wednesday I did a 5K row for time, wow was that hard. 29:41, which is pathetic. According to Marine Corps scoring standards (a 5K row is an alternate event for the PFT for those who can't run due to injury), I didn't even get the minimum score for my age group to pass. Got some work to do.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

Based on your other stats, your rowing time is probably due to non optimal technique.

To illustrate the point - I am not a great rower by any means but I checked my logs and an easy 5k row for me was done in 24+min. And the ruck PT session + ruck session you did would have probably killed me.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

godjira1 wrote:Based on your other stats, your rowing time is probably due to non optimal technique.

To illustrate the point - I am not a great rower by any means but I checked my logs and an easy 5k row for me was done in 24+min. And the ruck PT session + ruck session you did would have probably killed me.
I had only rowed maybe 1/10th of that before, so that could be a big part of it. A friend of mine saw my stroke rate and said it was way too high. I've been watching some videos so I hope to iron out some issues.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20191023:
Comfortable 45 minute run, sprinted it out near the end for 4 miles. Taking the Cub Scouts on a three mile hike here shortly, going to wear my rucksack for it.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20191025:
Operator, Week 1 Day 1. Press, squat, weighted pull-ups. Finisher: push-up/20kg swing pyramid (50 and 90). Math was hard this morning - did my squats with 20# more than I should have. Oh well.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20191026:
Assault bike, max distance in 30 minutes. 9.1 miles. The downside of having a backside good for squatting is that it's not good for those seats.