WPU 3x2@100 lbs

3 min rest

Accessory Complex

Z Press
Front Squat
x3

1 min rest

Notes
-Good workout. Need to not do an overhead press with my front squat next time. Makes the rack position too difficult.

J-Madd

Re: Green2Blue TB Log

Post by J-Madd »

Green2Blue wrote:I'm still a firm believer that you should increase yours sets when increasing your load becomes too difficult, but I really took it too far.
I'm with you on this!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

How G2B Eats

Since there's a discussion on nutrition going on I thought I'd share how I eat. This is an important topic for me. Prior to my enlistment I was obese. These days, thanks to training and nutrition, I'm not. Training and nutrition are two sides of the same coin. You're really hamstringing your training efforts without paying attention to your nutrition.

I'm a huge advocate of tracking your nutrition and body weight. I track maybe %75 of the time now, but only because I've been doing it for so long that I'm pretty good at guessing

Right now I'm pretty happy with my body composition. I'm on a slowwwww caloric surplus, looking to gain maybe a pound a month.

My Basic Principals
-Track. I can't recommend it enough. I weigh myself just about every morning (watch the trend, not the fluctuations), and count my calories and macronutrients evey day. I use myfitnesspal for tracking. The Eat to Perform calculator is a good place to start knowing how much you need, then watch your weight and adjust accordingly.

-For macronutrients I believe in 1 gram per lb of bw (lean bw if you're overweight). I fill in carbs and fats after that, usually aiming for an even split. As Bark mentioned in another post, too little carbs and your performance suffers, too little fat and your hormonal balance suffers.

-I believe in clean eating with moderate indulgence. I follow what I call paleo-athletic. Meats, eggs, vegetables, seed and nuts, some fruit; but I also eat starches like potatoes, rice, and oats, and consume some dairy like whey and Greek yogurt. I'm not so anal about the paleo thing that I avoid legumes either.

And like I said, sometimes I endulge. I'll have a couple small pieces of chocolate a day, pizza once in a while, etc. But it still all gets counted. Some rare days I'll just eat whatever I want and not count; these days are usually saved for social obligations. However, if I weren't happy with my body composition, I would avoid the indulgence as much as possible.

-I drink mostly water, coffee, and tea. If I want something sweet and carbonated I'll go for sugar free. I don't make them a regular part of my diet, but I'm not afraid of artificial sweeteners. I think it's better than a massive sugar bomb, and I'd rather eat my calories.

My Current Routine
My daily nutritional habits fluctuate, but this is what I'm doing now.

-On mornings I don't lift I have a first breakfast of coffee, a few tablespoons of peanut butter, and a low sugar Greek yogurt or two.

-If I am lifting that morning I don't eat prior, I just lift right away. Afterwards I'll have my post workout shake that has unflavored whey, oats, and creatine. Sometimes a banana. This shake I measure and prepackage myself.

-I have my second breakfast after I get to work. It's a blended shake consisting of whey, a little frozen fruit, a seed mixture of some kind like flax and chia, and a bunch of some kind of frozen green vegetable like spinach, kale, or broccoli. You get used to the taste lol. I measure and prepackage this myself.

-I eat a snack of mixed nuts throughout the day. I measure and prepackage it myself.

-I eat two lunches spread out throughout the day (if I have time). They're usually both some kind of meat, usually chicken breast or pork sirloin to save the wallet. Some kind of startch, usually rice or potatoes. And some vegetables: a fibrous like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, or asparagus; then squash, onions, carrots, etc. I used to do a lot of this in the crock pot, but for the last few months I've really been into grilling and roasting. I measure, cook, prepackage, and freeze this every week or two.

-dinner is always with the family. My wife is usually pretty accommodating. It's generally a meat, vegetable, and starch. That's pretty easy to eyeball and count (if I weren't happy with my body comp if bust out the scale). Sometimes it's tacos or whatever but that's pretty easy to eyeball and count too if you pay attention. If it's spaghetti or something unhealthy and difficult to count she knows I'll be throwing some bacon and eggs on the stove.

