Pull up progression for the weak one?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
xfitxm

Re: Pull up progression for the weak one?

Post by xfitxm »

TBPenguin wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote:To combine with some of the ideas mentioned, here's the pull up program gaining a lot of traction with the Marine Corps due to their push to make pull-ups mandatory for women as well as men.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Docs/ ... gGuide.pdf
Thank you, this looks useful.
Really interesting program. I did fighter pullup and had great results but now it's too challenging to continue it.

For the marine one, I didn't get when I should do the ladder or pyramid or straight sets. Is it 3 times a day and each time is a different rep-scheme or it doesn't matter ?

Also how often do you retest your max for progression? Every 6 week like in OP or more often?

Thanks

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

xfitxm wrote:Really interesting program. I did fighter pullup and had great results but now it's too challenging to continue it.

For the marine one, I didn't get when I should do the ladder or pyramid or straight sets. Is it 3 times a day and each time is a different rep-scheme or it doesn't matter ?

Also how often do you retest your max for progression? Every 6 week like in OP or more often?

Thanks
On the right you can see the volume recommendations for what you should be working on. So if you can do 10 pull-ups currently, they recommend 3-5 days per week which total 150-240 pull-ups. So 3x a week would be 50-80 pull-ups in one training day, or 5x a week would be 30-48 pull-ups in one training day. You then break it up throughout the day any way you like. So if you did a pyramid (1-2-3-2-1), that's 9 reps right there. If you did that six times in one day (on a day off - upon waking up, mid-morning, after lunch, mid-afternoon, after dinner), you can hit 54 pull-ups in one day without too much difficulty. You could do two sessions at once to do it three times a day, or three sessions at once so you only have to do it twice a day (e.g. pyramid, rest 3 minutes, pyramid, rest 3 minutes, pyramid).

Just mix it up some days, and you don't always need to do the same volume. For example, if you did 54 pull-ups like before, the next day you could straight sets (e.g. 5x3 morning, noon, and night for a total of 45 reps). The main idea is do as many perfect reps as you can while fresh (very similar to GTG and Fighter Pull-Ups), and if form falters you use an easier assistance movement to finish your reps for the day.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

grouchyjarhead wrote:
xfitxm wrote:Really interesting program. I did fighter pullup and had great results but now it's too challenging to continue it.

Thanks
On the right you can see the volume recommendations for what you should be working on. So if you can do 10 pull-ups currently, they recommend 3-5 days per week which total 150-240 pull-ups. So 3x a week would be 50-80 pull-ups in one training day, or 5x a week would be 30-48 pull-ups in one training day. You then break it up throughout the day any way you like. So if you did a pyramid (1-2-3-2-1), that's 9 reps right there. If you did that six times in one day (on a day off - upon waking up, mid-morning, after lunch, mid-afternoon, after dinner), you can hit 54 pull-ups in one day without too much difficulty. You could do two sessions at once to do it three times a day, or three sessions at once so you only have to do it twice a day (e.g. pyramid, rest 3 minutes, pyramid, rest 3 minutes, pyramid).

Just mix it up some days, and you don't always need to do the same volume. For example, if you did 54 pull-ups like before, the next day you could straight sets (e.g. 5x3 morning, noon, and night for a total of 45 reps). The main idea is do as many perfect reps as you can while fresh (very similar to GTG and Fighter Pull-Ups), and if form falters you use an easier assistance movement to finish your reps for the day.
Thanks for the explanation :)

And for progression? How often do we retesting for a new max?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Under the intensity section, they recommend a set of max reps every month or so and it's the only session done that day.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote: Under the intensity section, they recommend a set of max reps every month or so and it's the only session done that day.
Grouchy, do you think that pyramid (1-2-3-2-1) can be done in place of fighter for modified BB?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Under the intensity section, they recommend a set of max reps every month or so and it's the only session done that day.
Oh nice thank you. I think it's the only section I didn't read thrice. :lol:

Have you used it? If yes, how was your results?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Ugh, wrong button haha.

I think it easily could be, depending on your pull up max. In this particular instance, if you were doing 5 days a week like in modified BB and you needed to hit 30-48 reps per day to hit 150-240, you could wave the amount of pyramids each day (5-3-4-5-3) to give you 180 total reps for the week.

As for trying this exact approach, no but I have used one similar in the past. It's what got me up to 54 consecutive pull-ups (albeit at 50 pounds lighter) back in my Marine Corps days. Frequent training sets, never to failure, GTG-style though we didn't know that's what it was called then. It was just hitting the pull-up bar several times a day.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Ugh, wrong button haha.

I think it easily could be, depending on your pull up max. In this particular instance, if you were doing 5 days a week like in modified BB and you needed to hit 30-48 reps per day to hit 150-240, you could wave the amount of pyramids each day (5-3-4-5-3) to give you 180 total reps for the week.

As for trying this exact approach, no but I have used one similar in the past. It's what got me up to 54 consecutive pull-ups (albeit at 50 pounds lighter) back in my Marine Corps days. Frequent training sets, never to failure, GTG-style though we didn't know that's what it was called then. It was just hitting the pull-up bar several times a day.
Thanks! Makes sense.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Ugh, wrong button haha.

I'm looking forward to try it. It encourages me :)

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Grouchy, do you think that pyramid (1-2-3-2-1) can be done in place of fighter for modified BB?[/quote]

I never found a traditional pyramid that effective for adding extra volume. I always liked the wave from pavels beyond bodybuilding. From memory the original drill involves a partner and alternating sets until you have a single good rep in the bank and then restarting e.g 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5 ..... Repeat till 5 is too hard.

You can do the same thing on your own, but take a set amount of breaths in the rest between to give yourself some recovery time.I like this more because each set of 1,2,3,4,5 is 15 total reps. If your current max is 8-10, you will be able to pump out these waves for multiple round with minimal issues. You can GTG or do it in one or two sessions. It's very easy to get that total volume up and it doesn't even feel hard.