How often do you switch cluster?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
xfitxm

How often do you switch cluster?

Post by xfitxm »

How often do you switch between exercises?

I switched from bench press to OHP for one block and when I retested my BP I lost 10 lb on my 1RM.

So I assume I can't switch every block otherwise I won't progress in any of these lifts. And if I had done a longer block maybe Id have lost more strength.

For a balance reason I think it's good to switch from time to time.

How do you do it?

RugbyGuy

Re: How often do you switch cluster?

Post by RugbyGuy »

I personally switch when I feel that I need to incorporate an "assistance lift" to help out. So, maybe 3 blocks of operator normal, then switch bench for OHP, front squat for back squat, bent over row for PU and snatch grip DL for conventional DL. I do one block like this and then go back.

That's how I run it personally, but you'll get as many different answers as people on this forum.
"If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you." - Muhammad Ali

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

RugbyGuy wrote:I personally switch when I feel that I need to incorporate an "assistance lift" to help out. So, maybe 3 blocks of operator normal, then switch bench for OHP, front squat for back squat, bent over row for PU and snatch grip DL for conventional DL. I do one block like this and then go back.

That's how I run it personally, but you'll get as many different answers as people on this forum.
How long is your block? 6weeks or 12weeks?

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

I take a page from Louie Simmons and the boys at Westside for this. Change it up every once in a while, hit it from different angles. It's even better for us as TB'ers because most of us don't need to peak in certain lifts for competition.

My rule of thumb is I spend roughly 75% of my time with my main cluster and the remaining 25% with variations. I feel that's a good ratio to build a solid foundation in my main lifts while throwing in some variety and backing off.

So it usually looks like 9-12 weeks of SQ/BP/WPU followed by 3-6 weeks of FSQ/OHP/RDL or something similar. Just a rough outline, depends on where I'm at with conditioning too.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Saracen wrote:I take a page from Louie Simmons and the boys at Westside for this. Change it up every once in a while, hit it from different angles. It's even better for us as TB'ers because most of us don't need to peak in certain lifts for competition.

My rule of thumb is I spend roughly 75% of my time with my main cluster and the remaining 25% with variations. I feel that's a good ratio to build a solid foundation in my main lifts while throwing in some variety and backing off.

So it usually looks like 9-12 weeks of SQ/BP/WPU followed by 3-6 weeks of FSQ/OHP/RDL or something similar. Just a rough outline, depends on where I'm at with conditioning too.
This is a great point! I like the ratio of 12weeks of main cluster to 6 weeks of sub-cluster. Thanks!

RugbyGuy

Post by RugbyGuy »

I do my blocks as 6 weeks always. So I can push the forced progression if I want, depending on how my 95% week went.
"If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you." - Muhammad Ali

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

RugbyGuy wrote:I do my blocks as 6 weeks always. So I can push the forced progression if I want, depending on how my 95% week went.
Thank you! Makes sense.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

And do you lose strength when you switch?

That's what I did 2 x 6 weeks block than switch for 6 week, and went back with some less strength.

RugbyGuy

Post by RugbyGuy »

xfitxm wrote:And do you lose strength when you switch?

That's what I did 2 x 6 weeks block than switch for 6 week, and went back with some less strength.
Not when I pick an alternate lift that fits. For example, deadlift, I am chronically weak off the floor. So, I could do deficit deadlifts, but I don't have a platform at the base gym and stammering in bumper plates feels odd, so I do snatch grip deadlifts to force me lower. After 6 weeks of that, I am almost always better at conventional the next block because I fixed my weak point. If I was having a hard time locking out, then snatch grip DL would be a poor choice and I would still be weak at the top when I finished.

Also, on the 70-75% weeks, don't be afraid to throw some pauses in there. Paused bench/spoto press and pause squats/breathing squats can be a great way to work on minor tweaks when you
aren't too worried about getting stuck under the weight.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

RugbyGuy wrote:I personally switch when I feel that I need to incorporate an "assistance lift" to help out. So, maybe 3 blocks of operator normal, then switch bench for OHP, front squat for back squat, bent over row for PU and snatch grip DL for conventional DL. I do one block like this and then go back.

Awesome!! Nice thinking there, buddy! 8-)
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.