Preparation for Army phase 1 training.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Staffy1997

Preparation for Army phase 1 training.

Post by Staffy1997 »

Hi guys, I apologise in advance for this being a really long winded question. (Think of it as a mix between a introduction post and a question)

I've been reading and using the strategies and programs from tb1 & 2 for nearly a year now and had great results, I've been training in preparation for basic training in the British army.

My goals are to get maximum scores on my PFT and be in the best place fitness wise for training. My current stats are:
-BW:76.5kg
-19yrs old
-1.5miler: 11.30mins(pb) 13.30mins current
-5k: 27.15mins
-10k: 55mins
-Benchpress 60kg x1
-Squat 75kg x1
-Deadlift 80kg x2
-Push-ups and sit-ups 2 minute tests are 30 reps and 40 reps respectively

I'm currently using the Green protocol from tb2 with Ross enamaits strength routines from never gymless.

Could you guys give me any tips to help me acheive my goals?
(Ps if anyone could also answer the following questions, that would be fantastic!)

What are the biggest mistakes and myths you see in pre-boot camp training? What are the biggest wastes of time?

What are your favourite instructional books or resources on the subject? If people had to train themselves without an instructor, what would you suggest they use?

If you were to train me for three months for basic training, what would the training look like? What if I trained for six months?

Once again I apologise for the length of my first post, thanks in advance for any help.

Aelian

Re: Preparation for Army phase 1 training.

Post by Aelian »

Honestly just sticking to the basic programming will be more than enough for PFT.
Based on the stats you posted you need improvement in a couple key areas;

1.5 mile
Push-ups/Sit-ups
...which translates to aerobic capacity and strength-endurance.

The 1.5 mile is primarily aerobic + lactate threshold. You slay this with a two step approach.
1. Build an aerobic base.
2. Work on lactate threshold/tempo after you build an aerobic base.

Let's move on to your push-ups and sit-ups. Lots of room for improvement. This is going to be SE work.
1. Build muscular endurance by using a concentrated block of SE.

If you look at what I've outlined, Base Building should be the template that comes to mind. Right now your numbers just aren't good enough to run Green protocol. You got lots of room to grow with Base Building first.

As someone that's run my fair share of PFTS, If I were in your shoes-- I'd do this:

1. Base Building - Use the PFT exercises in your SE cluster. Alpha circuits 3 x week.
2. Green + Fighter Bangkok - Remember to push the pace during your E sessions. Do lots of Fun-Runs and Fast 5 tempo style runs. There's no more heart rate restriction. You need to add speed to train lactate threshold. Get your body used to the pain of fast and long. You need speed work to ace the 1.5. Actually you need both, aerobic capacity and speed. One without the other and you'll get sub-par results. Keep the PFT exercises in for your SE day.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Staffy1997 wrote: I'm currently using the Green protocol from tb2 with Ross enamaits strength routines from never gymless.
Ross Enamait is an excellent resource and trainer. But TB Fighter template is vastly superior to the II or NG strength routines. Fighter checks off all the boxes;

Focuses on the big compound lifts
Incorporates progression (probably the most important aspect)
Frequent enough to progress your strength, while still being compatible with a heavy conditioning or training program.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Staffy, I forgot to add that I'd recommend that set up not only for your PFT, but to prepare for Phase 1/Boot etc. After Base, stay on Green + Fighter perpetually until you start your contract.

Your cardio during Green should mostly consist of Fun-Runs, shorter (3 mile) tempo runs, and ruck marching.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Caleddin

Post by Caleddin »

Aelian, because the heart rate restriction opens up E a bit do you start considering fast 5s/tempo runs as E, or do you keep them as HIC like TF2 classifies them? Or does it transfer from HIC to E as your fitness increases?

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Caleddin wrote:Aelian, because the heart rate restriction opens up E a bit do you start considering fast 5s/tempo runs as E, or do you keep them as HIC like TF2 classifies them? Or does it transfer from HIC to E as your fitness increases?

Good question. It could classify as either depending on your level of fitness and pace. For novices, running 5k is probably an achievement in itself that falls more in line with E.

But outside of novices I'd guess the average TB'er probably runs 5k well under 30 minutes which disqualifies it from the "E" category.

So I guess the short answer is it doesn't matter. You can run it as an E if it takes you 30 minutes or longer (pacing yourself at 130-150bpm), or it's a HIC/tempo run if you finish it under 30 mins at a quicker pace.

Now that I think about it, it's actually very clever of KB to include it in HIC because it forces you to work on speed outside your comfort zone, while still being an aerobic workout.

banana

Post by banana »

Aelian wrote:Honestly just sticking to the basic programming will be more than enough for PFT.

1.5 mile
Push-ups/Sit-ups

The 1.5 mile is primarily aerobic + lactate threshold. You slay this with a two step approach.

Let's move on to your push-ups and sit-ups. Lots of room for improvement. This is going to be SE work.

If you look at what I've outlined, Base Building should be the template that comes to mind. Right now your numbers just aren't good enough to run Green protocol. You got lots of room to grow with Base Building first.

As someone that's run my fair share of PFTS, If I were in your shoes-- I'd do this:

1. Base Building - Use the PFT exercises in your SE cluster. Alpha circuits 3 x week.
2. Green + Fighter Bangkok - Remember to push the pace during your E sessions. Do lots of Fun-Runs and Fast 5 tempo style runs. There's no more heart rate restriction. You need to add speed to train lactate threshold. Get your body used to the pain of fast and long. You need speed work to ace the 1.5. Actually you need both, aerobic capacity and speed. One without the other and you'll get sub-par results. Keep the PFT exercises in for your SE day.
I'm a high school football lineman joining the US Army in late August. Would you recommend the same plan for me? My main issue is that I have to lose 50 pounds and improve on pushups and my 2 mile run.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

banana wrote:
Aelian wrote:Honestly just sticking to the basic programming will be more than enough for PFT.

1.5 mile
Push-ups/Sit-ups

I'm a high school football lineman joining the US Army in late August. Would you recommend the same plan for me? My main issue is that I have to lose 50 pounds and improve on pushups and my 2 mile run.
Definitely do Base. Re-assess after. SE first, and include your pft exercises.