Green2Blue TB Log

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: Green2Blue TB Log

Post by K.B. »

Yup, even the shorter 3 week max strength approaches are great, especially when you tack on another domain right after or after a rest week, kinda like this;

Max Strength x 3 weeks
SE x 2-3 weeks
Rest x 1 week

Or

Max strength x 3 wks
Rest x 1 wk
SE x 3 wks

This kind of scheduling is a more orthodox approach to multi-domain fitness.

As to the loading pattern for a shorter cycle - just follow the first or last 3 weeks of your chosen template. As long as you get a 70% to 90% range from start to finish you're good to go.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

J-Madd wrote:
K.B. wrote:
Green2Blue wrote: 3-6 weeks strength
1 week mobility/stretching/movement drills (no heavy lifting)
repeat

For natural athletes 40-50+, shorter periods of sustained effort can be a more tactical approach, versus grinding on for long periods of time.
This sort of plan is definitely working really well for me! Green2Blue, you aren't in that age range yet, but there is nothing wrong with preemption.
I should rephrase that- older athletes and/or high mileage crosstraining athletes. Both tend to share similar training issues. By mileage I mean overall training volume, not specific to running.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

K.B. wrote: I should rephrase that- older athletes and/or high mileage crosstraining athletes. Both tend to share similar training issues. By mileage I mean overall training volume, not specific to running.
Great point. "Training age" is just as important (maybe more so) than "calendar age."

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

K.B. wrote:Yup, even the shorter 3 week max strength approaches are great, especially when you tack on another domain right after or after a rest week, kinda like this;

Max Strength x 3 weeks
SE x 2-3 weeks
Rest x 1 week

Or

Max strength x 3 wks
Rest x 1 wk
SE x 3 wks

As to the loading pattern for a shorter cycle - just follow the first or last 3 weeks of your chosen template. As long as you get a 70% to 90% range from start to finish you're good to go.
KB, what would you say if assistance work with rep range of 8-12 is done in place of SE for a 1-3 weeks in between OP 3weeks mini blocks? Would that be good approach? And how would you go about conditioning part in this case? Keeping HIC around or replacing it with E?

Thank you!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

K.B. wrote:Yup, even the shorter 3 week max strength approaches are great, especially when you tack on another domain right after or after a rest week, kinda like this;

Max Strength x 3 weeks
SE x 2-3 weeks
Rest x 1 week

Or

Max strength x 3 wks
Rest x 1 wk
SE x 3 wks

Thank you for the input. I'll implement a plan based on your recommendation. I appreciate that you stay engaged with your community.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Scratch this. See "Revised Continuation Plan" on 1/1/17.
Last edited by Green2Blue on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:Ok folks. Sorry about the delay here. I ended up getting pretty sick right after I decided to revamp my training plan so I had to take some time off. I've actually been training for about a week now but just haven't had time to

I've gotten a lot of great advice lately and I have created a plan based on this advice, my goals, and how much I think I can mentally handle slowing my training.

First things first I've switched to Zulu I/A Black with an 8 day training week. My reason for this was to include the push press and power clean in my training without always relying on assistance lifts. All workouts will be started with and finished with plenty of mobility work. I'll also do mobwod at a separate time of the day.

I'll do three, 3 week mini-blocks at a reduced training maximums (80% /85%/90%), with no assistance lifts or anything extra. This is my recovery/refocus phase.

Once that phase is done I'll do a "Week 7", just a week where I retest, deload, do a few SE workouts, and double up on mobility work.

After this I'll return to standard 6 week blocks at 90% TM. At this point ill implement some kind of auto-regulation where I can ramp up the intensity if, and only if, I feel like I have the energy for it. For example extra sets, accessory work, finishers, etc. If I'm having an off day I'll just do the bare bones primary lifts. Accessories and other extras are no longer a permanent part of my training.

Each standard block will be broken up by a "Week 7".

Another change is no more constant forced progression. I need to start retesting again so I can be honest with myself and maintain a more accurate 90% TM. I'll probably rotate every block between retesting, and forcing progression or staying where I'm at depending on the lift. I need to retest, but I don't want to do it every block because I still feel that constant retesting is too stressful mentally and physically.

So there we go. My next post will be my plan for Mini-Block 1, which I'm actually half a week into already. Playing catch up on my log lol.

And thanks again for all of the great input I've gotten on all of this.
I can see a lot of wisdom in all your points as well as good spirit in your honesty with yourself..

Best of luck to you! I'll be reading your logs, mate!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Thanks Bark. It's good to be back at it and have a plan. I'm determined to find the formula that allows me to push my performance to the next level, without breaking myself lol.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Looks like a solid plan G2B. Keep in mind there is a 3rd option--- staying with the same weight for several blocks until you "grow into it". No need to retest or force progression. It works. It's all about getting used to the load as KB outlines in the books. TB is perfectly set-up to act as a natural plateau buster (submaximal/frequent) if you let it be for a while.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Aelian wrote:Looks like a solid plan G2B. Keep in mind there is a 3rd option--- staying with the same weight for several blocks until you "grow into it". No need to retest or force progression. It works. It's all about getting used to the load as KB outlines in the books. TB is perfectly set-up to act as a natural plateau buster (submaximal/frequent) if you let it be for a while.
x1000

I can't stress enough how much I agree with this line of thinking. At the end of the day it's about getting comfortable enough with a certain amount of weight so you can level up. Once you level up, it starts all over again, discomfort until you keep putting the reps in and you're comfortable again. It stands to reason that as you get to more advanced levels you might need to spend more time with the same loads until they become "comfortable".

With that said, I'll throw my hat in the ring here G2B, but have you thought about just leaving the weights the same for a few blocks until you really own them? This might even give you the opportunity to pay attention to other areas of training like your cardio.