Training around a foot injury

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tym87

Training around a foot injury

Post by Tym87 »

I'm going to be having ankle surgery and I'm trying to figure out my new block. I'm thinking OP with BP, WPU and maybe dumbbell rows? Not sure on the third lift. My problem will really be with conditioning which I'd like to keep my gas tank as large as I can. Running and Rucking will be a no go for sure for at least 6 weeks or more. The Rower and kettlebell might be an option after week 3.

Any suggestions? Heavy Bag maybe?

Saracen

Re: Training around a foot injury

Post by Saracen »

Can you deadlift? If I were in your shoes I'd go a little off the beaten path, try something like Operator template with DL + BP (or OHP) followed by an Alpha circuit pull-up finisher. Every week progress the pull-ups by 10 as per the template. If you want to be adventurous cycle from Alpha to Bravo #s over 6 weeks, so you'll be going from 10 to 60. I think it would be interesting combining the high rep pull-ups on top of regular minimalist Op work.

Days 1/3/5: BP/DL + Pull-up finisher

For conditioning, I'd look into battle ropes, rowing, heavy bag, sledge drills. You could do Triples, or straight up short higher intensity sessions.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Saracen wrote:Can you deadlift? If I were in your shoes I'd go a little off the beaten path, try something like Operator template with DL + BP (or OHP) followed by an Alpha circuit pull-up finisher. Every week progress the pull-ups by 10 as per the template. If you want to be adventurous cycle from Alpha to Bravo #s over 6 weeks, so you'll be going from 10 to 60. I think it would be interesting combining the high rep pull-ups on top of regular minimalist Op work.

I love the deadlift but I'm assuming ill not be able to put weight on my foot for a few weeks since it's bone surgery. I like the pull up idea. I might go with some permutation of high rep pull ups.

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Tym87 wrote:
Saracen wrote:Can you deadlift? If I were in your shoes I'd go a little off the beaten path, try something like Operator template with DL + BP (or OHP) followed by an Alpha circuit pull-up finisher. Every week progress the pull-ups by 10 as per the template. If you want to be adventurous cycle from Alpha to Bravo #s over 6 weeks, so you'll be going from 10 to 60. I think it would be interesting combining the high rep pull-ups on top of regular minimalist Op work.

I love the deadlift but I'm assuming ill not be able to put weight on my foot for a few weeks since it's bone surgery. I like the pull up idea. I might go with some permutation of high rep pull ups.
Copy that.. I just edited my post to include a few conditioning ideas.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

If you have access to a glute ham raise apparatus, I'd recommend GHRs so you can still get some posterior chain work which will help carry over once you can get back to lower body stuff. Run it BW-only as per Operator, it would pair well with BP+WPU I feel for a good six week block before you can get back to things. Cardio-wise: rowing, speed bag, battle ropes as mentioned above, all good ideas.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:If you have access to a glute ham raise apparatus, I'd recommend GHRs so you can still get some posterior chain work which will help carry over once you can get back to lower body stuff. Run it BW-only as per Operator, it would pair well with BP+WPU I feel for a good six week block before you can get back to things. Cardio-wise: rowing, speed bag, battle ropes as mentioned above, all good ideas.
Good ideas Grouchy. Never considered a speed bag, sounds fun/brutal

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I stumbled across that one when I had a bad injury in my strongman days. During a competition, I dropped a 280# stone on my inner right heel and cracked it, though I didn't know it at the time and still finished. It wasn't until later at the hotel when I realized it was a bit more than a bruise. I worked at a gym at the time, so I decided to start working the speed bag again. It ended up being a good workout and I enjoyed it, kept it up for a while once I rehabbed until I moved on from that gym to the police academy.

This is a great tutorial if you have one available.

https://youtu.be/PIV7SdAHT9I