nickgoldma

Re: Barkadion TB Logs

Post by nickgoldma »

Barkadion wrote:10/10/16
Black OP 1b block
Week#11, Monday

Lifts
SSB Squat - 4x3, 175
Chin-ups - 4x3, BW + 5 (Super-set with SQ)
BP - 5x3, 165
RI - 2-2.5min

Finisher
KB Swings 4x20, 32kg
RI: 75-90sec

Looking forward to using this as my cluster in Fighter toward the end of Base Building and then with Operator after BB. Though I can't do actual bodyweight pull ups (yet), I am lucky to have access to an assistance machine. I do want to pick up some bands though and do it that way.
Get after it!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

nickgoldma wrote:
Barkadion wrote:10/10/16
Black OP 1b block
Week#11, Monday

Lifts
SSB Squat - 4x3, 175
Chin-ups - 4x3, BW + 5 (Super-set with SQ)
BP - 5x3, 165
RI - 2-2.5min

Finisher
KB Swings 4x20, 32kg
RI: 75-90sec

Looking forward to using this as my cluster in Fighter toward the end of Base Building and then with Operator after BB. Though I can't do actual bodyweight pull ups (yet), I am lucky to have access to an assistance machine. I do want to pick up some bands though and do it that way.
I'd suggest bands over assistance machine. It's not too expensive and can give you feel of real pull-ups.

Good luck with Fighter!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

10/13/2016
TB OP 1b Block
Week#11, Thursday

MEII, 10 rounds

A: KB Swings, 28kgx10
B: Burpees, BWx10
RI - 1min

ouch :twisted:

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

nickgoldma wrote:Looking forward to using this as my cluster in Fighter toward the end of Base Building and then with Operator after BB. Though I can't do actual bodyweight pull ups (yet), I am lucky to have access to an assistance machine. I do want to pick up some bands though and do it that way.
Try BW rows from a smith machine, or from an empty bar on the squat racks. Alternative, ring rows and TRX rows work swell too. I built up to my pull-ups just using rows. Didn't use any bands or pull-ups machines.

In fact, on a pull-up machine you're actually taking your core out of the equation when you do a pull-up.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:Looking forward to using this as my cluster in Fighter toward the end of Base Building and then with Operator after BB. Though I can't do actual bodyweight pull ups (yet), I am lucky to have access to an assistance machine. I do want to pick up some bands though and do it that way.
Try BW rows from a smith machine, or from an empty bar on the squat racks. Alternative, ring rows and TRX rows work swell too. I built up to my pull-ups just using rows. Didn't use any bands or pull-ups machines.

In fact, on a pull-up machine you're actually taking your core out of the equation when you do a pull-up.
Good idea. What about an actual horizontal row machine where you sit and pull the weight? (Not to be confused with a rower).
Get after it!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

10/14/16
Black OP 1b block
Week#11, Friday

Lifts
SSB Squat - 4x5, 175
Chin-ups - 4x5, BW + 5 (Super-set with SQ)
BP - 5x5, 165
RI - 2-2.5min

Finisher
Body Saw with sliders - 1x14, Vestx15
Ab Wheel Roll-outs - 1x14, Vestx15
KB Suitcase Carry - 1x40yd/side, 75lb
RI - 75sec

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

nickgoldma wrote:
Blackmetalbunny wrote:

Good idea. What about an actual horizontal row machine where you sit and pull the weight? (Not to be confused with a rower).
TRX or Rings inverted rows are better, IMHO. It will prehab your upper back as well as make you stronger. You can even do inverted rows and face pulls at the same time.

Like:

First rep - TRX/Rings inverted row
Second rep - TRX/Rings face pull.
Repeat

All you need is to fine proper body angle that allows you to do both. It works magic for your upper back.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

nickgoldma wrote:Good idea. What about an actual horizontal row machine where you sit and pull the weight? (Not to be confused with a rower).
I don't actually know. My hypothesis is that it would, but would be less effective. My starting point in strength training was in calisthenics, and particularly from the mindset of manipulating leverages. So I started learning the pull-up by strengthening my lats from vertical pulls, then lowering towards horizontal rows, then elevated row, chin ups, neutral chins, then finally a pull-up.

The logic was that the pull-up is a full body exercise - and it is. I find that the tighter I can get my entire body, from my lats, to neck, down to abs, glutes, and legs, the more efficient and stronger my pull-up. Hence I recommend horizontal rows and it's progression to pull-ups.

I think a rowing machine will help, but you'd have to then learn how to tense and tighten your body and activate your stabiliser (which won't be as engaged in a rowing machine). I suppose it'll help as an assistance exercise, but I'll reiterate that I don't know about its efficiency as a starting point to train the pull-ups.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:So I started learning the pull-up by strengthening my lats from vertical pulls, then lowering towards horizontal rows, then elevated row, chin ups, neutral chins, then finally a pull-up.

The logic was that the pull-up is a full body exercise - and it is. I find that the tighter I can get my entire body, from my lats, to neck, down to abs, glutes, and legs, the more efficient and stronger my pull-up. Hence I recommend horizontal rows and it's progression to pull-ups.
Hmmm.. Sorta..Kinda..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KROQhJ1Wx7s

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

nickgoldma wrote:
Even if you can't do a single proper pull-up, you can experience the magical combination of bodyweight + gravity. I've seen a lot of tricks for increasing pull-ups, and the following drills work:

1. Negatives. Start at the top of the pull-up (chin over bar). Allow yourself to descend slowly and under control. Fight gravity. Achieve fatigue (not failure). Repeat a few times. Stop while you can still fight gravity a little bit.

2. Jump assist pull-ups. Find a bar low enough to grasp with your feet still on the ground. Jump (hop) while also working your back/arms. Find the slightest jump you need to get your chin over the bar. The point is to use just enough of a jump that you can do a bunch of reps with your back & arms getting most of the work. This move is great for training muscle memory of the pull-up motion. Don't overdo it; I've seen some serious DOMS result from jump assist pull-ups.

3. Static hang. 20 pull-ups means roughly 1min on the bar. Might as well get used to hanging around for that long. Work up to it. Again, fatigue not failure.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.