J-Madd's Training Log

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Really appreciate the compliment.

There's not a whole lot that can be said in all honesty. You're swinging the beast with 1h for reps. :shock:

What I tend to keep in mind is that if I were to let the 'bell go, it would fly horizontally away from me at the top of the move, so there needs to be a real focus on snapping those hips (think hitting the opposite wall with your belt buckle ........ with the proviso that you don't push the hips forward - gut 'n' butt squeezed tight).

You may have a bit of a lean back and the shoulder may do with being 'packed', as you say, but you are 1H swinging the best for reps....... there's a definite degradation in snap as the reps climb, especially switching to the second side.

For me personally I would reset every couple of reps, ie. park the bell focus then drive, so that the power generation was there with virtually every rep. So instead of 10 reps each arm, I would do 10 sets of 2 (5 rounds each side)..... same volume, but keeping the reps 'snappy'.

But.You.Are.Swinging.The.Beast.For.Reps :shock:

Stay safe, stay strong, I enjoy reading your log and insights.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Oh and don't worry about the height of the KB at the apex of the swing, let the momentum generated carry the KB, so if it doesn't reach chest level, so be it. The arms are not there to pull the bell higher.

Focus, snap the hips, guide the bell with the arm, and then drive it back down to the crotch before getting out of the way at the last second ( which you appear to do on a fair few of the reps, impressive matey.)
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Really appreciate the compliment.

There's not a whole lot that can be said in all honesty. You're swinging the beast with 1h for reps. :shock:

What I tend to keep in mind is that if I were to let the 'bell go, it would fly horizontally away from me at the top of the move, so there needs to be a real focus on snapping those hips (think hitting the opposite wall with your belt buckle ........ with the proviso that you don't push the hips forward - gut 'n' butt squeezed tight).

You may have a bit of a lean back and the shoulder may do with being 'packed', as you say, but you are 1H swinging the best for reps....... there's a definite degradation in snap as the reps climb, especially switching to the second side.

For me personally I would reset every couple of reps, ie. park the bell focus then drive, so that the power generation was there with virtually every rep. So instead of 10 reps each arm, I would do 10 sets of 2 (5 rounds each side)..... same volume, but keeping the reps 'snappy'.

But.You.Are.Swinging.The.Beast.For.Reps :shock:

Stay safe, stay strong, I enjoy reading your log and insights.
Thanks a lot THLE. These points are all very helpful. I intentionally drew your attention to a video of me swinging the Beast, because surely whatever weakness are hidden in my swing are going to reveal themselves there. It occurred to me that I have had very smart people check my technique on the barbell lifts several time over the years and often take videos to check it myself, but I've never done that with my KB techniques. I really appreciate having a pro's eye on those swings.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Standard Issue Fun Run + 15lbs vest/61 min

I did sub mountain climbers for the squats, because there's been a lot of squatting in my very recent past. Now I'm off to watch my kids crush it in a swim meet!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

OP I/A Wave 1 7/9 (85%)
SQ: 340/3x5
OHP: 155/3x5
WPU: BW+35/3x5
1-H KB Swing: 40KG/50-40-10

That was a lot of fun today. I had planned to cap the volume a bit more today, especially on the SQ, but the triples really kept coming. I had to tear myself away from the pull-up bar. I only stopped the OHP/WPU for the sake of time constraints. Things got a little long, since I kept the breaks on the SQ closer to three minutes. I almost went for 60 continuous swings with the Bulldog, but I thought better of it. I did improve the second set to 40, so I'm progressing on that front.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd wrote:OP I/A Wave 1 7/9 (85%)
WPU: BW+35/3x5
1-H KB Swing: 40KG/50-40-10

That was a lot of fun today. I had planned to cap the volume a bit more today, especially on the SQ, but the triples really kept coming. I had to tear myself away from the pull-up bar. I only stopped the OHP/WPU for the sake of time constraints. Things got a little long, since I kept the breaks on the SQ closer to three minutes. I almost went for 60 continuous swings with the Bulldog, but I thought better of it. I did improve the second set to 40, so I'm progressing on that front.
I had that same feeling in my session today. Could have kept going, but had to cap it due to time. :-)

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

mikhou wrote:Could have kept going, but had to cap it due to time. :-)
Don't you hate it when the real world impinges on your hobbies. ;)

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd wrote:
mikhou wrote:Could have kept going, but had to cap it due to time. :-)
Don't you hate it when the real world impinges on your hobbies. ;)
Yeah, what a pain to have to earn a living! :lol:

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Tough Judo session tonight. I'm completely smoked. We'll see how the squats look in the morning.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Operator I/A Wave 1 8/9 (85%)
WPU: 35/3x10
Plank and Shank (35lbs vest): Round 1/Plank x 120 sec - Shank x 90 sec Round 2/Plank x 90 sec - Shank x 60 sec

I started alternating SQ and WPU, because I wanted a little longer break between squat sets. Things started pretty ugly, but everything clicked when I got to set 3 of SQ. The WPU was feeling so great that I just kept that party going into my OHP. All that volume might have some implications for the next couple days. We'll see. I did Plank and Shank instead of my usual Wednesday carrying. Whenever I do P&S, I wear the vest I'm using for pull-ups that day.