J-Madd's Training Log

J-Madd

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by J-Madd »

I went to a new BJJ class today. It was a great 90 min session. Lots of drilling, and it ended with two 7 minute rounds of full-speed. With a 90% effort with the weights coming tomorrow or Saturday, I'm not gong to add any additional conditioning.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Operatore I/A Wave 1 9/9 (90%)
SQ: 360/2x5
WPU: 50/2x8
OHP: 165/2x5

I really enjoy the scheme for OP I/A as written in TB. Keeping the bulk of the work at 80-85% with a just a peek into the 90% range at the end of the wave is the sweet spot for me. Contrary to plan, I didn't really back-off my volume at all (in fact, in terms of the total sets, I added to it!) this week. This felt great, so I went for it. I have a planned deload next week, and if it weren't for that, I would have played much more conservatively today and Wednesday. I'll do a HIC this weekend, and then it's easy street for a week. I will still go to my Judo and BJJ classes.

I forgot to bring my laptop with me to for the workout, so I don't have my usual Friday video. I suspect, however, that the world will be just fine without any more unnecessary images of me!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:I have a planned deload next week, and if it weren't for that, I would have played much more conservatively today and Wednesday.
May I ask you how do you plan the deloads? I am thinking about that myself. Just want to get everything I can from the standard Black for now..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I have a planned deload next week, and if it weren't for that, I would have played much more conservatively today and Wednesday.
May I ask you how do you plan the deloads? I am thinking about that myself. Just want to get everything I can from the standard Black for now..
Next week I will probably just roll on Tuesday and Thursday, and MAYBE my bi-weekly LSS on Saturday. That will get me away from the barbells and sprints for a week, but still keep the juices going. If I weren't involved in Judo/BJJ, I would do a Tango SE workout or a GC like "Brig Rat", though using the minimal recommend number of rounds and maximum of allotted rest time. On Thursday or Friday I would do a little something for grip and/or core.

If I go completely sedentary, I will come out of the week feeling pretty crappy. In my case, Judo/BJJ and my bike commuting take care of that. If you don't have those (or similar) elements in your weekly activities over and above your strength and conditioning work, then you might want to keep a little something in the mix. Remember, that the point is to deload, so whatever you keep needs allow for lots of rest.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Next week I will probably just roll on Tuesday and Thursday, and MAYBE my bi-weekly LSS on Saturday. That will get me away from the barbells and sprints for a week, but still keep the juices going. If I weren't involved in Judo/BJJ, I would do a Tango SE workout or a GC like "Brig Rat", though using the minimal recommend number of rounds and maximum of allotted rest time. On Thursday or Friday I would do a little something for grip and/or core.

If I go completely sedentary, I will come out of the week feeling pretty crappy. In my case, Judo/BJJ and my bike commuting take care of that. If you don't have those (or similar) elements in your weekly activities over and above your strength and conditioning work, then you might want to keep a little something in the mix. Remember, that the point is to deload, so whatever you keep needs allow for lots of rest.
Thank you. And you plan it in advance or by auto-regulation?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote: And you plan it in advance or by auto-regulation?
I'm going to planned back-off weeks. I'm a big fan of auto-regulation (e.g., the number of sets) within a workout, and even within a training week (one or two day rests in OP I/A), but I want to have pretty tight control over the load over long periods. Having frequent planned back-offs lets me take that control, even when my day-to-day decisions making about sets/days off is less conservative than it should be over the long haul.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote: And you plan it in advance or by auto-regulation?
I'm going to planned back-off weeks. I'm a big fan of auto-regulation (e.g., the number of sets) within a workout, and even within a training week (one or two day rests in OP I/A), but I want to have pretty tight control over the load over long periods. Having frequent planned back-offs lets me take that control, even when my day-to-day decisions making about sets/days off is less conservative than it should be over the long haul.
Thank you. I'll be very interested to see how it is going to work with your training. I really appreciate you are logging your sessions.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

J-Madd wrote:Operatore I/A Wave 1 9/9 (90%)
SQ: 360/2x5
WPU: 50/2x8
OHP: 165/2x5

I really enjoy the scheme for OP I/A as written in TB. Keeping the bulk of the work at 80-85% with a just a peek into the 90% range at the end of the wave is the sweet spot for me. Contrary to plan, I didn't really back-off my volume at all (in fact, in terms of the total sets, I added to it!) this week. This felt great, so I went for it. I have a planned deload next week, and if it weren't for that, I would have played much more conservatively today and Wednesday. I'll do a HIC this weekend, and then it's easy street for a week. I will still go to my Judo and BJJ classes.

