How much E is too much?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Balaclava

Re: How much E is too much?

Post by Balaclava »

xfitxm wrote: I often read this information. But is it possible to accomplish those 2 goals while on operator black?

Running a half marathon need more volume than 1 E session every other week. I think.

Am I wrong?

Is it more for the green protocol?
First off, it depends on where you start, and what skill level you're aspiring to. The ability to complete a half-marathon at any given time while having a 500lb deadlift, is not the same as training to take first place in said half.

If you're no stranger to running and have Base Building under your belt, then even 1 E every other week is sufficient for half-marathon capacity year round while progressing strength. Is it the optimal way to train if you want to take first place? No, you won't break any records.

Let's break it down. You get 2 HICs + 1 E every other week. If running's a personal weakness and one wanted to do the minimum to build half-marathon capacity while still lifting (year round), then it would make sense to do Fast-5 and Hills as your 2 HICs every week. Every other week a long run, 60 mins +.
8 weeks of Base already behind said runner. Doing that for most of the year would easily build the capability to complete a half-marathon at any given time. If the same trainee does mostly heavy bag or short sprints for HIC (with the goal of half marathon capacity), then common sense is lacking.

If you're a weak runner and completing something like a half is a major undertaking that you want to master sooner rather than later, then it stands to reason you'd want to run Black Professional, not Standard. Now you're running 3x week, Hills, Fast-5, plus 1-2 hour LISS.

Green would be overkill, unless you're training for a competitive race result. Green would make it harder for you to build a 600lb deadlift on the side. Not impossible by any means, but most people in the real world don't have the discipline or time to manage the nutrition and recovery needed to get a competitive half-marathon time and a monster deadlift.

The point I'm trying to make is that being able to pick up and run a half marathon anytime, while having a 500-600lb deadlift is not the same as being able to run a half-marathon and take first place while sporting a 500-600lb deadlift. The first is very do-able for the average person with the right program (TB). The second is another story.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Balaclava wrote:
xfitxm wrote: I often read this information. But is it possible to accomplish those 2 goals while on operator black?

Running a half marathon need more volume than 1 E session every other week. I think.

Am I wrong?

First off, it depends on where you start, and what skill level you're aspiring to. The ability to complete a half-marathon at any given time while having a 500lb deadlift, is not the same as training to take first place in said half.

If you're no stranger to running and have Base Building under your belt, then even 1 E every other week is sufficient for half-marathon capacity year round while progressing strength. Is it the optimal way to train if you want to take first place? No, you won't break any records.

Let's break it down. You get 2 HICs + 1 E every other week. If running's a personal weakness and one wanted to do the minimum to build half-marathon capacity while still lifting (year round), then it would make sense to do Fast-5 and Hills as your 2 HICs every week. Every other week a long run, 60 mins +.
8 weeks of Base already behind said runner. Doing that for most of the year would easily build the capability to complete a half-marathon at any given time. If the same trainee does mostly heavy bag or short sprints for HIC (with the goal of half marathon capacity), then common sense is lacking.

If you're a weak runner and completing something like a half is a major undertaking that you want to master sooner rather than later, then it stands to reason you'd want to run Black Professional, not Standard. Now you're running 3x week, Hills, Fast-5, plus 1-2 hour LISS.

Green would be overkill, unless you're training for a competitive race result. Green would make it harder for you to build a 600lb deadlift on the side. Not impossible by any means, but most people in the real world don't have the discipline or time to manage the nutrition and recovery needed to get a competitive half-marathon time and a monster deadlift.

The point I'm trying to make is that being able to pick up and run a half marathon anytime, while having a 500-600lb deadlift is not the same as being able to run a half-marathon and take first place while sporting a 500-600lb deadlift. The first is very do-able for the average person with the right program (TB). The second is another story.
Thanks really informative post.

I ran BB in the winter at home, so I sticked to spinning bikes and kettlebell / burpees as HIC. So I'm not sure my BB was as good as if I had run.

I started to run and hill sprint at spring but was difficult. But still doing burpees or jump rope. Maybe I didn't run enough.

When I started to add more hills I got a start of achile tendinitis or something like that.

I'm debating if I should do another BB now or wait until spring because I won't run this winter.
When spring

As you said I will concentrate more on running HIC. It's just that I like variety in my training because I just train for health and aesthetic. I should make conditioning plans because I lack of.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

xfitxm wrote:
Balaclava wrote:

Am I wrong?

Thanks really informative post.

I ran BB in the winter at home, so I sticked to spinning bikes and kettlebell / burpees as HIC. So I'm not sure my BB was as good as if I had run.

I started to run and hill sprint at spring but was difficult. But still doing burpees or jump rope. Maybe I didn't run enough.

When I started to add more hills I got a start of achile tendinitis or something like that.

I'm debating if I should do another BB now or wait until spring because I won't run this winter.
When spring

As you said I will concentrate more on running HIC. It's just that I like variety in my training because I just train for health and aesthetic. I should make conditioning plans because I lack of.
Why though? Is it a goal of yours to be able to run a half? I'll piggyback on Aelian's excellent post a page back and suggest that your goals don't have to match the standard TB goals for tactical athletes. The program's designed to be modified for your specific goals.....so if you're not interested in increasing your running capacity then don't.

In your post you say you're training for health and aesthetics. Well, in that case you don't need to have the ability to run a half. What you're currently doing is probably more beneficial for your particular goal. You will get well conditioned doing what you're doing, you'll just lack specificity when it comes to running. Not a big deal if you don't have an occupational or competitive need for it.