Operator and APFT

MxS/SE/HIC/E
taaland

Re: Operator and APFT

Post by taaland »

J-Madd wrote:Take this with a grain of salt, because I've never taken the APFT. That being said, I agree with the other folks say about "Fast Fives" and hill sprints. You might also find "Strength Endurance Ladders" and "Anaerobic Capacity" spot on too. The APFT includes a 2400m run, right? Something I used to to get my 1600m under 6.00 for the first time was to start working on just running 400m intervals at a 1:30 pace. As soon as I could do that casually, I then started compressing the rest intervals over time. I eventually started doing 800m intervals at a 3:00 pace, and worked on compressing the rest interval. When it came time to test myself on the 1600 I just kept my now usual pace for the first 1200m, and then busted ass on the last lap to get under 6:00. Some guys I have advised used this method to good effect in their 2400m tests.
Army version is 2 min pushups, 2 min situps, and a 2 mile run. I usually score well with little training, but realize that I was slowly falling out of shape so busting my ass to score well this time.

As I sort through these books I can't seem to find anything about finishers. I'm just going to use the SE Alpha and add it to the end, just pushups and situps.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

taaland wrote:
J-Madd wrote:Take this with a grain of salt, because I've never taken the APFT. That being said, I agree with the other folks say about "Fast Fives" and hill sprints. You might also find "Strength Endurance Ladders" and "Anaerobic Capacity" spot on too. The APFT includes a 2400m run, right? Something I used to to get my 1600m under 6.00 for the first time was to start working on just running 400m intervals at a 1:30 pace. As soon as I could do that casually, I then started compressing the rest intervals over time. I eventually started doing 800m intervals at a 3:00 pace, and worked on compressing the rest interval. When it came time to test myself on the 1600 I just kept my now usual pace for the first 1200m, and then busted ass on the last lap to get under 6:00. Some guys I have advised used this method to good effect in their 2400m tests.
Army version is 2 min pushups, 2 min situps, and a 2 mile run. I usually score well with little training, but realize that I was slowly falling out of shape so busting my ass to score well this time.

As I sort through these books I can't seem to find anything about finishers. I'm just going to use the SE Alpha and add it to the end, just pushups and situps.

Ooops, I see it now: "APFT." For no good reason I was thinking your were in the USAF. Sorry about that!

taaland

Post by taaland »

J-Madd wrote:
taaland wrote:

Ooops, I see it now: "APFT." For no good reason I was thinking your were in the USAF. Sorry about that!

I guess essentially the same thing though, to max the 2 mile is to run it in 13:00 or less. So working on a 1600m under 6:00 may help, but it would be a drawn out version essentially. 2400m at a usual pace, bust it for 800m. Seems like a solid concept. With all the E work, I also think that I need some speed work like described above.