I forgot to bring my laptop with me to for the workout, so I don't have my usual Friday video. I suspect, however, that the world will be just fine without any more unnecessary images of me!
Good to see you are enjoying it. I have been skimming your log regularly and I am thinking of making the full jump to OP I/A.
I just need to decide now whether I want to quickly sneak in my yearly base building before going full into the OP I/A strength work + Black.
I have been having issues recovering and getting in any decent HIC due to work and I think I may be best just to revisit BB to rebuild that work cap.

I really like your idea of hitting a certain volume of sets through the week and using that first session to push it (5+ sets) and have the option to drop volume throughout the week. I think I will be adopting that as I usually do my first MS session on a day off and it would take the pressure off. I also like the idea of hitting extra sets on things like pullups. I have just stuck with the bare minimum volumes lately which works great for my squat, but my pullups respond to a much higher volume. Op I/A seems like a good way to go about getting the best of both.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Maxrip13 wrote:[
Good to see you are enjoying it. I have been skimming your log regularly and I am thinking of making the full jump to OP I/A.

Thanks for reading along. I really appreciate that, and I hope it helps give you some ideas.

I just need to decide now whether I want to quickly sneak in my yearly base building before going full into the OP I/A strength work + Black.
I have been having issues recovering and getting in any decent HIC due to work and I think I may be best just to revisit BB to rebuild that work cap.

How long has it been since you did BB?

I really like your idea of hitting a certain volume of sets through the week and using that first session to push it (5+ sets) and have the option to drop volume throughout the week. I think I will be adopting that as I usually do my first MS session on a day off and it would take the pressure off. I also like the idea of hitting extra sets on things like pullups.

I started doing this a couple years ago when I first tried Wendler's "75/85 Volume" plan. I found that the first day of a week I was very fresh. I would try to push the volume a little bit so that I could get ahead on my goal for the week and take the pressure off, and the worked great when I went to OP I/A last year. If you look at the original OP I/A in TB2, there is a slide down in the volume as the heavy lifts progress through the week. As I mention above, getting to 10+ sets/lift/week is where the magic happens for me. The key, however, is not to make an idol of any number. You can still have a great week, without getting to your historical sweet spot. I'm really pleased that I got all the way through this wave of OP I/A in that range for all my lifts. I don't expect that every wave will go that way every wave.

I have just stuck with the bare minimum volumes lately which works great for my squat, but my pullups respond to a much higher volume. Op I/A seems like a good way to go about getting the best of both.

Exactly, if you aren't pushing the SQ now, or your find it much more expensive, then keep it minimal and go to down on the lifts that you want to emphasize or those that are more economical for you. That's the beauty of this method.

[/quote]

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

J-Madd wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:[

How long has it been since you did BB?

Last time I did a proper base building was October last year. Following this I did more of a green protocol with fighter ( Pistol,Bench, Weighted Pullup) for a while before doing a different training program that had me doing a lot of high volume lifting and long grinding conditioning work. I haven't really employed a proper black protocol in years when I think about it.

I have just stuck with the bare minimum volumes lately which works great for my squat, but my pullups respond to a much higher volume. Op I/A seems like a good way to go about getting the best of both.

Exactly, if you aren't pushing the SQ now, or your find it much more expensive, then keep it minimal and go to down on the lifts that you want to emphasize or those that are more economical for you. That's the beauty of this method.

I get excellent training results with high volume squats, but my life becomes based around recovering from the fatigue. I would rather get the bare minimum as I am already reasonably strong and be able to push my conditioning for a while. I have no issues recovering from high volume upper body work for some weird reason.
[/quote]