Kettlebell program

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tyr0331

Kettlebell program

Post by Tyr0331 »

Anyone ever stayed consistent on a kettlebel SE program? Thinking about trying a kettlebell only program for my SE days for a block

J-Madd

Re: Kettlebell program

Post by J-Madd »

I highly recommend Simple and Sinister for a solid, all-around kettlebell program for both newbies and advanced trainees.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

J-Madd wrote:I highly recommend Simple and Sinister for a solid, all-around kettlebell program for both newbies and advanced trainees.
Right on. Got the book

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Anyone got any input as to what would 'Greasing the Groove' with KB swings look like on the Operator/Black program? I am currently using swings (100 continuous) as a 'finisher' following the lifts. I have access to a KB all day. I've got Simple and Sinister on my Christmas list. :P

Just found this quoted by J-Madd from an earlier post
"I'm a big fan of S&S. I think you could work S&S swings into a standard or I/A OP template easily 1-3 days/week, depending on whether you are deadlifting. S&S is the best way to master a heavy KB so that you can work it into your HIC drills. I explain how I did this in my Apex article at TB.com".

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

PeterHealey wrote:Anyone got any input as to what would 'Greasing the Groove' with KB swings look like on the Operator/Black program? I am currently using swings (100 continuous) as a 'finisher' following the lifts. I have access to a KB all day. I've got Simple and Sinister on my Christmas list. :P

"I'm a big fan of S&S. I think you could work S&S swings into a standard or I/A OP template easily 1-3 days/week, depending on whether you are deadlifting. S&S is the best way to master a heavy KB so that you can work it into your HIC drills. I explain how I did this in my Apex article at TB.com".

I would also like to know what J-Madd meant by depending on if you are deadlifting I haven't read the whole book yet, about halfway thru but it is just based on the TGU and swing. My plan was to do one S&S session a week and use it for my SE day on fighter Bangkok with a cluster of back squat deads OHP and weighted pull-ups. Alternating the deads and pull-ups once a week but not sure if the deadlifting plus kb swings will be too much together. So considering just doing power cleans instead

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Tyr0331 wrote:
PeterHealey wrote:Anyone got any input as to what would 'Greasing the Groove' with KB swings look like on the Operator/Black program? I am currently using swings (100 continuous) as a 'finisher' following the lifts. I have access to a KB all day. I've got Simple and Sinister on my Christmas list. :P

I would just put 1-5 sets of 10L-10R one-hand swings at at the end of your operator sessions. Keep the rest breaks on the long side. When you feel completely recovered, go for another set. Keep everything very crisp. If you are doing two-hand swings, still keep the number of reps to ten. If you have the DL in your cluster, I would keep this to 1-2 days/week. If you don't have the DL, you could do this 3 day/week, but either way monitor the number of sets by how you feel and the rest of your load.

If you want to stick with the 100 continuous swings as a finisher, you can follow how I worked up to doing that with the 40KG in my log on this forum.

I would also like to know what J-Madd meant by depending on if you are deadlifting I haven't read the whole book yet, about halfway thru but it is just based on the TGU and swing. My plan was to do one S&S session a week and use it for my SE day on fighter Bangkok with a cluster of back squat deads OHP and weighted pull-ups. Alternating the deads and pull-ups once a week but not sure if the deadlifting plus kb swings will be too much together. So considering just doing power cleans instead

So you would do swings on your SE day and on your non-DL strength day, right? If so, I think that's a very solid plan for developing your swing. Keep in mind, however, that a greasing the groove approach to swings is not exactly SE. Thus, if SE is a high priority for you might have to adjust.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

J-Madd wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:

I would just put 1-5 sets of 10L-10R one-hand swings at at the end of your operator sessions. Keep the rest breaks on the long side. When you feel completely recovered, go for another set. Keep everything very crisp. If you are doing two-hand swings, still keep the number of reps to ten. If you have the DL in your cluster, I would keep this to 1-2 days/week. If you don't have the DL, you could do this 3 day/week, but either way monitor the number of sets by how you feel and the rest of your load.

If you want to stick with the 100 continuous swings as a finisher, you can follow how I worked up to doing that with the 40KG in my log on this forum.

So you would do swings on your SE day and on your non-DL strength day, right? If so, I think that's a very solid plan for developing your swing. Keep in mind, however, that a greasing the groove approach to swings is not exactly SE. Thus, if SE is a high priority for you might have to adjust.

Was thinking more of just doing all the KB work on my SE day. Haven't finished the book yet but seems like you need to hit a few days of the TGU and swing per week so debating how I'm going to program it in now

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Dan John is quite famous for creating KB complexes that can beat you down..

Here are few.
The Coyote

- 15  Swings
- 5  Goblet Squats
- 3  Push-Ups (or variations)

This little workout covers all the basic human movements and has the odd ability to always allow "one more round." Simply try this for five rounds the first time and you'll find that you have, by itself, an appropriate, repeatable, all-round workout. If you can handle the volume, 20 rounds equals 300 swings, 100 squats, and 60 push-ups and is a respectable workout. To make it harder, first increase the number of push-ups. Then, add a bigger bell. This is a great workout anywhere, any time, and for any reason.

"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I am using S&S + fighter pullup programming for my basebuilding right now and absolutely loving it. I am in my 4th week of 5 and am nearly considering extending it out a bit.

I started with daily training and doing two a days with the run and kettlebell work split. I then occasionally combined them into a single session. I have had to alternate s&S+ Pullups and the run now due to work and recovery ability. I try to get at least 3 sessions of each in through the week before progressing.

The S&S work is great to grind away at and slowly progress each session. I have progressed from a 24kg kettlebell to a 32 kg with barely any effort.You only just feel like you are training and begin to really enjoy just going in and getting the work done.

The fighter pullup progression is pretty aggressive, but gives you that feeling of actually working hard that some people need. Think of it like a short intense finisher. I was conservative and chose a 10 rep max, when mine is probably closer to 15. I am now doing multiple sets of 12 + pullups and will be really interested to see my new max in a week or two.

I have been able to run regularly with minor issues also. My recovery up until this week was quite good. I am back on shift work and have been doing a lot of early and late night shifts which has made things harder, but I have still progressed.

Another bonus is all the comments I have been getting as I drop body fat and start to lean up. I had nop intention for that and thought I would lose a bit of muscle, but between the pullups and heavier swings I have done the opposite. The break from barbells and weighted pullups has probably given my body a bit of a chance to recover also.