Who are your favorite fitness authors?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
lennarn

Who are your favorite fitness authors?

Post by lennarn »

Aside from K.B. of course, who are your top three fitness coaches/authors/gurus/experts and why do you trust them?

For me, the list is:
Dan John - He has a way of simplifying stuff and really knows what's effective. This is the man who taught me about the hip hinge.
Bret Contreras - Does a lot of research on posterior chain training and writes insightful articles with many scientific sources. He brought the hip thrust into the mainstream recently.
Rory Miller - For all things soft skills related to self defence. Maybe not physical fitness, but fitness nonetheless. Warmly recommended reading for everyone in LE.

Barkadion

Re: Who are your favorite fitness authors?

Post by Barkadion »

I agree with Dan John and Bret Contreras. I don't know Rory Miller. I should look into it.

My additions are:

- Ross E. He changed about everything that I know about training.
- Eric Cressey. Best choice for healthy safe lifting backed up by science and his own experience.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Shivayan

Post by Shivayan »

1. Charles Poliquin ("In the trenches," experience.)
2. Josh Bryant (Same as above.)
"Trample the weak, hurdle the dead."
-Attila the Hun.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Pavel -- His books hooked me on kettlebells (Enter the Kettlebell and Simple & Sinister) and strength as a skill (Power to the People). His ideas have been the one constant in my training since 2006. Before I read Pavel's books I was 300lbs breathy powerlifter with a very tricky back.

Matt Perryman -- Squat Everyday forced me to rethink what I thought my limitations were for training frequency and taught me a lot about the value of controlling myself emotionally when under the bar and autoregulation. I think everybody should try this program once simply for the sake of self-knowledge.

Jim Wendler -- 531 was my first hint that a guy didn't need to be a lard ass to get really strong on the powerlifts, and he made me take the "less is more" principle seriously

Ross Enamait -- Infinite Intensity was the first book that I read that showed how someone might put together across the spectrum fitness.

Conor78

Post by Conor78 »

Apart from KB
1 Dan John
2 Pavel
3 A Read

Pretty much covers it

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Conor78 wrote:Apart from KB
3 A Read
Have to agree with the above.... Good to see Andrew Read in the list above; a stellar influence on the fitness scene.

I enjoy Dan John's writing.
If you got away from some of the marketing hyperbole, Pavel's stuff was really good from a strength point of view.
Mark Twight has been a big influence on my journey, back in the day prior to GJ going through a bit of a seismic shift of late.

For General population, then you cannot really go wrong with Alwyn Cosgrove, Mike Boyle, Tony Gentlicore.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Great names so far. I'll throw two more into the ring.

Brooks Kubik, author of "Dinosaur Training" and many others. Introduced me to what real strength training was. Super nice guy too.

Paul Roarke, retired MGySgt of Marines who wrote the book "Corps Strength". Definitely worth a read, I think his Stand Alone Training is a great compliment to TB.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Great names so far. I'll throw two more into the ring.

Brooks Kubik, author of "Dinosaur Training" and many others. Introduced me to what real strength training was. Super nice guy too.

Paul Roarke, retired MGySgt of Marines who wrote the book "Corps Strength". Definitely worth a read, I think his Stand Alone Training is a great compliment to TB.
I really like SAT too, and I agree that Roarke's book is very good. I use something like his system when I'm doing my base build/endurance phase.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Joel Jamieson.

I tend to shy away from people in the online fitness industry, and prefer learning from pros "in the trenches". Jamieson easily fits the bill. Seems like the easiest way to separate the fluff from the gold. Probably why I'm all-in when it comes to TB.

On that note, I'd love to get my hands on training material from NFL S&C coaches.

Mike Prevost

Post by Mike Prevost »

I spoke at length to a trainer for the San Diego Chargers. Seems that many NFL players use their own trainers. They tend to do much less group training like college sports. In fact, the college strength and conditioning programs are much more well developed and organized for that reason. I read an article recently about how the Saints coaches visited Alabama recently to learn about their strength and conditioning program. Seems like the college level is where the real action is. Having done a tour on staff at the Naval Academy, I can tell you that they had a fantastic strength and conditioning program.

I agree with those above who mentioned Dan John and Andrew Read. Anything those two put out, I am reading.

Mike Prevost
http://built-to-endure.blogspot.com/
Mike Prevost, PhD
Assistant Professor, Loyola Marymount University
CAPT US Navy Retired
http://built-to-endure.blogspot.com/