VenomousCoffee

Re: VenomousCoffee's Training Log

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Wednesday 12/18
60 minute jog

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

On my break until New Year's. See you on the other side.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

VenomousCoffee wrote:On my break until New Year's. See you on the other side.
Happy Holidays!! Cheers, mate.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Barkadion wrote:
VenomousCoffee wrote:On my break until New Year's. See you on the other side.
Happy Holidays!! Cheers, mate.
You too!

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Sunday 12/29
60 minute jog

Going to run Fighter Bangkok for my BB this time (3 Es a week obviously, runs and rucks). I'm seriously thinking about flipping between Green and Black in 6 week blocks (with Fighter for MS) for the first half of the year. But we will see. Feels good to be back after a week-plus of Netflix and holiday food.

jzt

Post by jzt »

Ive been following your log for a while. The cookie cutter split is squat/bench/wpus. You are running squat/press/wpus.

Whats your take on the ohp vs bench? I personally prefer the ohp, but always feel like i might be missing iut in strength due to using less weight. As for the chest, i guess you can add dips and push ups in cond sessions?

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

jzt wrote:Ive been following your log for a while. The cookie cutter split is squat/bench/wpus. You are running squat/press/wpus.

Whats your take on the ohp vs bench? I personally prefer the ohp, but always feel like i might be missing iut in strength due to using less weight. As for the chest, i guess you can add dips and push ups in cond sessions?
Interested to see this answer as well. I've always thought that I had to have BP in my cluster. I swapped out BP for OHP 2 months ago because BP was causing me some shoulder issues. My shoulder feels much better, but unfortunately having neglected OHP for a bit, it's a little low. I'm looking to push it back up. Interested to hear VC's take on it.

jzt

Post by jzt »

mikhou wrote:
jzt wrote:Ive been following your log for a while. The cookie cutter split is squat/bench/wpus. You are running squat/press/wpus.

Interested to see this answer as well. I've always thought that I had to have BP in my cluster. I swapped out BP for OHP 2 months ago because BP was causing me some shoulder issues. My shoulder feels much better, but unfortunately having neglected OHP for a bit, it's a little low. I'm looking to push it back up. Interested to hear VC's take on it.
I've experimented with OHP and BP. At 3x per week my OHP went up. At 1x OHP + 2x Bench my ohp didnt move, and my bench went up a lot. Despite them being similar muscles, they seem to have zero correlation in my case. So when people say ''just pick one, it'll feed the other'' that doesn't apply. Hence my question and trying to figure out what would be most optimal.

I think from an athletic and health standpoint, the OHP wins by a landslide, but curious to hear VC's vision on it.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Hey guys!

Reasons I use OHP and not BP. YMMV, IMO, etc.

1) My shoulders feel so much better. I flat benched for a long time and I was constantly fighting problems with impingement and just chronic pain. That's basically gone. This is probably the top reason.

2) If you look back several decades, OHP was the measuring stick for upper body strength, not BP. Rippetoe talks about this (and others too of course). BP has taken over powerlifting of course, but I personally feel like OHP is a more 'natural' (for lack of a better word) lift for pressing strength than BP. I use strict form too (knees straight, bar from under the chin to locked out), and I think there's less bs with form than you have with BP.

3) I put on muscle very easily, especially upper torso, so I don't feel like I need the bulk you might gain from the additional weight you can handle with BP. And honestly I'm not trying to gain mass at all, so if I can increase my strength with less overall weight, all the better. (When I flew home for Xmas last week, the airport scanner wouldn't read my arms correctly and I got patted down! haha)

Edit: If you do want to build up aesthetically, OHP will build your yoke a lot faster than BP, which is key to a powerful-looking torso.

4) I haven't done any heavy BP at all this year, but this has gotten me curious about where my strength level is. If I think about it I might try a few sets before I run sometime.

5) I press in the squat rack, so it's very convenient. I can do my whole workout in about a 20 foot radius.

6) It looks cooler.

Hope this helps

Monday 12/30
Squat 315 5x5
OHP 155 5x5
PU 5x5
Grip finisher