Green2Blue TB Log

Barkadion

Re: Green2Blue TB Log

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:I posted this in another thread but I figured I'd present it here...

Now I'm really battling with my decision to do an 8 day training week. I was thinking about it and that's less than 3 days a week of lifting. As a guy with a heavy background in weightlifting that's a tough pill to swallow. That's very low frequency.

Any opinions?
Right.. But the whole reason for going to 8 or even 9 days week is to up the volume by increasing the ## of sets. So your load is the same or even go up. That is my understanding.. Unless I am missing something..
Ya it's an option, not a requirement.

I know for my SQ and DL I'll be upping the volume to 5/4 sets. But I just don't have enough time in the gym per session m to do too many more sets.

Maybe I should just stick with standard Operator? My thought process in adding 1 more rest day was that my overall training load is pretty significant and maybe I'm not allowing my body enough time to rest and adapt.

Appreciate the input.
Can you super-set all the moves? I found that it really saves some time during the training and does help with recovery between the sets.
Unless your gym is too crowded and you aren't able to use all the stations you need..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:I posted this in another thread but I figured I'd present it here...

Now I'm really battling with my decision to do an 8 day training week. I was thinking about it and that's less than 3 days a week of lifting. As a guy with a heavy background in weightlifting that's a tough pill to swallow. That's very low frequency.

Any opinions?
Right.. But the whole reason for going to 8 or even 9 days week is to up the volume by increasing the ## of sets. So your load is the same or even go up. That is my understanding.. Unless I am missing something..
Just to add some more info, I ran the numbers and you would be lifting 2.7 times per week over 7 weeks and then the rotation would be back at the beginning. Over 7 weeks, 5 of the weeks you would lift 3x and 2 of the weeks you would lift 2x. I personally like the way it's currently structured for me, but YMMV.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Ya it's an option, not a requirement.

I know for my SQ and DL I'll be upping the volume to 5/4 sets. But I just don't have enough time in the gym per session m to do too many more sets.

Maybe I should just stick with standard Operator? My thought process in adding 1 more rest day was that my overall training load is pretty significant and maybe I'm not allowing my body enough time to rest and adapt.

Appreciate the input.
Can you super-set all the moves? I found that it really saves some time during the training and does help with recovery between the sets.
Unless your gym is too crowded and you aren't able to use all the stations you need..
That's not really an option with my current gym situation. Plus aren't you still required the minimum of 2 minutes between sets even though you're supersetting? That wouldn't save a significant amount of time unless I'm mistaken.

Not to mention supersetting would completely change the weights I'd be able to use. With that much rest between specific exercise sets I'd be able to handle more. Seems you would be better off doing supersets long term if you're going to do them.

Sorry, didn't mean to nitpick your recommendation. I really do appreciate you helping me make this decision.

If I do it it's not like I'm going from lifting 3 days a week to 2. It's going from a ratio of .43 to .38.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

mikhou wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Any opinions?
Just to add some more info, I ran the numbers and you would be lifting 2.7 times per week over 7 weeks and then the rotation would be back at the beginning. Over 7 weeks, 5 of the weeks you would lift 3x and 2 of the weeks you would lift 2x. I personally like the way it's currently structured for me, but YMMV.
Ya you're absolutely right. Thanks for sharing. Like I just posted, I'm overthinking it and the change isn't super significant. A ratio of .43 to .38. Maybe I'll just give it a shot and see how it works.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:
That's not really an option with my current gym situation. Plus aren't you still required the minimum of 2 minutes between sets even though you're supersetting? That wouldn't save a significant amount of time unless I'm mistaken.

Not to mention supersetting would completely change the weights I'd be able to use. With that much rest between specific exercise sets I'd be able to handle more. Seems you would be better off doing supersets long term if you're going to do them.

Sorry, didn't mean to nitpick your recommendation. I really do appreciate you helping me make this decision.

If I do it it's not like I'm going from lifting 3 days a week to 2. It's going from a ratio of .43 to .38.
No, I mean super-setting with keeping required RI. You take your 2min and move to the next move..I hate all this time and effort I have to spend with changing the setups and waiting for the stations..

Anyway, no worries mate. I just want to add that there is nothing wrong in trying something new or different. You will never know how it is going to be at the end unless you try.. Good luck and keep us posted :D It is fun after all..

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
No, I mean super-setting with keeping required RI. You take your 2min and move to the next move..I hate all this time and effort I have to spend with changing the setups and waiting for the stations..

Anyway, no worries mate. I just want to add that there is nothing wrong in trying something new or different. You will never know how it is going to be at the end unless you try.. Good luck and keep us posted :D It is fun after all..
Your absolutely right. It won't destroy my training to try, and it really might help. And I can always switch back next block.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

10/18/16
Inter-Block Deload/Rehab

SE: Alpha

Push-ups
Inverted Rows
Step-ups
Swiss Crunches

3x30

Notes
-My first workout since my neck injury. Experienced no pain related to my injury. Safe to say I'm pretty much healed up, which is great considering how bad of shape I was in.

-Idk what it is about SE workouts, but they make me feel like death. Probably because I don't do them very often. Once I hit my 6 min mile I'm going to start applying some GC HIC's.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Block 5 Plan

Ht: 5'8"
Wt: ~160 lbs

Goals

3.5xBW DL (3.125, recently tested)
35 Pull-Ups (32, not recently tested)
40 sec 300m (43 sec, not recently tested)
6 min mile (6:36, recently tested)
Completed Half-Marathon (I know I can do at least 10 miles, I could probably do 13.1 if I absolutely had to)

Spartan Trifecta

Plan Outline

Operator(I/A)/Black-Pro

Training Week (8 days):
MS/HIC/MS/Rest/HIC/MS/E/Rest

Cluster/Training Maxes:
SQ: 435 lbs(-10), 5 sets
BP: 245 lbs(+5), 3 sets
WPU: 105 lbs(+5), 3 sets
DL: 480 lbs (+0), 5 sets

Conditioning:
Interval runs, tempo runs, and LSS runs

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:**********
Block 5 Plan

Ht: 5'8"
Wt: ~160 lbs

Goals

3.5xBW DL (3.125, recently tested)
35 Pull-Ups (32, not recently tested)
40 sec 300m (43 sec, not recently tested)
6 min mile (6:36, recently tested)
Completed Half-Marathon (I know I can do at least 10 miles, I could probably do 13.1 if I absolutely had to)

Spartan Trifecta

Plan Outline

Operator(I/A)/Black-Pro

Training Week (8 days):
MS/HIC/MS/Rest/HIC/MS/E/Rest

Cluster/Training Maxes:
SQ: 435 lbs(-10), 5 sets
BP: 245 lbs(+5), 3 sets
WPU: 105 lbs(+5), 3 sets
DL: 480 lbs (+0), 5 sets

Conditioning:
Interval runs, tempo runs, and LSS runs

Solid plan! Good luck!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

10/20/16
Strength (Operator I/A)
Block 5

Primary Lifts (70% Training Max)

SQ 5x5@305 lbs
BP 3x5@170 lbs
WPU 3x5@75 lbs

Accessory Lifts

Overhead Press 3x8-12
Facepulls 3x8-12

Notes
-First day of block 5, and first day lifting post-injury. Went pretty well.

-another change I've decided to make this block is to cut my accessories in half. Only 2 per now instead of 4. Focusing on what's important.