Monster's Log

monster

Re: Monster's Log

Post by monster »

DocOctagon wrote:Curious why not Fighter/Bangkok instead? It seems made for your situation. 2 days of max strength, one day of KB work. You could go minimalist too, just the big 3 or something along those lines.
Fighter/Bangkok might work if I followed the minimum, 3x5 per session, but I am worried I will not progress if that's all I do.

I originally started Tactical Barbell with the Fighter template and got the feeling that it was less days of training, but more volume per day. Usually I see people dedicate two days to just Fighter work and train whatever else on the other days.

My current dilemma with this is that I am in the process of attempting to transition to a schedule where I train:

Monday: Judo x2
Tuesday: Judo
Wednesday: Judo
Thursday: Judo
Friday: Judo x2
Saturday: Judo x2
Sunday: OFF

This would make it a bit difficult for me to dedicate two days a week to Fighter. If I was to do both Fighter template and Judo on the same day, it seems Fighter would be more volume than Operator per day, unless I was to do the absolute bare minimum. In that case, I wonder if it would be better to do Operator or Zulu, so that I could spread the volume out over more days to be done in parallel with Judo.

Unless I am misunderstanding something about Fighter/Bangkok?

monster

Post by monster »

Operator Block 5 cont.

12/7/2016
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
WPU 3x5

KB Swing 5x10

Switched to high bar squat today which ended up feeling much better than low bar; actually felt a lot lighter on my upper body and didn't put any pressure on my elbows. Going to experiment with it a bit and maybe high bar more often.

monster

Post by monster »

12/8/2016
Judo

12/9/2016
Judo

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
WPU 3x5

12/10/2016
Judo

12/11/2016
Goblet Squat 1x5
RDL 1x5
KB Swings 5x10

Couldn't make it to the gym before they closed today so did KB work instead; make-up gym tomorrow.

monster

Post by monster »

12/12/2016
Judo

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

That brings an end to week 5 of this block, which I generally find to be the most difficult week of the block.

The weight is fine for low bar squat and a bit rough for high bar, but am finding that high bar feels better on my elbows, so am considering repeating the same weight doing high bar next block.

Bench could be smoother so will probably repeat the same weight next block. Strangely, deadlift felt easier than week 4.

Am currently deliberating whether to do 5 sets next block as suggested previously or try out fighter/bangkok. Do I need more or less?

Weight hasn't been going up so am going to bump calorie target up to 3200.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Don't jump from 3 to 5 sets. If you want to increase volume do it gradually. Go from 3 to 4. Then maybe 4 to 5. I went from 3 to 5 last block and it was a mistake. Feel free to read my block 5 review in my log.

And I wouldn't increase weight and volume at the same time.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:And I wouldn't increase weight and volume at the same time.
Amen to that!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

monster

Post by monster »

Green2Blue wrote:Don't jump from 3 to 5 sets. If you want to increase volume do it gradually. Go from 3 to 4. Then maybe 4 to 5. I went from 3 to 5 last block and it was a mistake. Feel free to read my block 5 review in my log.

And I wouldn't increase weight and volume at the same time.
I'll take a look thanks!
Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:And I wouldn't increase weight and volume at the same time.
Amen to that!
:oops:

monster

Post by monster »

Didn't update and missed judo due to a crazy work week, but still completed week 6 with a bit of a skewed schedule.

Operator Week 6
12/16/2016
Squat 3x2
Bench 3x2
WPU 3x2

12/17/2016
Goblet Squat 1x5
KB swing 5x10

12/18/2016
Squat 3x2
Bench 3x2
WPU 3x2

12/22/2016
Squat 3x2
Bench 3x2
Deadlift 3x2

12/23/2016
Goblet Squat 1x5
KB swing 5x10

Weights for the week felt good, so am going to update training maxes for next block as follows:

Squat 70 -> 75
Bench 55 -> 55
WPU 12.5 -> 15
Deadlift 82.5 -> 87.5

Swings are also feeling good so going to increase from 5x10 to 6x10.

My goal for the next month is to increase judo volume, so am currently deliberating how to approach strength training. Either:

1. Continue operator

2. Switch to fighter doing minimum # of sets

3. Switch to zulu to spread lifts out over more days

4. Any of the above but switch to just 2 lifts, maybe bench/deadlift or squat/wpu.

In addition to one of the above, swings 1-2x/week.

I am not very strong so feel like there's so much I want to focus on, but maybe I am trying to do too much. Sometimes feel like some of my problems might be solved by simply eating more.

Gyms and judo in my area are closed for the next week or 2 so going to take that time off to think about it. Am also searching for a new gym where I'll be able to go in the morning.

As always, any thoughts/feedback are appreciated!!

monster

Post by monster »

Still looking for new gym so no new block until then.

1/5/2017
Mobility

Sun salutation x3
Elevated hamstring stretch 3x30s
Foam roller calves 2x10
Extended child's pose

Kettlebell
Goblet Squat 1x5x16kg
2h swing 6x10x16kg

monster

Post by monster »