11/09/20

Family walk 1km approx

Maxrip13

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Maxrip13 »

13/08/20

TB Op I/A Session 2

BW Pullups 3x6
Back squat 75kg 1x7(back went out during 7/8 reps)
Switched:
Weighted lunges, 10 kg vest 4x8 ea side
Benchpress 60kg 4x8
BW Pullups 2x6

I felt my back go on the 7th rep of my first working set of back squats. Overall it wasn't too bad but I made the decision to switch to weighted lunges. I think it was mostly some poor sleep and recovery recently and a lack of stretching. I will see how things feel but might just sub lunges and do a 3 week run with my bench press and pullups progressions as planned.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

14/08/20

10 Min warmup walk
LSS Trail Run 30 min
Distance:3.34km
AvG pace:
AVG HR:150bpm
20 min cooldown walk

I have still have some back pain, but overall it was pretty good during my run today. I regret pushing to 8 rep sets when I did, but that's life.
I will give my back a couple days, but I think I will be sticking with lunges for the rest of this cycle.

I will continue as planned, testing my bench press and pullups at the end of the OP I/A cycle.
I will then change my training up until the end of the year, just to get some more varied movements and balance out a period of minimalist programming.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

15/08/20

TB Op I/A

Pullup BW 5x6
Weighted lunge 10kg vest 5x8 each side
Benchpress 60kg 3x10

Plank 1 min x 3 rounds

The lower back is still a bit rough so no back squats for the foreseeable future. I was planning on swapping them out after this cycle, but I did want to test my rep max with 100kg so I tried to push for 1 more run through. You live and learn.

I think I will be using more varied programming in the future. I have been using the standard operator cluster for a very long time now.The plan will be a more varied approach to my squat options with more 1 legged varieties and less overall weight.

My next cluster will probably involve Bulgarian squats/lunges/step ups.I will use kettle bells or ring dips in place of bench press following my testing. I might switch to Fighter Bangkok for a while and add a lot of core work. Alternatively I might run an A-B-A schedule to get in more variety.

I have been running Op I/A with the Op cluster mostly for a long time. I generally do a lot of LSS and not much HIC so don't get much variety. I used to get my HIC/variety through BJJ, but not anymore. I think my body is telling me to mix things up for a while.

The goal of this OP I/A is still to Bench press 80kg for 10 reps and do 15 BW pull ups. I will just use weighted lunges to maintain some leg strength before reassessing post testing.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Maxrip13 wrote:15/08/20

TB Op I/A

Pullup BW 5x6
Benchpress 60kg 3x10

Plank 1 min x 3 rounds

The lower back is still a bit rough so no back squats for the foreseeable future. I was planning on swapping them out after this cycle, but I did want to test my rep max with 100kg so I tried to push for 1 more run through. You live and learn.

I think I will be using more varied programming in the future. I have been using the standard operator cluster for a very long time now.The plan will be a more varied approach to my squat options with more 1 legged varieties and less overall weight.

My next cluster will probably involve Bulgarian squats/lunges/step ups.I will use kettle bells or ring dips in place of bench press following my testing. I might switch to Fighter Bangkok for a while and add a lot of core work. Alternatively I might run an A-B-A schedule to get in more variety.

I have been running Op I/A with the Op cluster mostly for a long time. I generally do a lot of LSS and not much HIC so don't get much variety. I used to get my HIC/variety through BJJ, but not anymore. I think my body is telling me to mix things up for a while.

The goal of this OP I/A is still to Bench press 80kg for 10 reps and do 15 BW pull ups. I will just use weighted lunges to maintain some leg strength before reassessing post testing.
Max, I'm all for mixing things up. My preferred templates revolve around an A/B/A format. I really like Zulu and Grey Man. Granted, I tweak them a bit to fit my schedule and my preferences so I'm not running either template straight up. I'm finishing my second cycle of a Grey Man-ish template this week and then I'll take an easy week. After that I'll move into a Zulu-ish template with the same exercises for a couple of cycles. Running an A/B/A setup, I pretty much stick to an A cluster of OHP/SQ/WPU and a B cluster of Push-ups for reps/DB rows/DL. (My shoulders don't like to BP anymore.) I also rotate through either KB swings, ab wheels, or loaded carries after every strength day. So I get some variety in my clusters by not sticking to a super minimalist cluster like Op would require, and I get some variety in my set/rep schemes by switching between GM and Zulu every couple of cycles. So far it's working well for me.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

mikhou wrote:

TB Op I/A

Pullup BW 5x6
Benchpress 60kg 3x10

Plank 1 min x 3 rounds

Max, I'm all for mixing things up. My preferred templates revolve around an A/B/A format. I really like Zulu and Grey Man. Granted, I tweak them a bit to fit my schedule and my preferences so I'm not running either template straight up. I'm finishing my second cycle of a Grey Man-ish template this week and then I'll take an easy week. After that I'll move into a Zulu-ish template with the same exercises for a couple of cycles. Running an A/B/A setup, I pretty much stick to an A cluster of OHP/SQ/WPU and a B cluster of Push-ups for reps/DB rows/DL. (My shoulders don't like to BP anymore.) I also rotate through either KB swings, ab wheels, or loaded carries after every strength day. So I get some variety in my clusters by not sticking to a super minimalist cluster like Op would require, and I get some variety in my set/rep schemes by switching between GM and Zulu every couple of cycles. So far it's working well for me.
I’ve been doing ABA lately and really enjoying it. Also, switched to unilateral movements mostly for the sake of recovery and risk of injury.. It works well for me. Good luck!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

mikhou wrote:

TB Op I/A

Pullup BW 5x6
Benchpress 60kg 3x10

Plank 1 min x 3 rounds

I am glad to hear it's working mate.I remember when you were planning it out. I definitely think A-B-A will be the way I go for my next run through. I think my days of minimalist templates are done.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

mikhou wrote:

TB Op I/A

Pullup BW 5x6
Benchpress 60kg 3x10

Plank 1 min x 3 rounds

I am glad to hear it's working mate.I remember when you were planning it out. I definitely think A-B-A will be the way I go for my next run through. I think my days of minimalist templates are done.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
mikhou wrote:

TB Op I/A

Pullup BW 5x6
Benchpress 60kg 3x10

Plank 1 min x 3 rounds

I’ve been doing ABA lately and really enjoying it. Also, switched to unilateral movements mostly for the sake of recovery and risk of injury.. It works well for me. Good luck!
Yeah I definitely think A-B-A is the way to go. I definitely think I am overdue some unilateral stuff. I was using it to warm up, but I think it's time to move away from heavy barbell work and change things up for a while. I will miss my back squats but I think less frequent squatting will be the way to go.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

16/08/20
10 min warmup walk

Trail Run 30 min
Distance: 4.11 km
Avg HR:153bpm
Avg Pace: 7:18 per km

Well my legs definitely felt good with no back squats from the day before. My trail run has some decent hill climbs and it had rained earlier and started to rain at the 17 min mark. Overall pretty happy with the pace. I might have to test my run pace on a flat surface soon to see where I am. it would be great to be back to 5 min easy kms on the flat. I usually finish with a long walk to cool down and get some easy kms in but I got rained out unfortunately.