-If we eat out it's usually something like Texas Roadhouse which is easy to count (watch those rolls! Lol). If we need something fast and easy burrito bowls are my go-to.

There you have it :)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

That is great post, G2B! You might want to make it into new thread.

I was very much the same for almost 10 years prior TB. I am just eyeballing my food now and playing with little extra activity if I overeat (brisk walks and such). I might just getting old.. :lol:

The only point I would slightly disagree is protein requirements. I'd say you are right if you are at calorie maintenance or deficit. You need much less protein if you are on calorie surplus..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Green2Blue wrote: -dinner is always with the family. My wife is usually pretty accommodating. It's generally a meat, vegetable, and starch. That's pretty easy to eyeball and count (if I weren't happy with my body comp if bust out the scale). Sometimes it's tacos or whatever but that's pretty easy to eyeball and count too if you pay attention. If it's spaghetti or something unhealthy and difficult to count she knows I'll be throwing some bacon and eggs on the stove.
Ha! This is just like my house! Usually we have a meat, vegetable, or starch for dinner, but if my wife and kids want to have something like lasagna or a starchy casserole or some such, my wife will pick up a steak I can throw in a frying pan.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

J-Madd wrote:
Green2Blue wrote: -dinner is always with the family. My wife is usually pretty accommodating. It's generally a meat, vegetable, and starch. That's pretty easy to eyeball and count (if I weren't happy with my body comp if bust out the scale). Sometimes it's tacos or whatever but that's pretty easy to eyeball and count too if you pay attention. If it's spaghetti or something unhealthy and difficult to count she knows I'll be throwing some bacon and eggs on the stove.
Ha! This is just like my house! Usually we have a meat, vegetable, or starch for dinner, but if my wife and kids want to have something like lasagna or a starchy casserole or some such, my wife will pick up a steak I can throw in a frying pan.
I could go on and on about the benefits of having a wife that supports your goals. I know I'm very fortunate in this.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Green2Blue wrote:[I could go on and on about the benefits of having a wife that supports your goals. I know I'm very fortunate in this.
x100!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

12/5/16
Strength (Operator I/A)
Block 5

Primary Lifts (95% Training Max)

SQ 3x2@320 lbs
BP 3x2@235 lbs
DL 3x2@455 lbs
https://instagram.com/p/BNo6HqCAGZn/

3 min rest

Accessory Complex

Pendlay Row
Box (bench) Jump
x3

1 min rest

Notes
-I was a little concerned about deads since I haven't done them in a couple weeks. However, they went up just fine. Spinal alignment could have been better, but I'll work on it. Deads will be progressed, which is nice because they weren't last block.

-Here are some pull-ups from earlier this week.
https://instagram.com/p/BNo6aicArLP/

-Was supposed to do dealoaded hill sprints last night but I was exhausted so I went home, ate dinner, and went to bed. I'll be doing them tonight.

-This week's lunch. https://instagram.com/p/BNo801kg5tN/
Last edited by Green2Blue on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:12/5/16
Strength (Operator I/A)
Block 5

Primary Lifts (95% Training Max)

SQ 3x2@320 lbs
BP 3x2@235 lbs
DL 3x2@455 lbs
https://instagram.com/p/BNo6HqCAGZn/

3 min rest

Accessory Complex

Pendlay Row
Box (bench) Jump
x3

1 min rest

Notes
-I was a little concerned about deads since I haven't done them in a couple weeks. However, they went up just fine. Spinal alignment could have been better, but I'll work on it. Deads will be progressed, which is nice because they weren't last block.

-Here are some pull-ups from earlier this week.
https://instagram.com/p/BNo6aicArLP/

-Was supposed to do dealoaded hill sprints last night but I was exhausted so I went home, ate dinner, and went to bed. I'll be doing them tonight.
Nice one!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

12/07/16
Conditioning (Black)
Block 5
Week 6

HIC: GC2

15:42

Notes
-Cut about 3 minutes from my time on GC2 last week.
-Workouts are a bit out of order due to the weather and the fact that I have a couple extra days before I can start block 6.
-I'll be doing a block 5 review post here when I've got the time for it.