mikhou's training log

mikhou

Re: mikhou's training log

Post by mikhou »

Yesterday
KB swings (80, 20)
60 minute E run

I'm taking a few days off and then I'll do some testing and am planning to run a Grey Man-ish template for awhile.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I took a few days off and then did some testing. I'm satisfied with the results, but I've lost some strength along with some bodyweight. I'm going to give Grey Man a run - not because I'm looking to gain a lot of mass but just because I want to play in some higher rep ranges. I'm going to do a couple of different things:
1. I'm going to use a training max with Grey Man which wasn't necessarily recommended in the TB Mass book.
2. I'm going to use push-ups in place of BP using percentage of max reps ala TB1. I know that Grey Man as written uses BP but it's just been killing my shoulder. So I'm going to pair OHP/SQ and Push-up/DL. My accessories will be minimal: weighted pull-ups, ab rollers, DB rows, and weighted carries. I'll also get in 100 kb swings each day.

Today
OHP - 4x8 @ 35kg (pitifully low, but you've got to start somewhere)
SQ - 4x8 @ 76kg
WPU - 4x8 @ bodyweight. (55% of 1RM would be less than bodyweight so I took the calculated amount / bodyweight x the required 12 reps and came up with 8 reps)
Ab roller - 2x5
KB swings - 5 x 20

Side note: 4x8 even with super light weight feels like cardio up against 3x5. I was sucking air at the end of the sets.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Good luck with GM! Will be watching your log for sure. Any reason for not doing weighted push-ups?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Barkadion wrote:Good luck with GM! Will be watching your log for sure. Any reason for not doing weighted push-ups?
I hadn't considered it. I supposed I could weight them with a backpack. Hmmm......

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

mikhou wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Good luck with GM! Will be watching your log for sure. Any reason for not doing weighted push-ups?
I hadn't considered it. I supposed I could weight them with a backpack. Hmmm......
;)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

HIC #14. Meat Eater II

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Push-up - 5 x 42 (The first 2 sets were unbroken. The third got to 37 before having to take the break. The last two were done with 30 second rest breaks as needed.)
DB row - 4 x 16.5kg
DL - 2 x 105 kg
Loaded carries - 3 rounds with 22.5 kg (right-hand suitcase carry, left-hand suitcase carry, farmer's walk)
KB swing - 4 x 25

I should clarify what I posted earlier. I'm not running strict Grey Man. I'm using a schedule that has worked for me very well in the past and am incorporating Grey Man sets, reps, and percentages everywhere that I can. So it's an 8-day week that is Strength, Conditioning, Strength, Rest, Strength, Conditioning, Fun Run conditioning w/ strength, Rest. It looks like this:

Day 1 - OHP/SQ/WPU - GM sets, reps, and percentages
Day 2 - Conditioning - I rotate between HIC and E work evenly.
Day 3 - Push-ups/DB rows/DL - This is the odd day. I am using bodyweight push-ups and TB1's sets, reps, and percentages for bodyweight exercises and am doing 5 sets in week 1, 4 sets in week 2, and 3 sets in week 3. DB rows are using GM. DLs are using the Dan John rule of 10 (2x5, 3x3, 5x2, whatever). I don't do well with high-rep DLs.
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - OHP/SQ/WPU - GM sets, reps, and percentages
Day 6 - Conditioning
Day 7 - Fun Run - incorporating push-ups and DB rows.

On days 1, 3, and 5, I alternate between adding on ab wheels and loaded carries. I also do 100 KB swings everyday. That gets me enough hinge work that I don't feel the need to DL 2x/week.

It sounds a LOT more complicated than it is. The bottom line is that I wanted to run GM, but I know my limitations with BP and with DL. So I adjusted accordingly.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Yesterday - Rest day

Today
OHP - 4x8 @ 35kg (pitifully low, but you've got to start somewhere)
SQ - 4x8 @ 76kg
WPU - 4x8 @ bodyweight. (55% of 1RM would be less than bodyweight so I took the calculated amount / bodyweight x the required 12 reps and came up with 8 reps)
Ab roller - 2x5
KB swings - 1-10-1 breathing ladder

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

HIC #17. Apex Hills

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

KB swings (85, 15)
60 minute Fun Run incorporating:
-push-ups - 5 x 42